This Is A Rather Morbid Way To Sell A Product - Simulated Drowning

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ohiotom76 • Apr 28, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll warn you there is some strong language and disturbing imagery at the link below, but it's actually part of a larger promotion for life jackets.

This is pretty creepy on so many levels. But it's even more surprising that something like this is being used to promote a product. It also kind of leaves you wondering, why did that "Charles" guy leave him out there like that instead of turning around. Was this a set up of some sort? Why did he rip his fingernail off? Why did he keep cupping his hands like that? So many questions.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh my.

As for your last questions, I didn't think anything malicious at all. I just saw it as the guy not knowing how to get it turned around to go get him.

And yeah, it's a little strange to have the product placement at the end, but I think it's a good "public service announcement" overall. I don't think anyone is going to run out and buy that specific brand after watching the video, but they may think twice about putting their life jacket on next time. It's more of a "sponsored by" type message, which I'm more okay with.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, its for the shock value, if people viewed this and they find it amusing enough, eventually they will share it to their friends and whoever and the video will get the hype and the product will be advertised, its not really a matter of sales here but more of an advertising strategy.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I refused to watch it because of the warning you gave. Is it worse than the amount of adverts we have on TV today yelling at us to get life insurance before we die? I find that pretty offensive.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, it's not. Basically, it just simulates someone falling off a boat and the boat not being able to come back. You try to get to the surface by clicking the mouse and it'll allow you to get to the surface a few times. As you're doing this, you can hear "yourself" yelling to the guy on the boat and the exchange back and forth. There are various stats that come on the screen to indicate how long it takes for your muscles to tire out, your last breath, etc. And then at the end, after it's over, there is a single logo for the life jacket brand that says to remember to always wear your life jacket. There aren't ads throughout or anything that specifically says to buy their life jacket even. It's implied, of course, but it's not an overwhelming amount of advertising.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Indeed it is. But it is very effective and convincing. It's something one will get into thinking, probably into buying after being panic-stricken.