Thoughts On A Minimalist Wardrobe

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jan 13, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Truth be told, we all don't need too many clothes. There are many people however who prefer to have many clothes because they like to or are forced by circumstances [everyone has their reasons] to wear different clothes every day.

For those of you who don't have to wear different "outfits" every day, would you to save money, buy only a few clothes which you'll wear more regularly?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I would agree that its all to easy to land up with way more clothes than are actually needed - my thoughts are - that going to the extreme of having so few clothes that you were repeatedly wearing the same outfit - would to be false economy - especially considering the fact that the less you rotate clothes - the quicker they wear out and need replacing - but think it totally unnecessary too.

As to be honest the more cost effective and way better alternate - would be to always buy good quality clothing in styles and colors that are versatile enough to mix and match with the majority of clothes that you already have - as only does it save a great deal of money - but with a closet full of clothes that can all be mixed and matched as well as dressed up or down to suit every occasion - you never have worry about what to wear wherever you are going or the possibility of any clothes sitting in the closet not getting worn - as everything gets regularly rotated.

In fact even if on a tight budget you generally can't go too far wrong - just a having a few well chosen pieces of clothing that can easily be mixed and matched to look like entirely different outfits - particularly as by doing that - not only will you be keeping the cost down - but you won't look or feel like you are wearing the same clothes all the time.

Fortunately as I do need a wide variety of different outfits and do already do this - cutting back on my clothing budget is not something that I have to worry about - as I really only ever buy new clothes when something actually needs replacing and as that is generally only a few items each season - even better - as I usually pick up those items at end of season sale time - when my favorite stores sell high quality items at knockdown prices.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have quite a few clothes and I am not a minimalist, but I do take more care in what I buy now. I do not buy clothes that I am not going to wear much once I get them home. The rule is that if you do not love it in the store, you will not love it and wear it a lot at home.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I worked at home I would definitely have way less clothes than I do. But working at a multinational company, in the corporate environment, it makes it impossible not to have many options. People are nosy and always paying attention of what others are wearing, not to mention what you achieve is closely related to how you present yourself. It's the unfortunate true... sometimes it's not about your capacity, ability or efficiency, but the way you look. So it is important to have good quality and several option clothing and shoes on your wardrobe.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I would say that unless you work from home, you might need a few outfits to work outside the home. Then you have to think about how fast you wear your clothes out. Having few clothes is a bad idea of you only buy cheaply made clothes. Then you have to remember that accidents happen and you get messy doing certain things. Also, there are going to be times when you lose or gain weight so if you can't fit those clothes anymore, what are you going to do? Buy more clothes.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I have a minimalist wardrobe before, usually only wearing university clothes because they're cheap and they give something to wear day by day. However, I noticed that they wear out easily due to constant washing and I'm also trying to mix up my wardrobe a little bit because I wanna prepare when I finally work in the industry. Having a great sense of fashion is a must as you work your way up the corporate ladder so I'm trying to improve the way I pick my clothes, and I'm also starting to increase the number of clothes on my wardrobe.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like to do a bit of both and buy cheap clothes but lots of them so I can mix and match as much as I want and as long as I put them together well it doesn't really look cheap at all. These days there are so many cheap brands and stores competing for attention that a lot of them end up costing very little and even though from time to time I like to buy some luxurious items I tend to fill my wardrobe with lots of cheap clothes as a foundation.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you work from home then I think that it is ok to not have that many clothes, but if you work outside from home then you have no choice but to buy more clothes. You don't want to wear the same old clothes everyday to work, right?