Thoughts On Plastic Surgery?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DonnaIReilly • Sep 25, 2013.

1. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I find people who need plastic surgery for health reasons fine, but why have plastic surgery for no reason at all. I mean is it me or do some stars take plastic surgery way too far?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Without a doubt, there are a lot of people who take things too far when it comes to changing things about their body. However, I think that only one thing matters: were they helped with the decision, and are they paying for it? If they have had counselling before they go ahead, and they are paying for it from their own pocket, then I say that it's fine, and it's their business what they do.

If, however, they are trying to use the NHS to get surgery for things that aren't medically essential, then I wouldn't think that should be allowed.

That being said, I am aware that some people have severe psychological trauma because of some aspects of their appearance, so each case does need to be taken on its own, but I'm fairly sure that those people are in the minority.

Other than anything else, it's surgery, it's risky. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

3. SierraW23

SierraW23New Member

Threads:
    There are definitely people that take plastic surgery to extreme levels. People don't feel comfortable or confident in their own skin when there is so much pressure to look "perfect" and "flawless". I think it's sad and frustrating. I don't believe in plastic surgery- for myself that is. I don't believe a person should have surgery unless it's a necessity. For example, female rap artist Lil' Kim, has altered her face so much that it's almost no trace of how she looked before left. People don't understand how serious plastic surgery is in the first place. It involves some harsh and life threatening procedures. I have seen on Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz, people that have taken it to a new level, doing the surgery themselves. Doing something like that yourself is unsafe and can be unsanitary as well. I agree with Gemma Rowlands- if it's not broke, don't fix it.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Even if it is small details, i think it always look bad because it always look artificial, bounding the uncanny valley sometimes. Also, for the price of those things, i think it's just better to forget about it.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't believe that peolpe would have plastic surgery for no reason at all. Everybody has a reason to undergo plastic surgery and most of the reasons are for enhancing beauty. Now, I don't have any problem with these enhancements. For instance, I met a girl and I fell in love with her, then I find out that she's had plastic surgery in her nose. Would I dump her? Nope. Everybody has a right to do what he or she wants as long as they don't bump the rights of others.

6. Danna Brown

Danna BrownNew Member

Threads:
    I agree, I find that the more pressure the media puts on people to look a certain way, the more some people choose to alter themselves. Its as if they aren't happy with who they are. So they go through great lengths to change whatever someone else has told them doesn't look okay. Its like telling God that He didn't know what He was doing when He decided to create you. So they go through great lengths to change His work.

Also here's some thing to think about... if you were born with something different about you, like for example an overgrown ear, God uses people with differences to show the world how to love others unconditionally. In other words, when people without the difference see you, they are forced to challenge themselves to look past your difference and love you the same as everyone else. Oh, what a mighty tool you are. Not to man but to God. So, a word to the wise... be careful how you treat people, their value isn't in their appearance!

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with people who opt for plastic surgery, but I believe that it should not be available on the NHS unless you were involved in an accident or something. I also think there should be a limit to how many you are allowed to have.

8. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    I think that if someone can afford it and it's nothing too extreme (if you want to change your entire face, multiple body features, etc.), I don't think it's a horrible thing. Some people live with natural traits their whole lives that make them insecure, and for some it doesn't matter how many people in their lives love them for the person they are. The person with the "blemish" (in their mind) may only see that. If it's not too much of a hassle to change this trait, and it gives the person the confidence they need to excel in life personally and professionally, I don't think it's a huge problem.

#8Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  9. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I am against plastic surgery unless it is for medical reasons. I consider it mutilating our bodies just because of vanity, but this is just my opinion, of course I respect any person that is willing to go through that pain and can afford it.

10. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I definitely think people take it way too far. I agree that most of them should be for medical reasons, but I completely understand why some are not. I think a lot of people decide to do it and know it's dangerous, but truly don't understand to the fullest. I believe if it isn't something that's medical, you should only get it if you're so unhappy that you can't live your life without having it done. You only have one life to live and you shouldn't be miserable, but at the same time you can't just act like it's nothing and do it every other week for whatever dumb reason that comes to mind. If you have to have 3 or more than I believe that's when you should seek some help because it may not be that you just want to fix something, you could be having unrealistic expectations of how you should look or be. I think that more celebs should starting embracing how they look instead of changing it. I know so many girls, 14 years and younger, that are already talking about all the things they hate about their bodies and I think that's so sad.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think plastic surgery is fine if needed but to get it just for the heck of it no. Some stars have gotten so many surgiers they look like Barbie that's taking it beyond too far.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't read through the replies yet, so i apologize if I'm repeating anything.. but mental health is as important as physical and the two are sort of intertwined. I feel badly for people that hate things about them so much that they feel the need to permanently alter them. And more times than not, they can't stop there.. meaning it's not what they think that is causing their unhappiness and there is definitely a need for some counselling to figure it out. Other than that and the fact that too many people don't look hard enough for the right doctor or care enough about the risks.. it's up to the person and I hope they get the results they were hoping for.

13. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    It has gotten a bit out of control in my opinion. If you go to South Korea, there are so many advertisement of plastic surgery flyer everywhere including in the bus,the train,the subway. I notice the difference between Asia and U.S plastic surgery addiction as well. In Asia,it's all about the face. Eyes is the most famous one and followed by nose in some country or cheek bones in South Korea from what my friend told me. At least in U.S a lot of the celebrities before and after picture look about the same, In Asia they can look completely different

. Recently there's a big news about how all the Beauty pageants that compete for Miss Korea look the same .In U.S,it's more about the body. It's a big phenomena that girls asked for breast implant for their 16th birthday. I have friends who asked that to their parents. I thought that was bizarre. In China,there was a husband who sued his wife for misleading him to get married without revealing that she has plastic surgery until after the baby was born and he thinks the baby is way too ugly compare to both of them. You can see the story more and some pictures here

I had a friend who did the same thing. had plastic surgery on her entire face and her nose was done TEN TIMES because it broke couple times. scary business.

14. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    When it comes to my personal beliefs for myself, I do not believe in plastic surgery. I have flaws. I lost a lot of weight, so I have some pudge and stretch marks in my belly area, but I've learned to live with it. I just don't think going through a surgical procedure for something so vain is something I could do unless their were health benefits attached. However, if someone else chooses to go under the knife, that is their own decision, and I don't feel like I should impact it. :)

15. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    In this case it wouldn't shock me if you had plastic surgery to remove those stretch marks from your past. Some people that have lost a lot of weight would do better doing it if they can afford it in my opinion.

16. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    Some people do reconstructive surgery. This kind of surgery is done to restore the function or appearance after an accident or injury. Some people undergo surgery to enhance their appearance or for beautification purposes. Personally I don't want to undergo any surgery just to improve myself, I love the way I look, although I don't have anything against those who are willing to undergo this kind of surgery.

17. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    My thoughts on plastic surgery are very black and white. I feel like plastic surgery isn't necessary for people who don't have a disfigured face from any accident, etc. plastic surgery should only be done if the person was born with a certain condition or if something happened to them in life.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On the contrary. . .

It's up to the individual to decide whether or not they should go for plastic surgery. If they can afford it and they feel they could do with some artificial beautification then heck, they should go for it. The risk however is that sometimes the result isn't what you expect. I remember at one time an old actress who wished to look younger got some plastic surgery and [after the operation] she had this fixed expression of being astonished on her face forever.

So if someone's willing to face the risks involved. . .

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know yet how I feel about cosmetic plastic surgery... if you have a deviated septum on your nose, for example, I think it's great to have surgery, cause it will improve your breathing and make your nose look nice on the process. However, for stuff like silicone, tummy tuck, or even butt implants.... are those really necessary?
    Butt implants are so easy to go wrong! In my country they are somewhat common, cause it's men's favorite thing, but I saw true horror stories about them going terribly wrong...
    Tummy tucks are overated. You do them and sure, it might look good (if you don't look at the scars) but if you are not really careful they might just go back to what it was.
    And for silicone on the breasts... I don't know why people want big breasts! Mine are naturally big, and you have back aches, it's uncomfortable to have exercises, and clothes are harder to fit......
    So bottom line for me is, if you are so dead set that having plastic surgery and think that will make you happier, think a lot about it, read online, be prepared. But seriously think about it and make a wise conscious decision.

20. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    It isn't for me, but if it makes people happy, who cares? It's not my body, so not my problem.

With that said though, some people take it too far and put their health in danger. That is never a good idea and really not worth it. If you don;t have your health, you don't have anything.