Thoughts On Playing Alpha Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Radix24 • Feb 10, 2015.

1. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    One of the new "fads" in Steam is the rise of the number of alpha state games. Alpha state means that the game is no done, yet people are flocking to get the games. I have seen thoughts by a youtuber named TotalBiscuit, and I am mulling over it.

I have a few Alpha state games in my Steam library. They are Kerbal Space Program, From The Depths, and Kinetic Void. So far, I only regretted getting Kinetic Void. In general, the other games are fun for me.

Alpha state games seem to run on trust. Trust that the games will be finished. One good thing is that you now get free updates after you get the game.

Thoughts?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy into Alpha games, in my opinion among the games in your library Kerbal Space Program is one of the few better Alpha titles out there, the exception to the norm. Many other early access titles like Planetary Annihilation turned out to be absolute flops which did not deliver on their promises to early backers.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kerbal Space Program is in beta, not alpha. Alpha is basically a better tech demo.

Anyway, yeah, I would never buy an early access game. No reason to do it. Especially not after 2014 where we had a ton of games being shut down, released out of early beta and other stuff happening to them.

4. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Kerbal just recently turned beta, a bought it when it was still Alpha. It was a few months ago, and it is still delivering. I only play it when a new update is up though. I do not want to make it lose its appeal too much before the full game arrive. Have not played with the mods yet. Also, I guess we shall see how Alpha games will fare this year

I know the drill. I was not swayed by Planetary Annihilation. Alpha games are indeed risky.

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    The idea behind both alphas and betas is sound. Developers get their products tested and kinks get worked out. Or, that's the way it was meant to be. The problem is people are playing them just for the sake of playing them rather than trying to influence the product to be better.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Man, as if there wasn't enough Early Access disasters already, here we go with another..