Thoughts on T-Mobile?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by primaLucid • Dec 16, 2014.

1. primaLucid

primaLucidNew Member

Threads:
    What are your guys' thoughts on T-Mobile? I've had T-Mobile since I got my first phone. Although there are some complaints about poor service, which I somewhat agree on, T-Mobile is fairly cheap compared to other providers, and it works fine for me. I get an average of 2-3 bars, which isn't the best, but hey, if it provides service and allows me to search online and call/text people, I'm not complaining.

What are your guys' experience with T-Mobile? How about other providers?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer T-Mobile as it is more flexible, you can change plans every 30 days which helps when you have had a contract that holds you back. The website at times can be difficult and slow whenever I go online to top up, but I prefer it as it gives you a sim card so you can use it in other phones as well. I like the choice to do that and also there is less small print than AT&T which loves to complicate any plan with restrictions and additions.

3. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    T-Mobile Bills......

I was thinking that T-Mobile was cheaper than most as well, but lately the huge bills that we have been getting makes me wonder? I'm thinking about taking another look at the other companies. We've been with them for years, and it seems to have just gotten more and more expensive.

4. chelessweeps

chelessweepsNew Member

Threads:
    I Am Unimpressed

I have been with T-Mobile for over 12 years. I was with them when they were Voicestream. I was very happy with them for about the first 9 or 10 years other than the fact that their coverage was not as good as some other carriers. Over the last 2 years or so I have had so many horrible experiences dealing with their customer service reps. I had a discount that was being applied because of my employer that they took off without notifying me and it took numerous calls and almost an act of congress to get it back. The majority of my issues have been with their personnel in their retail stores. In my most recent visit earlier this week, we were largely ignored and 2 customers that came in after us were helped first. We finally walked out after over 20 minutes of waiting to be served. As soon as our contracts are up, we will most certainly go elsewhere!!

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like T-Mobile. I've purchased my first phone there too. I only wanted the prepaid plan which was offered to me when I turned down the contract plans. I don't know if other mobile services offer prepaid plans but if Verizon offered it I would probably go with them because of the service areas it covers.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    T-Mobile was my first contract wireless provider. I was very happy with them. I would get reception even when my friends who had Verizon didn't. When my contract ended, I switched to a prepay plan. It was only supposed to be for a short time, but I enjoy being contact free.

If I ever decide to go back to a contract wireless plan, I would choose T-Mobile. I know that some people have problems with them, but I experienced no big problems when I was with them.

7. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    So, I just transferred to T-Mobile from MetroPCS. So far I am a fan of the service. I haven't had to call customer service yet, but in years past when I did use them they were really great! I didn't mind calling when I had an issue because they were so quick to get my issue fixed. I love that they have now moved from the whole contract thing and you can now just buy the phone (which is unlocked) and buy a plan with no penalty if you want to stop service. Then you have the other option where you pay the taxes on a cell phone and then make payments that are then added to your monthly bill, which is pretty cool. The only downfall about that is that I am tied to a contract. I'm on my mom's phone plan NOW so I can't just up an leave. Not until I have been on her plan for at least a year, but at least that is better than the 2 years she started out with.

8. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I've had T-mobile for maybe 7 or 8 years now.

When I first got my phone I was okay with it, it did what it was meant for; since I was going to school it helped if I could call someone if I had gotten sick or something.

Few years passed and I was just over it, they started to get really bad and we were very frustrated about the whole thing (at least I was). Despite this, I stuck with T-Mobile for a few reasons
    • I had the other major carriers and I wasn't impressed
    • They were the cheapest
    • I was on a family plan
    The major thing that I didn't like was the contract, it was such a pain to deal with, but at least back then we could get subsidized phones if we were on a 2 year contract plan.

Recently, I have become more and more intrigued by them, they have gotten rid of contracts, and you can get phones without paying anything up front; but pay on the phone every month. The plans are still fairly cheap, $80 for the plan itself (individual plan is $50); but the fees, taxes, and EIP have taken us over $100.

So I have had my ups and downs with them, I presume that happens with all companies every now and then.

9. Teri Rose

Teri RoseNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think T-Mobile is horrible but I also wouldn't say they were the best. I live in a brand new housing area with horrible reception. I have no service in my house, actually its difficult to get any cell service in my neighborhood. So I do like that they have Wi-Fi calling or else having a cell phone would be useless to me here at home. I think T-Mobile is more appealing because you don't have to be on a contract and if you aren't satisfied you don't have to worry about getting out of it.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I've heard mixed reviews for T Mobile. Heard they are affordable. I did some research into them when I was picking a new cell phone provider. Ultimately I went with Sprint because they had the best combination of coverage area and pricing. T Mobile's coverage is weak in a lot of areas of the country.

11. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    The thing that sold me on T Mobile is the ability to get free internet world wide. I've had iPhones from ATT for years, and every time I was leaving the country, I was terrified I was going to be charged data fees. I had to turn everything off before I left, which meant I ended up with an iPhone that did nothing except make a basic call - it couldn't even check voicemail.

With the T Mobile phone, you get off the plane, or drive to Canada, turn on the phone and use it to check maps, get directions, or anything else you want to do - for free. That ability sold me on T Mobile, and I can't imagine going back to another carrier.

12. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    My first cell phone was from T-Mobile, and I loved it. Worked great, no problems with it at all. My next few phones were from them as well, didn't have any problems. I also liked that they had pay as you go minutes. I could go into a grocery store, or where ever, and buy a T-Mobile card and load my phone via that bought card with $10.00 or $20.00 worth of minutes. I used those minutes without having to pay 50-70 a month for a bill.

I don't use T-Mobile now, because I use a phone that someone gave me that is not T-Mobile, but I would go back to them in a second.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually switched to T-Mobile last summer after being a Verizon subscriber for over 10 years. For the most part I've been pleased with their service. In particular I am happy that I don't have to commit to a two year contract with them. However you really cannot enjoy that freedom unless you pay for your phone up front, or buy your own phone elsewhere that will work with their service (which is probably the better route if you don't want a T-Mobile logo on your phone). I'm on the $50 a month plan with them, which is actually around $64 a month once you figure in taxes and fees, and it has been serving me well. I only use about 1/4th of my 1GB of data per month since I am primarily at home with my phone, which uses my Wi-Fi for data unless I'm out and about.

My two big issues with them so far though are coverage issues, and that their so called "unlimited" data is very deceiving. Their coverage is either crystal clear or completely non-existent, there is no middle ground. There are small areas near me where I simply cannot get any reception at all. One of them being a local grocery store, which sucks because sometimes I need to call my family about certain items while I'm at the store and I can't now. The "unlimited" data drops you down to what is essentially 2G, which is completely useless. You can barely even open an email with speeds that slow, let alone browse the web. Facebook is so unresponsive it's useless.

Also, on my Galaxy Note 3, they bundle a lot of apps on their phones that you cannot take off. Worse yet, they will push out auto updates which will re-enable them if you've disabled them. There are some days my phone goes bonkers with all sorts of auto updates from T-Mobile and Samsung being pushed out which I cannot stop and kills my battery.

I have not been into any of the stores yet for service since I handled everything online when I switched over to T-Mobile. But I can tell you that Verizon is not any better. I've had to wait for well over an hour to get to speak with a rep on some days, and when I was with Sprint prior to that, it was the same problem.

14. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I had T-moblie before, now I use Metro PCS, which is now owned by T-moblie, and the service is okay. I guess you get what you pay for, and the phones are now better since they merged with T-moblie. I like prepaid services myself.

15. westmixxin

westmixxinMember

Threads:
    I had t’mobile but it’s not really my kind of service because it’s really slow and not really as good as they advertise. They make it seem as if it’s so good but it’s not.

16. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I am actually quite satisfied with T-Mobile. I do know that for some reason they have a reputation as a bad and cheap choice, but to be honest I never faced any problem through out all these years .

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it was mainly their competitor's advertising that gave T-Mobile a bad reputation in the past. Also, I believe they often did not carry the most cutting edge phones years ago, and often had cheaper models instead, which likely reflected poorly on their perception too.

I've been on T-Mobile for a year now and haven't really had all that much trouble with them beside what I mentioned earlier on this thread. Their mobile data, particularly if you are tethering your phone so you can get online with your laptop or desktop, is really fast - like several times faster than my actual landline cable internet connection. Of course those fast speeds are short lived since you can easily hit your monthly data cap in no time. I'm on the 1GB per month plan and if I even watch a couple shows via that connection, I've hit my cap in no time flat.