Threadmill

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Strykstar • Apr 14, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you think it's worth it to buy a treadmill for the home?
    I always think I'd rather go out or a run but then when it's raining I go running and think I should get a treadmill, which option is the best?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We would never buy one for ourselves. We have a gym membership and tons of places to run outside. But my husband is just like you. Having a treadmill here would mean being able to run when it is dark outside or raining or whatever. Also means being able to run and also have the kids home.

My parents actually just gave us their old treadmill. Our current house doesn't have room for it but we just bought a new place and my husband is super excited to have it there. I should update in a year to say how much it got used!

One thing I will say is that you can find treadmills on Craigslist (or FB garage sale pages) for a fraction of their retail value and most are in great condition because so many people buy them with good intentions but then never use them.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends. For most people, it's not worth it because they have great intentions of using it frequently and then never do.

For someone who DOES work out, though, and prefers to do it at home instead of running outside or going to a gym, then I think they can be great additions and well worth the price.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! I've been looking in Craigslist and a few Facebook pages, it's much cheaper in these places than in actual sporting good stores.
    I just want to convince myself that it won't just be collecting dust in a corner and taking up a ton of space.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I have considered it. That being said, I am training for my first half and this has been a long winter. Our apartment complex has one now, so I didn't need to yet. I would likely buy one on Craigslist and I know I would use it, but still can't get myself to pay 100% full. I also know how boring treadmill running is to me...so I wouldn't be able to mentally use it every single day!

6. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I think actual running is better than using a treadmill.

I say that because when i a jogging on on the local track, or around my neighborhood. I get tired much faster than i would on a treadmill. I think there has to be something to that. Regular jogging gives me a better workout. I know a lot of people do not like t be challenged, but i do.

That is how i know what i am doing is actually working. I would have to choose old fashioned jogging based on that. if you can find a cheap treadmill that won't hurt your wallet, buy it. Why not?

However if it is going to be a big investment for you, it wouldn't be worth it.

7. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    It's because you're running on a different surface, and depending on if you're running around the neighbourhood, you're running on a few different surfaces, which tire you out faster. Depending upon the treadmill, you can change the surface and slope, to increase the workout.

8. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you are looking for.

I think that having a treadmill in your home would be extremely convenient. You would not have to go to the gym, or jog on the streets in your neighborhood. However. For all of the convenience you gain. You will lose efficiency . It definitely burns more calories to run on a natural surface instead of a treadmill.

It basically depends on if you are willing to sacrifice efficiency for convenience.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I guess if I start watching the TV shows I watch on the treadmill instead of the couch, that would cancel out the decrease of efficiency :D
    I think getting the treadmill might be the best option, I can still go out for a jog if it's a great running weather out, but I still have the choice to use the treadmill when it isn't.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's worth it if you use it. For most people it's not worth it because they buy it, use a few times when they first buy it and then will never use it again. If it's someone who is disciplined and actually uses it a few times a week, and also someone who does not walking and exercising outside, then long term it'a a better deal than paying for a gym.

11. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    When I have my own home gym in the basement I will be getting a treadmill and lots of other equipment. I like to put them on a high incline as its good for the bum :p I also love running and I feel really self conscious running outside so I love a treadmill

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    So you currently use a treadmill at the gym?
    Just curious if you don't feel self conscious there, although it might be understandable since you're in a place where everyone is there specifically to work out.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would like one, admittedly. However I see it as a very frivolous expense when there are much cheaper ways of exercising. Even running itself can be done for free outside. Maybe if I was seriously rich I would invest in one, but not at the moment or for the foreseeable future.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I also thought the same thing before. If you have money, and you can easily afford buying a quality treadmill, then you may just buy as I don't see that it's going to hurt your budget for your monthly expenses. But if you don't, then just better go outside and run. If raining is what's bothering, consider the frequency of the rain. If it rains more often than it does not, then it would be really worth it. If not then just go out and then run. Besides running on a treadmill for an hour will make you a little bored as your surrounding is never changing. Unlike when you run outside, in every second, the scenes you changes. Another thing you might want to consider is the time and the monitor. If you are really particular about the calories that you are burning, the time that it's taking you, and your distance, treadmill will keep on providing you this.