Thrift Shopping.

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Casiox • Jul 27, 2016.

1. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone, I do not really consider myself as a person who attends to thrift shops because I do not really trust on the quality of their clothes and products whatsoever, yesterday I thought about getting some new shoes for going to my family's field and I do not really know if I might find anything good there, so what do you guys recommend me? shall I buy new shoes from a normal shop or shall I try thrift shopping?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To work in the field? I'd probably pick up a pair of boots or something at a thrift store. Make sure sanitize them. Since they aren't footwear that you will be wearing on a regular basis, it could work. I wouldn't typically buy used shoes, at least not for every day wear. Sometimes, though you can find an extra nice pair that is new or almost new. That would be a good deal, especially if they are only meant to be used in the field. Good luck.

3. MomOfThree1980

MomOfThree1980New Member

Threads:
    I personally would not buy used shoes just because I don't know how they were treated or how the person wore them before me.

4. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I forgot to say that I have some back problems that do not let me use any kind of heavy footwear such as boots and that kind of shoes, that's why I was thinking of some light rubber shoes for the field, I thought they could be way more comfortable and less harmful for my back, it feels really painful to wear boots when having my problems, however, I will consider the fact of cleaning the shoes after buying them, I do not want to catch a disease from anybody's feet.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it sounds like some rubber boots might be better for you. Maybe you can get the kind that slip on over your regular shoes, and you can just wear a light pair of shoes underneath them? I can't really see much of a problem with buying that kind of boots used, since your feet would not actually come into contact with them.

I would look for new shoes first at the thrift store. Sometimes, you get lucky. Otherwise, if you can find a gently used pair, you can just clean them with disinfectant.

Considering your back problems though, you might want to buy brand new shoes, and instead of thrift stores, look for sales, discounts, or coupons.

6. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    When it comes to shoes, I wouldn't really consider buying them in thrift or opportunity shops. But you never know, there might just be a pair of new shoes, or hardly worn shoes, sitting on a shelf waiting for you. It never hurts to have a look. :)
    Yet, generally speaking, I think that it's more hygienic to check out some shopping malls to see if they have any specials. Often they have "two pairs for one", and that might serve you better than wondering who might have been wearing the second-hand shoes that you bought in an opportunity store, and why they sometimes feel or smell odd.

7. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I had never heard of that kind of boots whatsoever, I actually bought a pair of new regular shoes at the shop for $40, it was such a great deal and I did not really hesitate to buy them for that price, those actually look good and are absolutely comfortable, those really make my feet feel really good and also my back is relaxed and painless.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should never be afraid of buying anything from a thrift shop because you doubt the quality of whatever is you'll be buying there. There are people who buy shoes or clothes but for some reason they never wear them and they [what they bought] ends up in a thrift shop. Buy them and you'll be getting a great deal on shoes or clothes which were worn maybe only once.

The least you can do is visit a thrift shop, take a look around and if you don't like anything you see you could buy what you need online.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you were able to find a pair of shoes that works for you and get a good deal as well. Hey, those sound so good that I would like a pair! ;)

Agreed. It can't hurt to have a look. You don't have to buy anything if it's not to your standards. I've often come across new items and great deals on gently used items as well.

Keep in mind too that even new shoes in retail stores have often been tried on by many different people. I sanitize new shoes when I get them home too. Clothes also get tried on, since most stores that sell clothing have fitting rooms. I wash before I wear even when it's new.

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done any thrift shopping in a while, because I have not had the time. I have done a lot of thrift shopping over the years though. And you can get really good stuff in thrift shops. I've bought all kinds of stuff, including clothes and shoes. Thrift stores are goldmines for opportunity and savings. You have to have the time to do it though!

11. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    That's right, we never know how many times strange people have used those shoes even when they say those are new.

Thank you guys for your advice and recommendations, really appreciated it, helped me a lot to pick my new pair!

I really got lucky with those $40 shoes, it was a wrapped gift for me :D

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You found $40 at the thrift store? Then good for you! I don't usually shop for shoes in thrift stores, because the hygiene of the shoes might be an issue. I actually don't like wearing shoes in general, I prefer to wear open toed sandals as long as the occasion or the circumstances permit.

13. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    My niece's husband works outside. He goes to the Goodwill store for mens pants. Why purchase new if they are going to be dirty every day? And, Good will does get good clothing and housewares from individuals plus donations from area stores.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have problems buying shoes at thrift store. I would really buy anything there under than undergarments and swim suits. I don't care what kind of a deal it is, that is a bit too personal. I mean some of the deals on shoes are simply too good to pass up, and shoes are expensive these days. They could also be sanitized prior to purchase if it is something you are worried about. Most people wear socks anyway.

15. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    You're absolutely right, I actually considered the idea of thrift shopping to find some good deals on shoes, new boots/shoes are way too expensive nowadays, I did not really have the money to buy new shoes, therefore, I had to get them thrifted, there's no big difference, however, I do know that having an used item is never going to be like having a new one.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find thrift stores to be great places for picking up extra sets of work clothes. This is especially true for work clothes that get dirty. The example above makes perfect sense. Why buy brand new, expensive pants for outdoor work?

I know someone who works as a supervisor at a fast food restaurant. Her clothes get so greasy, even when she's not doing the cooking. They have to be washed constantly, often more than once to get rid of that greasy smell and texture. They wear out pretty fasts because of this. So, why buy expensive uniform pants when they are going to get replaced constantly when you can pick up some black slacks at the thrift store for a buck?

I knew someone who did catering and home bar tending for people's parties. She picked up white, or pale gray, blue, or pink, button down shirts and blouses and black slacks at the thrift store for her work. She even had an extra set of clean clothes in the car to change into in case of mishaps (which often happen when serving food).

17. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I love thrift shops, though I find footwear to be hit or miss, especially in a case where you need specific arch support. This is due to the wear from the previous owner and the shape of the foot is often imprinted into the insoles.

However, I did find a nice pair of Doc Martens that just needed a little polishing at a Goodwill for $8. Sanitize the insides, put in your own insoles, and you still save money. I have the prescription inserts and I know they are pricey, but I still need to use them regardless of where I buy the shoes.

Thrift shopping is definitely a treasure hunt. I always purchase better quality brands for a few dollars and it is exciting to discover a good find!

18. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I am the complete opposite I feel like i fin clothes that are better quality at thrift stores! I think due to them having a tad older clothes that are made better then some newer clothes. I do buy some shoes from the thrift stores but I buy a good pair or tennis shoes for waking, working, etc. My husband has found MANY boots there for work and such that were brand new, it just depends what you are looking for and the quality that is available it kind of a hit or miss, you never know what you might be able to get, also garage sales might be a good place to look for boots as well.

19. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    There are factors that you'd want to consider first before buying shoes. First, how often are you going to use the pair of shoes? Secondly, where are you going to use them? Determining these factors will help you decide if you need to splurge or save on footwear. You probably won't have to spend so much on high-cost shoes if it's not gonna be used on a special occasion.

20. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it all depends on how fancy you are because I know a lot of people who really love outdoor activities and they're always looking forward to buying the best brands in the market such as BassPro Shops, Columbia and brands of that nature, however, if we're talking about "outdoor work" then it could be a little bit different.