Thrift Store Anxiety

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by RotBaron • Oct 24, 2013.

1. RotBaron

RotBaronNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I find it too embarrassing to go clothes shopping at goodwill. I'm not embarrassed about the clothing articles themselves but more from the fear that someone might see me shopping there and think less of me. What can I do to overcome this? Am I being a child thinking this way?

I think a big part of it is that shopping at thrift stores is not a necessity for me but I'm really interested in the savings.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was like that when I was young. I got over it.. some very unique finds and the savings is worth it. Besides.. if someone judges you for it, they have too much time on their hands. or they're jealous you're not a cookie cutter like them ;)

3. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I don't care how much money I have to spend, I get a thrill out of seeing how much I can actually get for it. Shopping at Goodwill, or any other thrift store is nothing to be ashamed of. It is actually smart shopping, getting more for your money (sometimes name brands at that), and it's also environmentally friendly to re-use something that still has value instead of buying new. Think of it as your way of "going green" and you'll be able to hold your head up proudly!

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Thrift Stores are the bomb! There's a lot of cool stuff in there for very low prices! I am so not embarrassed and there is no reason you should be. It's so much fun!

5. minda

mindaNew Member

Threads:
    Well, I think it comes with age. When I was younger I used to mind. Now, I don't really care. There is nothing wrong with buying things at a bargain price. I have come to a point where I do not really have to prove myself to anyone. I know I can very well afford to shop in malls or department store. I go to thrift shops because there might be something interesting there. I do not always find something I like but when I do, I always get a very good deal.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I can see how it can feel a little bit embarrassing, but nowadays, you don't really have to be, in my opinion. The taboo on saving and buying in thrift stores in general has been relatively brought into the light, and it doesn't have as much negative connotation to it nowadays as it did way back when.

7. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I feel embarrassed when shopping in stores like that as well. I just think the clothes in those stores are just too cheap to buy. I don't really purchase out of stores like that any way, for various reasons. The most important reason I don't shop in those stores is because the clothes are not as durable as designer clothing lines

8. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have always shopped thrift stores. I have never thought of it as embarrassing so I cannot relate to you on this point. I think of it as being wise with my money. Most of my friends and families shop at second-hand stores as well. It helps you stretch your dollars.

9. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    Clearly, if someone sees you there - they are there, too! "Thrifting" is a treasure hunt, and there is no shame in the game. If you were ever to run into anyone you know, you simply beat them to the punch with a comment along the lines of, "I love this place; I've found the coolest stuff here!" You don't have to excuse yourself or anything strange, and the chances are, the other person (if this ever even happens!) will probably agree with you, and now you'll have a thrifting buddy! You're not a child, you just need to let it go and rock the thrift store your own way. Happy hunting!

10. jazzalazz

jazzalazzMember

Threads:
    I could care less about what people think of me. They can go out and spend their money on worthless clothes that aren't worth it, and I'll save mine by going to the thrift stores. There is nothing wrong with it. You may not always find exactly what you want, but then you might, and for very cheap.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop at the Thrift stores out of wonder, I wonder what treasures are hidden in all that stuff waiting for me to find them. I have found new designer items with the store tag still on them for little of nothing. I have found one of a kind treasures worth lots of money for pennies on the dollar. There is a designer in NY that goes to Thrift stores, dumpsters and takes peoples stuff on the curb to decorate homes. She makes a very good living going to the Thrift store. It is also a good way to go green.

12. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    There's this one thrift store that just opened down my neighborhood and I can't help myself but really find stuff over there. It's about really being keen on shopping and you'll be surprised to find gold there.

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I personally think you see to much in what others think of you. And honestly you shouldn't others opinions don't matter. I love shopping at goodwill cause sometimes you can find really good things for a great price. You should never be ashamed just for shopping at good will. Good will got some good things like my mother got a real tea set with roses on it very nice in perfect condition she paid 10 bucks for it and we found out this tea set is actually very expensive. So I mean no one should be ashamed of shopping at good will.

14. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    you should try not to be bothered. or why not travel to one out of town and ease yourself in;)

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't be bothered shopping at thrift stores, there's nothing shameful in doing that. It's not like you're stealing or something. And besides, the people who may see you there are mostly strangers that you won't ever see again in your life, so don't be concerned at coming across as a cheapskate.

16. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I was like that. But I got over it quickly when a girl came into a restaurant with the most adorable and unique shirt. I asked her where it was from. She said Goodwill and quoted this unbelievably low price. Then she said her entire outfit was from Goodwill. I was shocked. She looked like someone out of a Free People catalog -- boho chic.

17. oavani

oavaniNew Member

Threads:
    You've got to own it. It's all about attitude. I am a model in NYC, and me and my friends are all regulars at thrift stores. If we can do it, you can. I'm not in high fashion, but my roommate is. She gets ripped on constantly for not wearing the trendiest and latest, and she flips that beautiful red hair around and walks away carefree and full of smug. Haha! Seriously, don't let other people take away your power of individuality. Turn it around on them. I have found brand name dresses in excellent condition in thrift shops. Thrifting has also become quite the popular thing to do these days anyway. Things change every year.

18. jessicadnguyen

jessicadnguyenNew Member

Threads:
    I used to be kind of shy about shopping at thrift stores too. But eventually, I got over it because you can actually find some cool stuff from thrift stores! It's not my primary mode of shopping but I do enjoy it occassionally, especially when I can find something super cheap that used to be super expensive. Also, keep in mind that if your friend catches you at a thrift store...what's there to be embarrassed about?! They're at a thrift store too! Maybe you just found yourself a new shopping buddy!

19. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    this is exactly what i was in here to say. you guys are crazy! Thats the exact definition of throwing stones if you live in a glass house. can you imagine

"hey youll never guess where i saw Jane the other day."
    "where"
    "well, i was in the thrift store buying something, and i saw her in there! hahaha she must be soooo poor"
    "wait, you were in there too..."

20. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    Some of the richest people I know shop in thrift stores so I'd be delighted if they saw me there. :) As someone mentioned above - own it! Walk in with your head held high - there is no shame in saving money.