Thrift Store Art Recycling

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ACSAPA • Mar 30, 2013.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi guys. Have you ever had the experience of going to a thrift store and seeing a huge oil painting for $20 but it was hideous and old looking? If you're into crafts, you can turn that old painting into a fresh piece of art.

One way is to use the original painting as a guideline and paint over it with small dots of paint, like a Pointilist until the old colors are covered and the painting looks fresher.

[​IMG]

Or you can stick vinyl letters on an old painting, paint the whole thing white or black, and then peel the vinyl letters off to reveal the original painting underneath.

[​IMG]

So, when you see a big, ugly painting in a thrift store, now you know how to turn it into cheap wall art.

2. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like Pinterest fun :p. I love thrifting, but rarely see nice art work. I love finding antique colored glass, that's my "big deal". I Especially love aqua mason jars.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did find the tutorial and idea on Pinterest but someone removed the photos from here. I wish I'd seen the idea a few months ago because I saw a huge ugly 80's painting at Goodwill that I could have bought just for the huge canvas and painted over.

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I found a small piece of art that looked a little amateurish but could do with a few corrective brush strokes. I bought it for a throw away price and worked on it a bit. I also changed a few colors to suit my room and now I have a lovely piece of art. My friends keep asking me where I bought the stuff from. It was really worth it. I really like the idea of recycled art.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea! I have purchased some just to get the frames off of them for other artwork but hadn't thought of reusing the picture itself. We started putting together puzzles every Christmastime as a family many years ago (all of them are wolf themed). I have several of them that are mounted and framed on other pictures that I bought dirt cheap. I like the size and the uniqueness of these older frames. You just can't buy new ones with that much character!

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's a cute idea. If you have a big ugly thrift store painting, you can have your kids paint over it and make gigantic, adorable kid art.

de770c34bdd8933505f4734d42509135.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you find an ugly 1980's painting in a thrift store, you can mosaic over it with paint chips or squares of painted watercolor paper.

DSC00712.JPG