Thrift Store Clothes Shopping?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by JoanMcWench • Apr 6, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted to get into this habit but I really have a difficult time with getting over the cleanliness of an item. I've gotten a few items from there & I've cleaned them numerous times but the idea itself is tough to get over. I also don't understand how they can sell undergarments & swimwear at the locations I've been too. That seems problematic. Does anyone else have this issue?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cleanliness of the clothes doesn't concern me that much because I'll only select what looks clean enough.

I don't buy briefs from thrift stores though. As for pants, shirts, t-shirts, etc, once I get them, I soak them in disinfectant overnight then get them washed. That sort of sets my heart at rest so to say.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same really, I don't think I'd ever buy clothes from these shops as I have an issue with the cleanliness of the items.

Not only that though I'd be a little intrigued as to where they came from as well, like I wouldn't want to be walking round in a dead mans shows or coatl

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's for this reason that I still feel uncomfortable buying clothes from Thrift stores; not knowing where they've come from, the foul smell, who wore them etc. It's just not for me. I'm ok buying anything else but clothes and shoes. There's no way whatsoever I'd buy swimwear and under garments second hand, I'm sorry. It just seems so unhygienic. How are they even allowed to do that? I've worked in retail, and you are not allowed to return underwear for hygiene reasons!

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the majority of my clothes from the charity shops. I don't worry too much about where they came from, for starters, most stuff ends up at the shop because the original owner didn't wear it. I also wash everything before I wear it. There are certain things I will always buy new, like underwear and leggings but in general, I don't give much thought to the provenance of my items.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't. I'm basically a punk, so.. while I don't wear obviously unclean clothing, some wear and tear can be actually beneficial to the look I'm going for, so thrift shops are definitely alright for me. I also don't care about the brands or whatever, I'm not a materialistic person. .)

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    After I run the clothes through the washer and dryer, I am no longer concerned with the cleanliness of the garments because the hot water in the washing machine disinfects everything. I would never purchase swim wear or underwear from a thrift store because these items come too close to private parts. I do buy shirts and pants from thrift stores and have never had a problem with them.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have found great items at thrift stores, quite often with the tags still on them. Not all shops are created equal, but you have to look around for the ones that have the best selection and price and where it's kept clean. You can't be too paranoid about picking up germs from clothing.

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm plus size, so it's pretty much impossible to find clothes in my sizes at the thrift shop. I wouldn't worry about the "cleanliness" of the clothes, since you can wash them! Though, be aware some shops are better then others. The one that's closest to me is pretty nice, since the prices are really good. The one slightly farther away is really crappy, because not only is a really expensive for a thrift store, the employees are rude!

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not concerned with the cleanliness of the clothes at the thrift store. I wash the clothes when I get home and before I wear the items. I do not purchase anything that smells bad or is not clean or spotted unless I plan to use it as a rag.

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think the only times I’ve actually bought anything from a thrift shop, they were meant for costumes. So in theory I don’t have a problem with wearing clothing from thrift shops, aside from things previously mentioned (undergarments, swimwear, and shoes). I’d also avoid anything that requires too much care, like dry-clean only stuff. I just rarely seem to find anything that suits my style in the thrift shops near me. Or if I do, it doesn’t suit the climate here.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't take issue with it, because I always clean the items before using them. You can even add a bit of disinfectant or sanitizer if you're deeply concerned, but washing and running through the dryer are usually enough.

Many of the things I buy are new or barely used. You can tell that they haven't been worn long enough to even get a wrinkle. I don't see stuff like that being any different than an item that someone else already tried on in a regular store (though I still wash it anyway and often wash brand new things from the regular stores as well).

Underpants is understandable. I buy those new.

13. Aurelia

AureliaNew Member

Threads:
    I’m lucky to live in a city with amazing thrift stores, vintages shops and other resources for second hand clothing. I don’t really worry too much about the cleanliness of the items, as I figure that most of the people donating clothes are normal people like me with acceptable hygiene. I wash most clothes I get before I wear them, but if it’s something like a dry clean only sweater then I don’t really care. I have two really good thrift stores that are only a few blocks away from my apartment so frequently on my days off I’ll go and browse what they have.

My last good score was a like new J. Crew 100% lambswool sweater for 10 dollars. Those things go for at least 60-80 dollars when you buy them new. I pretty frequently find stuff from J. Crew, Anthropologie, Ann Taylor Loft which is what I go for when I’m shopping for work clothes.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love thrift stores. You get unique items that way.. I hate wearing what everyone else is. I would never in a million years wear used underwear, that's disgusting. But everything else is pretty much a go. And look at it this way.. you're fine wearing clothes from a store where many many people try the clothes on all day long, day after day until you buy it. You're still buying used clothes m'dear ;)

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great point @Zyni@Zyni, I would wager that the majority of new clothes have ben tried on by at least one person in the store and quite easily more besides.

16. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with buying and wearing anything I find in a thrift store that I happen to like. The things I buy often still have the tags on them. That or they are in such good shape that they look like they should still have the tags on them.

Swimsuits and underthings are a big no-no for me though. Actually, I can't imagine that anyone would buy swimsuits or underthings from a thrift store, but maybe some do.

There was a time in my life when it would have bothered me to wear clothing items that had belonged to someone else, but I've found that once I get them home and wash them they quickly become "mine".

And, I'm doubly happy because I've paid next to nothing for them.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have trouble getting over the idea that someone else has worn the clothes too which is why I tend not to shop for clothes when at a thrift store and instead I just try and focus more on the other types of items. However, if the item is really that good or unique and it doesn't seem too worn out or dirty then I will buy it and just cycle it in the laundry more than once. I wouldn't understand why undergarments would be bought too though but I guess some people mind a lot less.

18. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    It is not an issue for me except for undergarments, socks and shoes. I buy shirts, pants, shorts, jackets or any clothes at the thrift store as long as they are still wearable, in good condition, clean and have a good price. Obviously, socks and undergarments are a no go since these are quite disposable for me and these are worn in areas that are very much personal and have hygiene issues. Much the same with shoes, I do not buy them in thrift stores for hygiene and cleanliness purposes.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The 2nd hand items that I have bought smell good and it seems to be soaked in fabric conditioner too, so I don't usually get paranoid about germs and the like. If the items are still looking presentable then I would buy it and just soak the item overnight in soap. No undies for me unless the tag is still present.