Thrift Stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by cookiemonsterv16 • Feb 28, 2014.

1. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    Its been a while since I've been to a thrift store I think I was a little girl at the time actually so I really don't remember too much about it, but now that I am older in my mid 20's I recently went with my mom and I was so glad I did. I went in there expecting to find a few things here and there, but I didn't expect to actually like as many things as I did.

They had some really great clothes I ran into a beautiful jacket that looked brand new and it was only $10 where other popular stores probably would've sold it for $30 or more, I ended up buying it I couldn't let a good deal like that pass. They even had some brand name shirts that were in really good condition for $5! Every time I would see an article of clothing that looked expensive I would be amazed when I saw the prize being $10-20 lower than what I thought. Aside from clothes they had some nice shoes also for a good price too. I am definitely looking forward to going back again soon and hopefully find more great items.

Has anyone else gone to a thrift store and bought more things than they thought they would?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I don't ever go in the places and i never will. I don't see the thrills in buying stuff that other people have worn and used before. You just don't know the story behind that stuff.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see no problem in buying used clothing. I have a bigger problem with used shoes!! I never bought clothes from thrift sores, but not because I wouldn't, just because thrift stores I've been to didn't have anything interesting. I did, however, buy a microwave and a tv from a thrift store, abd they lasted me a really long time! I bought other stuff like DVDs and home decor. You can find good quality sfuff for a bargain!

4. Cadence

CadenceMember

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever bought clothes second hand, not because I mind wearing other peoples old clothes but mostly because nothing ever interests me at those places. I think thrift stores are good for finding clothes for costumes though! My friend found her whole Halloween outfit at a thrift store last year.

5. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I go to thrift stores often, I tend to avoid Goodwill as there prices can be outrageous (Especially considering they got the items for FREE), but I make it a goal to go to my local thrift shops often. I often find great project there, last month I found an old pipe organ that was just beautiful, it just needed some work. I bought it for $10 (10!!) and picked up some paint and supplies from Lowe's on the way home. After a weekend of work (Paint and Rewiring) I was able to sell it on Craigslist for $200 to a church. They can also be great places to find old electronics but sometimes a nice find where they don't know what they have. Definitely love me some thrift shops.

6. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have many thrift stores where I live, but I would love to. Come on, we are talking about for super cheap clothing almost as good as new right? It should be awesome!

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    The thrift stores here don't really have a lot of stuff that I like. It isn't that I'm against buying used clothing...I don't mind because it's not like I can't wash it before I wear it. I think the stores in bigger cities might have better options.

I do like some of the home decor items, plates and such. You can't really beat it when you can buy nice stuff for a dime or a quarter.

8. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Thrift stores are not really on my radar until Halloween comes around. When I get in there, I definitely browse and will often grab one or two things that I hadn't intended to purchase. I probably would hit one more often if there were a thrift store nearby.

9. jubvman

jubvmanNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. I wouldn't really feel comfortable wearing someone's old clothes to be honest. When buying clothes I prefer to spend a little bit more and go for quality, if you know what you're doing the clothes can last you a lot longer! So it works out cheaper :D

10. Ace

AceNew Member

Threads:
    This. I personally could not wear something that has been on someone else, It's just a hygiene issue for me.
    It may be cheap, but It's cheap for a reason.

11. mameeker@cuse

mameeker@cuseNew Member

Threads:
    Thrift stores are great for finding a quick deal! Now all you need to do is learn how to sew and you can have unlimited wardrobe options for cheap.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Why does it matter what the story behind it may be? I can understand not wanting to buy, say, a mattress. But with clothes, though, who cares? Once you wash it thoroughly, it's no different than if you wore it yourself and then washed it. I guess if you can't help but think about who else might have worn it, then it could be a turnoff.

13. danderson239

danderson239New Member

Threads:
    I really find value in thrift stores. I particularly like the stores that have some sort of screening process for their products (i.e. Plato's Closet or various clothing exchanges). It's incredible how much money you save by buying used clothes. I've even bought almost new suit coats for my work for less than $15 (normally $70-$200).

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've always been a thrift store shopper. I think the key is knowing where to shop. Thrift stores near college campuses, for example, frequently have really nice name-brand clothing that gets dropped off at the end of a year because rich college girls don't want to bring it all home.

I also shop thrift stores for things like toys. Again, if you are in the right neighborhood, you know the people who are donating are more than likely just upper middle class people with way too much stuff and no time or desire to sell it. I've found next to new and even brand new expensive toys for garage sale prices.

Yes, thrift stores have a lot of junk. But if you are willing and have the time and the right eye, they can be treasure troves.

15. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    I found a vaccuum, it was actually being given away for free. When I got it home I realized (not super surprised) that it wasn't very good. So I Googled it and found there was a product recall. A month later I have a brand new vaccuum that works very well. I was pretty happy with it.

16. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people underestimate thrift stores. I also think people overestimate how overly-priced retail stores are for not that great of quality anyway, depending on where you shop. Thrift stores can be awesome! I've got complete outfits (shirt, skirt, and brand NEW boots) all for less than $15. Everyone at work would compliment me on that outfit. It was extremely modern and good quality. All you have to do is wash the clothes. And like someone mentioned above, if you go to thrift stores in really good neighborhoods, they can have awesome stuff.

I also love thrift stores for things like books. Books are WAY too pricey, in my opinion, to buy new. They are also great for finding board games, flower vases or planters, and old but quaint furniture, perfect for DIY projects.

17. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I am lucky enough to have great thrift stores in my area. I have never and will never buy shoes from a thrift store as I love new shoes, but almost everything else is fair game to me! I am always able to find all types of nice shirts, blouses, jackets, sweaters, and sometimes even scarves. I think it really just depends on which you go to. Try the ones that are well taken care of. Try the ones that actually organize their store in a sensible way. If you're willing to spend some time in a thrift store, you will be surprised at what you can find!

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    So you were able to get a replacement for the vacuum because of the product recall, even though you didn't have the original receipt or anything? That's pretty awesome!

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I have shopped at thrift stores, and I really don't mind buying used clothes as long as it still looks decent. Some clothes even look good as new. But there are some things that I won't buy 2nd hand like shoes. That would be too "personal" in my opinion.

20. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I love shopping at thrift stores. It saves a ton of money and many times you can't even tell the items are used. I've bought lots of clothes for 1/5 of the price I would pay in stores. My favorite local thrift store is a Salvation Army. It's the cheapest, best stocked place near where I live. Many of my local consignment shops charge nearly as much as normal stores, in which case I would much rather purchase unused clothing. As long as you wash your purchase before wearing it, I don't see a problem with buying second hand products.