Thrift Toys

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by RaidAurora • Mar 12, 2014.

1. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    Have you ever been inclined to purchase gifts for younger relatives / children from a thrift store? Have you ever HAD to? I imagine that this thread will hit a little close to home for some of you, but I was wondering how you would characterize these experiences if you've ever been goodwill hunting for example for a child's birthday. I know at one point I bought my sister's birthday present at a thrift store and while I was satisfied with what I got her and she enjoyed the gift, the feeling of not being able to afford new things was really off-putting and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this while gift shopping before.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I think what is most important is the thought put on choosing the present. Used toys or cheap ones don't mean that the one gifting isn't sincere. To pick one toy that the kid likes needs a lot of effort too. Anyone can spend big bucks and buy expensive toys but will the kid like it, that's the point. As long as the kid is happy with it, you don't have to feel bad about it.

3. kindredsoul

kindredsoulNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought gifts for my relatives kids because they are adults now. But I do go thrift shopping with my son for his toys. I noticed that when new toys make noise, they cost more! So, I know that when I find a toy my son likes at the thrift store and it makes a noise then I'm really getting a good deal. A lot of expensive toys such as VTech and Fisher Price toys can be found at thrift stores. I just clean them up with bleach and water and my son will play with the toys for awhile. The best thing about used toys is that if my son doesn't like it after a couple of days, I don't feel that bad since I usually pay around $5.00 for the item. And, yes, I used to feel bad that I can't buy him new toys, but that's just how it is right now and he doesn't care that the toys are used so it's really a win-win for the both of us.

4. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    Okay, thank you guys for your input. c: I think there's a lot of anxiety for me to try and please the people I buy gifts for, so I'm always worried that not being up to snuff on the newest toys could be a fast way to embarrass myself, but I'm glad that it seems like it doesn't really matter so long as the kid in question enjoys the gift.