Tide Pods

Discussion in Product Reviews started by MrsWilson2012 • Jul 21, 2014.

1. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    I like Tide detergent, but I will be the first to admit that it can be a bit pricey. I recently got a coupon for Tide pods, so I stocked up on them.

I found the pods to be easy to use, and very convenient. Just drop it in the machine with a load of laundry- no measuring and pouring. I use 2 pods per load, because I use usually use a full cap of detergent per load (my husband works with engine oil, which is a tough stain to remove) and the pods are a bit small... but I feel that the pods work just as well as the liquid tide.

The drawback that I have found is that when the pods dissolve they release an unpleasant gas, which smells like rotten eggs. The smell lasts 15-30 minutes.

I do not think that I will continue to use this product. The liquid detergent only takes a few seconds extra to pour, and I feel that this is less of an inconvenience than the bad smell.

I give this product 3 out f 5 stars, because it is an effective cleaner but has a major flaw.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used the Tide Pods on and off over the last couple years. They're decent enough, and they tend to work just as well as normal detergent. I'll have to pick them up again soon and see how well they work now. Thanks for the review!

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I used the pods once or twice but wasn't in love with any of the fragrances and also found that some of the color in the pod would occasionally get stuck on one piece of clothing. I didn't want to risk staining so I stopped using them and will stick with regular detergent.

4. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Why do they smell as they dissolve? Is it a defect? I have never used them before. I thought they seemed pricey. I would rather take the extra time pouring in the detergent and saving the pennies than paying more for the convenience. Plus, I wondered what the pod (the outside shell) was made from. I'm glad I have never purchased them now!

5. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I have not tried the Tide Pods yet but I have used the All Mighty Pacs. They worked fine. I don't think they are anything exceptional but they did the job and I didn't detect any unpleasant odor with them. I would only buy them again if they were on sale and I had a coupon. They are too expensive at their regular price.

6. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that Tide Pods work better than liquid or powder detergent but I do prefer them. The thing I like most is that the detergent is already "portioned" out for me. Otherwise, I tend to overfill the cups with the powder or liquid and therefore, run out faster. I've never noticed a bad smell with the Pods.

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    My grandmother uses these. She normally orders them offline because they are a little expensive at WalMart. She had alwayed used Tide and when the Pods came out she was too happy. Now she does not have to lift on the powder detergent because the pods come in small light weight bags.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    My ex turned me on to Tide products as he tended to sweat a lot and the budget stuff wasn't getting the stains out. Recently, I fell in love with Tide pods and recommend them over Arm and Hammer, which is about 1/2 the price. However, I like Gain a little better because of the scent. Either way, they are great for those who have to travel to do laundry.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never noticed the odor issue before with them, but are you sure they were the cause? Many energy efficient washers these days have problems with becoming moldy and smelly over time. We periodically have to clean ours out with cleaning strength vinegar.

Sometimes my folks will bring over some stuff for me, including laundry pods, when they stop by to visit. I will use them if they get them for me, but honestly I've had problems with them in the past. For one thing, you need to read the label carefully, some of them are not detergent at all, but merely a stain booster meant to be used in conjunction with another pod for detergent. The other issue is that sometimes certain types of the pods won't dissolve evenly and they will end up leaving a white residue over all of my clothing. I have a bunch of black and dark blue t-shirts that I wear around the house, so I am always washing them. And when I used the pods that's where I notice it the most, it's like a white film all over the shirts, and I need to wash them a second time to get it all off.

10. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I buy Tide pods as well. I like them for their convenience but I basically only purchased them because they were on sale and I had a coupon. They are very expensive so I don't plan on buying them in the future. I don't mind taking the extra time to measure and pour the liquid detergent either. I have a big family and although it does cut down on my laundry time a little,I would much rather save my money for other things. :)

Danyel :)

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's interesting that you'd say that...I use the tide pods all the time and I've never noticed a bad smell with them?? I wonder if perhaps your washing machine just doesn't agree with them for some reason? I use two at at time pretty frequently and have never had that problem. I love how convenient they are.

12. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    It is the cause of the smell. We noticed the smell when we used the pods, so we switched back to normal detergent and the smell went away... and our washer is brand new, less than a year old. I don't quite know why they smell like that, when I have used other detergent pods without that effect. Maybe I just got a bad batch? I will buy another small bag and see if that was the case.

13. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I use them and have never noticed the smell. I guess it does not bother me. I like pods because there's no waste. My roommates often over use detergent even when it's concentrated. They do it out of habit, I guess. The pods prevent that. I tried using the Method 'one pump = one load' bottle but they just used multiple pumps! :confused: