Tips for buying cheap clothes.

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by prettycolors • Mar 5, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm curios in what ways do you save money when buying clothes?
    Do you purchase at a discount, second-hand, from cheap online stores or import them?

Personally, I check all my favorite stores and wait for discounts. Sure, the best stuff is sold by that point but I still manage to find some cute stuff that fits me well.

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I save money by mixing sales with coupons. The easiest way to achieve this feat is by registering with a store online. This way, you automatically get info on the latest deals. Then, you also should check the sales racks ALWAYS for out of season clothing that is dirt cheap.

3. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually a very picky shopper. I need affordable, decent quality, and something that could be in-style for more than a year.

First, I find a decent-looking piece of clothing. Design and color is what catches me first, then fitting comes next. If it's too pricey, I think to myself, is it worth it? Most of the time, it isn't, so I decide not to buy it.

So my advice is to always think to yourself, is it really worth the price, or could you find a more affordable alternative?

I hope I helped!

4. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I use many different methods to save money on clothes. I check my newspaper for coupons every day to see if I can save money at a place where I was already planning to shop. I also shop second hand. Thrift stores in my ares often sell nice, new looking clothes for WAY less than retail stores charge. If you live in a bigger city you will have more, better quality thrift shopping options. I also check the clearance area of any store I frequent. The store where I get the best deals is Cotton On. They have great sales and super cheap clearance prices. I hope I could help!

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the best way to go about this the efficient way is to have a planned wardrobe. Most of the time, our money is wasted on clothes mostly due to us buying things we'd only use once or twice, because we don't buy them in line with a planned wardrobe wherein we can continue using them by mixing and matching with our other items. Of course, it is alright to splurge once in a while, but without a properly planned wardrobe, we usually end up making the majority of it as just splurges instead of efficient decisions. I do it this way so I don't have to skimp too much on the quality and price of the clothes and instead I could just buy the fairly priced ones and just get my money's worth by being able to use them over and over.

6. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My tip for buying cheap clothes is to go to outlets and buy in the sales in the outlets, you have amazing discounts when you do that, sometimes around 60%. Even when buying in regular stores we always have a discount section, so buy your clothes there. ;)

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy brand names only. I realize that there are some local brands, for example, which sell equally good clothes at local prices. Imported products are usually more expensive. I patronize the local items within my area.

I used to be fond of discount stores but then, recently, my experience is that the quality is not always good. A shirt would look really old only after using it for 3 times. I think in the end, it's not really cheap because it wears out easily.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    If you are going to buy cheap clothes, then the brand will not matter. In most cases I do not care about the brand all I check is the clothe quality material. If the clothes have a good quality material and it is affordable then I would go for it automatically. Also I check out several stores so that I can make up my mind where to shop regularly.

9. mrjohny

mrjohnyNew Member

Threads:
    I never buy second hand, but I am aware of good discounts and coupons, they are very useful. Also most time, Idon't care the brand, only the design, so there is a lot of good cloth with unknown brands.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I either purchase my clothes during a sale. Over here, some malls would have a 3-day sale up to 50% off, so that's quite a bargain. And they do those sales twice a year per mall branch. Also, when I come across a thrift store, I usually check it out especially if I'm not in a rush to go somewhere, because sometimes there are some clothes in the thrift shop that still look good as new.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know some people might turn up their nose at this, but I love opportunity stores. I can't believe what treasures I have found there over the years. Everything from brand labels to handmade garments. I know that quite a few people make a living out of opportunity shops. They buy the clothes cheap and then re-sell them in their second hand shops or on e-bay. I think if they at least kept their prices reasonable, it would be alright. It would be like a finder's fee and some extra to cover the expenses and make a bit of income. But the greed of some just blows my mind.
    I don't like buying brand new things as they are often full of chemicals that I can't handle. Especially the cheaper products.

12. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I always prefer buying clothes offline. I go and check everything clearly and get the one that best suits and fits me. Going on to the other measure, buying them for a cheaper price is at times a typical task for me. This is because it is difficult to find a best and favorite design for a mere cheap rate. I pity on myself at situations where I go with the dress for a high price. I'm sure I'll learn getting them for a cheaper cost soon.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me the best way to buy cheap clothes is to either go to outlets or buy on big sales. The easiest wait to find out when stores are on sale is to subscribe to their newsletters online. For example, for Forever 21, they have the best sales and their clothes are really really cheap. A few times a year they will do a sale where do you get 50% off their already on sale items. So that means they get dirty cheap and you can find shirts at 4 or 5 bucks. Sweaters are never more than 10 dollars on these sales. I think It's worth it!

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with this. It is worth the most to buy classic styles in good brand names that will last.

That said, clothes can be so cheap, even brand new. I'm not above buying a "seasonal" item if it is the right price, fully knowing I'm only going to get a season out of it.

Otherwise, I tend to buy most of my clothes in the off-season (end of season sales) and hold them for the next time the weather is right. Now that I"m a full grown adult, my size is pretty predictable. Though several pregnancies have thrown monkey wrenches in there, I have always gone back to the same size I think I will be for a long time, so it is great to know what is going to fit in different brands.

I also am an avid consignment and thrift store shopper. I happen to know which stores accept the best clothes and put the best prices on them. Thrift stores near college campuses are usually pots of gold. At the end of spring semester, rich college girls unload closets full of great clothes and thrift stores have a common price for everything. It is great. It is especially great when I know I'm probably taking several things from the same girl (same size, brands, style). Almost like there's someone out there just like me who just gave me all her old clothes!

15. cabenb

cabenbMember

Threads:
    Haha, I guess this is a typical women's thing. Men in most cases buy what they need or let their GF or wive do the shopping.

16. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I save money by shopping for clearances and shopping online. Lots of things online are cheaper than in the store. I know i shop on ebay for lots of dresses. Ebay has great items that are new of course. I find the item im looking for and I copy and paste the items description and name in the search engine and surf the internet for that item and I find it for a much cheaper price.

17. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Walmart, and target sell extremely cheap clothes at retail. The prices at Walmart are similar to what you would find at a good will store.

18. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I like to mix and match name brands and off brands. For example, I might get my V-necks, camis, socks, etc. from places like Walmart. Then, I might pick up nicer sweaters and dressy tops from name brands. Then, I still feel like I'm wearing brand name clothes but don't have to spend as much.

Shopping sales and clearance racks is also an essential.