Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget

Discussion in Food & Drink started by tulosai • Aug 18, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have any tips for how to eat healthy on a budget? I've wanted recently to make a switch toward more fruits and veggies but find the cost to be almost prohibitive, especially if you want anything local or organic. Does anyone have pointers on how to deal with this?

Thanks for any help!

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I'm on a budget, so I buy Marketside salads that are already made, you just mix the ingredients. They only cost about 3 bucks and they're very filling. After I've been eating junk, I'll buy some salads and try to make up for lost time. They have a couple of them to choose from, and they taste pretty good. I would say buy fruit and eat that, but that can be pretty expensive.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We try to eat quite healthy here, we need to be on a lower sodium diet because of high blood pressure. It can be a little more expensive, but I only buy the fruits and vegetables that are on sale each week. If it is not on sale, I don't get it unless it is tomatoes because we eat a lot of tomatoes and salad stuff. I never buy organic unless it is on sale because organic is more expensive and isn't always better. Some vegetables you may be able to grow during the summer season to help keep costs down. A packet of seeds is usually under $2. If you have any local farmstands, the veggies and fruits may be cheaper there then in the store too. As much as I don't like Walmart, sometimes their produce is cheaper then the supermarket. I usually shop local when I can, but Walmart may be the cheaper option for you.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    The first thing to do is stop buying junk. You would be amazed at how much money that is really costing you. Once I stopped buying junk I realized that it's actually cheaper to eat healthy. Fruits and vegetables cost less than snacks and pop tarts.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    You could save money on other items you buy for the home so you have a bit more to spend on grocery shopping. Buy concentrated items like washing -up liquid, fabric softner, etc. Those last 10X longer and will save you extra money for food. Shop online at $1 online stores and get bargains from there as well.:)

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I like buying my fruits and vegetables at the roadside stands. The produce is way fresher, and I pay way less. I also try to only buy what I need for 1 or 2 days.... That way I don't end up throwing away anything spoiled and I always have the freshest produce available.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I buy all my fruit and vegetables from street markets. Organic produce is not necessarily better. Just buy food in season - apart from tasting better, it will be much cheaper. My favourite healthy eating tip is this - make a huge pan of vegetable soup at least once a month, and freeze what you don't eat over a couple of days for future use. Use any vegetables that are in season - it's a great way to use up odds and ends. Use fresh or canned chopped tomatoes as a base, and throw in some chick peas or brown rice for protein and filling power. We have soup as a main meal at least once a week - all you need with it is some crusty bread and fresh fruit to make a healthy, filling and cheap meal.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Shop at farmers markets - they're becoming more trendy these days and starting to pop up in more and more locations. I'm a huge fan of my electric pressure cooker too, especially for taking cheap cuts of meat and making them super tender without having to wait all day. Years ago, I lost quite a bit of weight eating the Healthy Choice tv dinners for lunch and dinner. Often times they are running deals on them if you buy several at once. Luckily I lived near the Stouffer's factory though and they have a small discount outlet store where they sold them dirt cheap.

9. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    Its easy. Oats, rice, and lots of fruits and veggies. Look into whole food diets. That will give you some great ideas and a huge list of foods that are considered whole.

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I've written about this topic extensively and I have lived through it too. There are a variety of things one can do eat healthy and save money at the same time:

- Search throughout the kitchen; you may think you have no groceries, but you'll be surprised by the amount of vegetables you have in your fridge.

- Stock up on healthy items that a grocery store may have a large sale on, such as carrots, potatoes and beverages (Orange juice, soy, etc.).

- Forget meat. You may think meat is quite important, but it's completely unnecessary and is a complete waste in your budget.

11. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    How about the veggie sandwich from Subway? It's healthy and cheap. I love it but I skip the mayo and other sauces.

12. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea. Produce from markets and road side stands does tend to be a lot fresher than supermarket stuff. It's also important to not throw food away, especally when you're on a budget. I thin America alone throw away 3 billion dollars worth of food every year. :confused:

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I have found frozen vegetables to be much less expensive than fresh. You can generally get a bag of frozen vegetables for around $1. I prefer fresh vegetables, though, so sometimes I catch them on sale at off-brand supermarkets. For example, Food City often has deals such as 5 avocados for $1 and 4 lbs of bananas for $1. Sometimes you can get 10 cucumber for $1. Furthermore, you can try growing your own vegetables in pots if you don't have room for a garden.

14. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Dry goods such as rice, lentils, beans, dried peas, pasta, etc. are a time-tested economical meal base. Add meats and fresh veggies to taste.
    Making your own sauces is easy enough with a little flour and oil and sometimes milk, plus a well-stocked spice rack.
    Many of the veggies that are an acquired taste (broccoli, Swiss chard, spinach, etc.) are cheaper because they're less popular. However, they have amazing levels of vitamins.

[​IMG]

15. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    Make a list and stick to it, that is the best advice I ever received. It's amazing how easy it is to get sidetracked and distracted by all the choices when shopping.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy bulk items. My grocery store sells bulk items. It's great because I'm able to purchase only the amount I need and not a pre-set package amount. This saves me a great deal of money. I also only buy wants on special for that week. I search the internet for coupons for my favorite items.

I have eliminated most processed foods from my diet. That has saved me a lot of money and I've lost weight to boot. There are many farmer pickers who sell fruit from street corners or trucks. They have really great deals!

17. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Avoid going to fast food chains or eating outside. You'll save a lot with home cook meals. Pack your fridge with vegetables and fruits!

18. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    You have been given some excellent recommendations! I would also suggest looking into "Bountiful Baskets". It is a food co-op that has an active website online. They offer produce baskets as well as other options and seem to be relatively inexpensive. I would also like to second the frozen produce recommendation. We can get a huge bag of chopped carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower for less than $6. I hope you find what works for you!

19. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    If you have no objections to it, try to recruit people in the neighborhood who want to buy fruits and vegetables plus other things, in bulk and split the cost. Advertize on your local supermarket bulletin board. You then split the cost. This is being done by a lof of folks. Good luck.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I steer clear of "organic" items in chain grocery stores, and opt for farmers markets or street side food stands instead. Though the stuff there probably isn't "organic" as well either sometimes, but being broke and stressed from getting overcharged for produce is probably less healthy for you than the pesticides on it.