Tips For Finding Designer Clothing At A Fraction Of The Price?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Scarlet • Jun 7, 2015.

1. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    Do you have any tips for finding designer brands cheaper?

I have had a look on eBay occasionally and there is the odd bargain occasionally but they seem far and few between.

I have a slight problem of having expensive taste with a tiny bank :)

I am not concerned with items being in season, but I don't want to buy used clothing. I think I almost have a phobia about wearing vintage clothing, I really wish it was something I could get over as it would save me a lot of money.

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Have you checked out Poshmark.com? I know several people who buy a lot of high-end brands at discounts because it's second hand. You can sell there too. I know you stated you don't want to buy used clothing though. I don't really know how to get brand new at deep discounts other than just watching for regular sales or maybe buying from the Clearance rack at the end of the season.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Go to a thrift store in a city that has a lot of money. If you have any cities nearby with plenty of rich people, they tend to donate a lot of designer clothing pieces to the thrift stores. This has been my experience and I have found a lot of designer clothes and accessories for cheap prices.

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I have two points:
    1) Don't buy into counterfeit luxury brands. The quality is crap and people will be able to tell. I won't judge someone if they have a $5 shirt from Wal-Mart, they clearly have better uses for their money. Someone who has a $5 shirt masquiraiding as a $100 though looks foolish. Plus counterfeit goods are typically used by organized crime, so every fake LV purse you buy probably was made by slave labour and who profits will probably be used to traffic narcotics, sex slaves and firearms.
    2) If you don't mind wearing previous years styles, then you can find TONS of cheap goods. First pick your preferred brands then determine where their old items are sold. Some brands own their own discount outlets where they sell out of date items (Banana Republic, Kate Spade ect) and some stores carry multiple brands (Winners, Bells ect.)
    I don't suggest buying online as you cant determine proper fit and it's harder to determine if it's genuine.

5. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the reply :)

Oh, yes I would never buy counterfeit. When I was a teenager I fell for counterfeit music and bag whilst on holiday. I agree with all of your points on counterfeit. I would only want a genuine product!

It is the finding where they sell old products part that I am having trouble with, I guess I could contact them directly though.

6. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    Nordstrom Rack is a good store to buy designer items for a cheaper price. I'm not sure if there is one in your location, but there is an online store. The store sells many name brands at dramatically cheaper prices, and I highly recommend shopping there. Really though, thrift stores are not bad. I've gotten so many name brand items from there at ridiculously cheap prices. You really just have to make sure you wash the clothes before you wear them.

7. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    Oh that looks like a good one, thankyou, it doesn't appear to be in my country though, but they do have stores in Europe so one to remember if I ever come across it whilst abroad!

8. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you have a store like this, but Plato's Closet. It's basically a place where people can bring their unwanted clothing if it's still in good condition. They sell clothing from Hollister, Gap, Ann Taylor, and all those expensive name brands. I've even seen them sell some Uggs there. So, that's not a bad place to try and get clothing from.

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    eBay is the only online source I know that had a pretty good selection. You may have lots of bidders though, so how discounted the item is will vary.

I would also try your local consignment stores. They may not be as good of a deal, and you may have to check often.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can always try online flash sales sites like Gilt that offer discounts. There are a few companies that offer 24-72 hour sales, but I also like Neiman Marcus and their clearance range. The site is

and they offer discounts too from time to time or free shipping. These are high end pieces at great prices.

11. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I agree poshmark is great. A lot of times the items still have tags on them. Also check out consignment shops. A lot of the higher end ones only take near perfect items that aren't heavily worn. Other then this maybe check out off retailers such as nordstroms rack, tjmaxx or off saks.

12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with what the other posts talked about. Make sure it is the real deal rather than a counterfeit. My mom once found a Eddie bower dress from the thrift store for me to wear. Let's just say I didn't like the dress but she really wanted me to wear it so I did a couple of times. There is a boutique near my house that sells some designer stuff at cheaper prices than most boutiques.

13. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    If by “designer “ you are meaning high quality clothing - my recommendation would be end of season sales - especially as they are very definitely the best way of picking quality clothing at a fraction of what it would normally cost.

In fact - as the majority of high end clothing stores generally have end of season clearance sales - where the entire leftover stock at the end of each season has to be cleared - in order to make room for the following season's garments - you really can't go too far wrong - particularly as - with all quality items usually marked down at way below half price and often considerably more - picking up a bargain is virtually guaranteed.

14. SterlingJay0123

SterlingJay0123New Member

Threads:
    I would definitely check thrift stores in the area. Also I would figure out exactly what it is you like about that article of clothing and look for a cheap look alike. A lot of online stores have copycat pieces that look pretty good. All in all I would get basic generic pieces for extra cheap and only splurge on a few pieces that will really stand out.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from Ebay, I would suggest checking out Craigslist, you might find out some great deals over there. Also check out thrift shops and garage sales, you'll never know what you may find, you might stumble upon designer items over there.

16. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    In Canada we have Winners and Marshall's which sell designer clothes at a fraction of the price. They usually only have a few of each size and each store can have different items but it is quite fun to search through the racks. I have found that if you find something you like you have to buy it at the time. If you go home and think about it and then go back the item is most likely gone. The best part I think about these stores is the price tag. They will say the compare price if you were to buy the same top at another store. It always makes me feel great that I'm getting a brand name top or bottom at a fraction of the price.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My go to places are either outlet stores or discount stores such as Ross Dress for Less and Marshal’s.

As those are hit or miss depending on when you go, it’s nice to go a few times if you don’t find what you are looking for at the first time. Don’t give up! They have great things, but they come and go fairly quickly.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always like to go to charity shops to get a bargain, and if you go to areas where richer people live, there will be much better clothes there because of the types of things they're getting rid of. And the prices are incredibly reasonable. Of course, you don't always know what you're going to find, but it is always worth having a look to see if there is something that you like.