Tips For Purchasing A New Computer

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Punkin • Aug 27, 2017.

1. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Running my own little office over the years I have learned quite a bit about how to get the most out of a computer. As part of my business' infrastructure, my goals are to get a quality device that will not have to be replaced soon. Of course, I did not make all the right decisions in the beginning so I thought I'd share some buying tips to help you avoid the mistakes I did.

Time is Money

When you purchase a computer is an important consideration. There are two times of year it is best to buy. If you are going to purchase a computer from one of the big companies like Dell or HP, you want to aim for the mid to late summer. It is during this time that they're usually liquidating older, but still very serviceable models to make inventory space for the Hotter ticket items that will be coming in for the holiday season. If you're going to purchase from a "build your own" site like CyberPowerPC, however, you want to aim for the holiday season. They primarily broker in standard parts, making the bulk of their money through labor costs. These labor costs are often discounted for the holidays, making them an excellent source for PC's late in the year.

Gaming Isn't Just For Gamers

It's rarely a good idea to be playing Starcraft during business hours, but an entry-level gaming PC can be an office's best friend! These computers will often sport superior cooling technology and have more robust power sources. While this may not sound like a big deal, these two seemingly innocuous parts can have a dramatic impact on both the performance of your PC and its lifespan. Again, remembering that your computer is an infrastructural component, the idea is always to have long-lasting equipment. Spending a few extra dollars up front on a cheap gaming PC can save you hundreds over the lifetime of your business. They tend to look cool, too!

Don't Be Afraid to Shop Around

It can be a fun experience to sit in front of a company's web site building your dream box. That said, the upgrades these companies offer over the base model come at a premium. They will charge $100+ for a hard drive you can easily get yourself from a reputable company for $50. Likewise, many of that company's models may be available in third party stores. They won't be customizable when bought that way, but you will often get a better deal on that specific rig through an electronics store than you will direct from the manufacturer if you hit a closeout sale.

I hope you have found the tips in this buyer's guide useful. Remember to be mindful of the times when computers are cheapest, seek entry level gaming rigs for long-lasting value, and keep your options open when looking at specific models, and you will find yourself with a future-proof rig which will not break your budget. Happy shopping!

2. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing such an insightful tips on when to get the best deals on pricing when purchasing a new computer. I got mine around 2015 but it was during the winter period and I knew then that I was paying an extra price considering how much it was a few months back before I made my purchase.

I think if I had known then, I would have given it some time to see some slash in prices during the summer because my pc is from HP computers.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for such great tips!! This time of year when back to school sales are abundant is a great time to purchase a new computer. I am always seeing ads for getting ready for college and laptops and notebooks are all on sale. This would be the time I would buy a new computer the next time I am in the market for them. I don't mind that they wouldn't be the "hottest" model because they are usually over priced and out of my budget.

4. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Great tips! Thanks a lot! I agree with the idea about gaming PCs, aside from looking cool they are also really good for office work since a good gaming PC is faster in terms of processing data. Though it would consume a lot more electricity, it still is pretty good to invest in one since the parts would last longer. And I would go to the build your own PC thing than the buying a prebuilt one.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Your tips are extremely useful... Good work! :) It will certainly help a lot of people (who can read this topic) the next time they go to buy a new computer.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of some of these facts, especially that there are certain times during the year when some good deals could be available. I have to give your topic the thumbs up.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think one good tip would be to have more RAM. Because that way the system can perform lot better. And you'd have less system freeze issues. Having low RAM is not good enough in many ways. People have to consider that part. And also having good keyboard too helps with the posture and the typing speed. Some new keyboards from Lenovo are really bad. That's something he has to pay attention too.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I always can't run some PC games even if I meet the requirements, and I think it's because of my video card. It seems to be not compatible with some games, so I would pay attention to video cards.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip for buying a computer. Another to save money when you buy a computer is checking for sales. Television advertisements, newspaper ads and holiday time there's a huge sale. There is Black Friday, Cyber Sales a week long sales too during the Thanksgiving holiday time. Amazon has a huge cyber sale during this time too. Lots of savings on not only computers many other products are up for sale too. It's wonderful that the manufacturers and retail has super duper sales every year for all our needs! Happy savings!