Tips For Saving Money When Making Healthier Foods?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Verity Darkwaters • Jan 27, 2016.

1. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    So I went grocery shopping, and it went up this week because we are feeding an extra person, and because we decided to eat healthier. I know it doesn't have to be expensive, fish and some veggies, or chicken and rice, but I get bored and like a lot of variety. But these recipes, even the basic, get expensive over time. This time wasn't too bad, but I spent FOREVER, running around trying to find certain items. How do y'all eat naturally or healthy without breaking the budget and without your food being too plain or being the same thing over and over again?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Buy in bulk when you can. Beans and rice are good when trying to make food last longer. Potatoes rich in antioxidants like purple and sweet potato are good also since there aren't as many carbs as white potatoes.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You can save a good amount on chicken if you live near a Costco, since they sell $5 whole rotisserie chickens. Not only are they half the price of what you would pay for a whole fresh chicken, they're a big time saver as well. Plus depending on how many people you are feeding, you can stretch one into multiple meals. You can easily pay upwards of $8+ for a pack of just three chicken breasts, and here you're getting an entire chicken for a fraction of the cost. Below is a link to some example recipes you can make with a Costco chicken:

Otherwise, try to stick with bulk packs of chicken thighs and drumsticks, as opposed to boneless skinless chicken breasts which cost much more. If you cook the thighs and drumsticks long enough they will melt in your mouth and stay really juicy. Plus most of the fat in them will have melted off.

For pork and beef, instead of buying expensive steaks, opt for a whole roast when on sale and cut them up into steaks yourself if you choose to do so. I can usually get a 2lb ribeye pork roast for under $6, and cut it up into multiple chops (or just roast it whole). Beef roasts are frequently buy one get one free at many stores. If you've got a meat grinder, you can even make your own ground beef (and sausage) from inexpensive cuts of meat.

If you cook your own beans from scratch (dried), you can save several dollars on them as opposed to buying them canned. One bag is usually under $2 and can make the equivalent of several cans of bean which may sell for $1 or so each.

Make your own pasta sauce from canned crushed tomatoes, instead of buying the jarred stuff. Canned crushed tomatoes can often be found for around $1 per can, as opposed to jarred sauces which can run you over $6 a jar easily.

Try to get as much of your basics at Dollar Tree first. It's really easy to shave $10-$20 or more off your bill by getting staples such as frozen fries, frozen berries, frozen veggies, and more there.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you guys those are good tips. We have a Costco but I'd never even been in there! Looks like I will be having a shopping adventure! Thank you also @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 for that link. You know, I don't know why, but buying a roast and cutting it into steaks never crossed my mind. That is a great idea because I am constantly seeing roasts on sale!

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another way to save some money and stretch your budget is to make soup. You can save the small pieces of meat and bones, and make your own stock for a base, or stock up on canned stock when it's on sale. You don't have to use a lot of meat in a soup, since the flavoring comes from scraps of meat and also the marrow in the bones, so that's a savings right there. You can use frozen or canned vegetables if you're in a hurry, just buy them when they're on sale, and you can do the same with any beans you'd like to add, or as @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 mentioned, you can use dried beans to save money. You can also add in barley to give the soup extra body.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always cook my meals in bulk, and then freeze the portions that I don't want to use that day. I find that it is a lot better to do this, because it means that you can buy in bulk and save money, and it also means that you don't have to cook every single time you want a certain meal - you can just get a portion out of the freezer and heat it up. So I like that about it, too.

7. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Here are some tips for eating healthy on a budget:
    1. Buy produce that is in season. If you are looking for a produce item that is out of season, check the frozen foods section.
    2. Buy frozen fruits and vegetables. They often go on sale at grocery stores in my area at least once per month, for around $1 each for a 1 lb bag of frozen vegetables. The great thing about these is that they are already washed and cut up for your recipes!
    3. Look for reduced produce in your produce section. Often grocery stores will end up with too much of a certain produce item (such as bagged lettuce), so in order to sell it quickly by the expiration date they will mark it down. This produce is usually near expiration, and will need to be eaten sooner. However, if it's an item that can be cut up and frozen (such as bell peppers), you can freeze it in Ziploc bags yourself and save it for future recipes.
    4. Aldi consistently has lower produce prices than the other grocery stores in my area. Aldo even offers some organic produce. If you have an Aldi near you, it may be worth checking into.
    5. Grow your own vegetables and fruit. If you have the time and space, growing your own vegetables or fruit can be really rewarding. It can be something as simple as a couple of potted tomato and pepper plants on your patio, or a large vegetable garden and apple tree in your back yard. Freeze or can the extra produce you grow to be used later in the year.
    6. Dried rice and beans are inexpensive and can be stored for a long time. Buying these items in bulk will save a lot of money. I use my crockpot to cook a large batch of dried beans or rice, then I freeze smaller containers or jars of them to be used in later recipes.
    7. Try to eliminate waste. Plan meals that will use up your leftovers so that you can limit the amount of food being thrown away. For example, leftover vegetable fried rice, vegetable soup, and casseroles can be a great way to use up leftovers before they go bad.
    • Pinterest has a ton of healthy recipe ideas! Also, if you're getting bored of the same old recipes, head to the library for a wide variety of cookbooks to choose from.