Tips On Data Usage For Those Who Love Streaming

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by AllAboutTheLincolns • Sep 8, 2015.

1. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    I've recently been moving my music and podcasting from iTunes to Spotify and Soundcloud. It's a wonderful process if you want instant access to all of your favorites right away. However, my data bills have been extreme lately! I can't stop listening to podcasts on the road, but it eats so much money up using all this free entertainment.

Do you guys have any tips on data usage for streamers on the go? Should I just go back to downloading new episodes of my favorite 'casts before I leave for work? Let me know your cost saving ideas below.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Use Wi-Fi whenever possible because that doesn't affect data. Disable certain apps from accessing your LTE connection, and uninstall apps that run in the background all the time. From there, you can switch to your 3G connection if desired because you'll lose less data because it's slower. Use Chrome browser and change the setting that compresses data to allow for extra data savings. There are tons of things you can do.

3. troutski

Threads:
    I went with general data saving tips. My bad. For streaming stuff, you should consider switching over to T-Mobile because I know they offer UNLIMITED data for certain streaming music apps. You're better off downloading content to watch before you head out for the day, otherwise. Switch to an unlimited data plan from Sprint or T-Mobile, or you can get 10GB of data for $60 from a prepaid carrier like Cricket Wireless.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some downloads give a warning message that it is quite a big file so you should be on wifi to download it otherwise it may take a toll on your data subscription. I only download or use streaming when I'm at home. We have a wifi router here and I can use the internet as long as I want, no need for warnings for data limits. But in the office, our wifi is exclusive for senior officers only so we cannot just use it.

5. AllAboutTheLincolns

Threads:
    That sounds so tempting. Once I leave my current contract, I may just have to do that. I do wonder though: are there any hidden fees with T-mobile? I can't do prepaid carriers because there's an aspect of me going over without any help that leaves me too vulnerable to take a risk. Other than that, I will follow my gut on downloading the content first. Thanks!

6. troutski

Threads:
    Aside from the taxes and fees you see on your current phone bill (assuming your carrier is one of the Big Four), there are no hidden fees or charges. You get what your plan says you get, and then you don't run into sudden, unexpected fees at the end of the month. T-Mobile, like all carriers, have add-ons that you can put on your plan for an added fee, but you don't have to really worry about getting "accidentally" signed up for those kinds of things.

7. AllAboutTheLincolns

Threads:
    Wow. Thank you so much for your input. When my contract expires, I will certainly go shopping around for the best deal, but now T-mobile is certainly higher up on my list. I am such a skeptic for the fine print, however, so I can't take anything at face value anymore no matter how hard I try. Any other carriers you suggest on contract-based phone plans? I want to keep my options as open as possible.

8. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    To save on cellular data, I only stream music and videos when I am connected to wifi. I conserve my cellular data and use it only for internet browsing, checking emails and social media. I am not sure with android phones but for Apple iPhones, there is an option to turn off applications when on cellular data. For example, I only turn on the applications for Safari, Viber and Facebook when I need to use my cellular data because there is no wifi connection. The rest of the applications may be inaccessible but I can always turn it back on when needed. These can greatly conserve your data usage, streaming only when you have wifi connection and turning off other applications when not in use.

9. troutski

Threads:
    I rank T-Mobile behind both AT&T and Verizon on network performance, but, really, T-Mobile will get the job done, especially in larger cities where their coverage is more competitive and full. I know plenty of people that switched to and now love T-Mobile. Based on price alone and the music streaming unlimited feature, I can't recommend my usual Verizon or AT&T because you'll spend a lot more money with them and still not have that unlimited music streaming option.

So T-Mobile is the best on-contract carrier I can come up with for your situation and needs. Hands-down.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really wish I could use T mobile. They seem to offer the best plans, and the most reasonable rates around. Sadly, I can't get it out here in boonieville where I live. I can't wait until I can move...I hope and pray anyway..So I can get some decent internet and phone services. Living in a rural area is bad for that.

11. mooray

moorayNew Member

Threads:
    Unlimited wifi is better and cheaper. Also, if you are subscribed to data bundles you can disable images and automatic updata to avoid your data charge going through the roof.

12. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    What do you mean by that?

I recently switched from my contract with Verizon to a pre-paid plan with Page Plus wireless. I have run out of data twice in the 2 years I've used them (both due to forgetting I'd turned my wifi off at some point and was running 4G in my house). When that happens all you have to do is get online and buy another data package. Essentially, it just bumps up your auto-pay date. My husband and I cut our cell phone bills in half, and enjoy all the same benefits as we had with Verizon minus one. No really good deals on phone upgrades. That is it though. We've been creative about procuring the latest iPhones and have managed to continue to get good deals, and save tons of money.