Tissues or handkerchiefs?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • Oct 9, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have allergies since I am a kid, so I have always carried a handkerchief, no way around that. I tried tissues, but after a while they hurt my nose, not to mention the fact that they are more expensive. What do you prefer, tissues or handkerchiefs?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tissues are more hygienic these days, though using a handkerchief is fine if you have time to launder and iron them all the time. Disposable tissues are more convenient for most lifestyles. You can try the soft balm ones, as yes some can be a little rough, which is why quality does matter if you are sensitive.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luckily, I don't have much use for either. I have a packet of tissues in my handbag and also in my car, but I couldn't bring myself to carry around a handkerchief. I guess I must have been traumatized as a kid whenever it comes to handkerchiefs, as I have only ever seen them in connection with scary or disgusting things. One of my uncles had a bad cancer that was chewing away at his face. It started on top of his head, and he covered it up with a handkerchief tied into four knots. I can never forget him or his "handkerchief hats".

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same way, I much prefer handkerchiefs even though I don't really see many people using them anymore.
    I feel like the paper tissues are a big waste, they are more expensive and end I end up with a rash on my nose.
    I always have one with me and another at my desk at home.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer a handkerchief, but I don't have one, I don't even know where to get one. I usually just use toilet paper and flush it because if I have the sniffles I am always trying to hide it. I find most tissues aren't all that much softer than toilet paper so I don't bother buying it. My mom bought the Puffs Plus once and they were really nice on the skin, but totally not going to be spending that kind of money on tissues myself.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I notice that I don't carry a hanky with me anymore as much as I used to before, so I guess I would say nowadays, none. But when I eat outside, I would prefer to wipe the oil or other stuff in a tissue and not in a hanky. I think hanky's are for wiping sweat only.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Handkerchiefs are better all the way. You buy them once and don't need to replace them for a very long time. While tissues can be marketed as being more hygienic, fact is people have used handkerchiefs without any issues for ages so why should they all of a sudden be considered to be unhygienic? The stuff marketers will get us to believe!

I'll choose handkerchiefs any day.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used handkerchiefs as a kid but as an adult I use tissues only. I can understand the handkerchief pro arguments like re-usability but honestly, the image of people using dirty or not so nice looking handkerchiefs hunts me to this day. With tissues it's easier, albeit a little more expensive - it's clean, you use it and you throw it away. You don't keep in your pockets all that discarded bodily material.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I'd love to be like that as well prettycolors, that would mean that I would not be blowing my nose as often as I do, but in crisis days like today I am doing it every 10 minutes, so if I was using tissues my nose would be bleeding right now.

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer tissues---I mean, the idea IS that you want to get rid of whatever it is, making the hanky seem like 'a nice little mobile-home for whatever it is your system rejected.'

But the one use I would have for a hanky is in cleaning my glasses. I've heard (from my lens-dealer) that using paper-tissue on glasses is essentially the same as scraping off the water with wood-chips ... not healthy for the smoothness of the lens :eek:

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer tissues. I very rarely use hankerchiefs. Tissues are cheap and you can just toss them after you use them. I tend to get the ones that are the softest possible so that they don't hurt my nose if I'm using them when I have a cold or something like that.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer tissues now because I consider them a bit more sanitary since you only ever use each piece once. Plus, it's just paper and it is degradable anyway so I don't feel that guilty for using so much. The only problem is that I do use so much. I could go through a roll in a very short time if I happen to be doing some activities or chores.

13. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've always used tissues just because I'm kind of a germ freak and I find it gross to be carrying around a handkerchief, I mean, nothing against anyone who does, it's just not something I really could do because I would feel weird about it.

14. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    For daily use, to wipe my face, my hands, I use a handkerchief, that's just me, It seems a little improper to be walking around with loads and loads of tissue paper. When I go to the bathroom however, I will use the tissue paper or the paper towel for almost anything, wiping hands, wiping face, etc. It to me, is just the right time to use such a thing. So, it is safe to say that I use tissue in the bathroom and my handkerchief outside of the bathroom. When I have a running nose, it's the same procedure, tissue paper while in the bathroom and handkerchief outside of the bathroom to wipe my nose :)

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well yes, if you count all the tissues you've personally bought since day one compared to a handkerchief that's been given to you in a single occasion, the latter is more economical. For hygiene purposes, though, it's better to keep a tissue. I mean, there are times you feel like sneezing a lump of booger or throwing up mucus. It'll be a hassle to clean a stain-filled handkerchief (imagine the amount of water and detergent you'll be spending). I prefer tissue and not because I dislike handkerchiefs. It's simply because I'm absent-minded and tend to misplace my handkerchief all the time.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a fact xTinx, that is why when I am really sick I always carry a few spare handkerchiefs with me because one might not be enough for the whole day. Sure, it's more economic, not so hygienic and more hard work, it really depends on each one.