To Buy Or Not To Buy Based On Advertisements.

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Jasmin Cottontail • Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually watch TV so I don't have any ideas with TV commercials and product advertisements anymore. Normally I just go to the grocery store with my usual grocery list to do the shopping. Whenever I shop online or stumble into a certain product which I'm not familiar with, I tend to search for user reviews to know more about the product if it's worth buying or not, however I don't base my buying decisions on product commercials or advertisements.

Do you consider product commercials and advertisements in your "buying" decision? Would you purchase an item or a product just because it has a good advertisement or a popular celebrity is endorsing it?

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    TV commercials and advertisements are not really effective at first glance though they are intended to be in the first place. The psychology that works for those who place them works on the subconscious mind through repetition. When something is around for some time and you keep hearing it, it becomes part of your life. And not all advertisements are misleading and some can be a minefield.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, all TV channels are advertising big time as it is their main source of income and in the process the manufacturers are taking full advantage within short time. They are showing unbelievable adverts believing that telling the same lie 100 times will lur the customer at some point or the other. I do not even understand some of the adverts or what was their product.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    It is true indeed. Seeing a certain commercial the first time won't really make an impact. Well there are times that I will remember a certain commercial just the first time seeing it when there is something remarkable in it (which are very rare nowadays). Usually, when you go to the grocery to shop and there's a certain commercial that crosses your mind, you tend to check the product to buy it. Not because you remember the product, but the advertisement :)

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to rely on word of mouth and on real product reviews rather than the celebrity who is endorsing it. I actually buy the branded ones and products that are of good and reputable quality, so I don't really rely on advertisements when it comes to buying products. However, at the most it does make me curious to try it out if the advertisement is about food.

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I can say that now I am not concerned about advertisements I ended up buying a lot of products based on advertisements in the past. But if it is a good brand there is always value for money or at least you can be sure of its quality. I hardly watch TV but advertisements on newspapers used to attract me a lot.

But nowadays I changed my shopping habits and never buy anything based on advertisements. I only buy those things which are required for me. These days even trusted brands are caught in various scams and the latest one was Nestle noodle which was banned due to high concentration of chemicals like led in it. However, they got the license back and again started doing business here.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that tv commercial impacts most significantly on young and old people. For some reasons they are so easily convinced that the products will be as effective ad claimed. I, however, read the fine print and buy only those stuff that I need and are useful to me. I do not mind giving a new product a try if i need it anyways after doing some research on it.

8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the products and the brand. If the brand is well known and trustworthy then if they are introducing a new product, then I might consider buying it. Otherwise, I will think twice before buying anything based on the advertisement. But yes, to try out new things, we do depend on advertisement.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. The products rarely work like they're advertised on television. They use as many takes as possible to make the product look good. There's a blooper video I can't find now that shows advertisement announcer, Anthony Sullivan saying ''why don't these products ever work like we say?''

10. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    In spite of the fact that publicizing at times causes inconveniences and just urges us to get a few things that we don't generally require, it offers a valuable channel of correspondence, helping purchasers access to different items, learning costs and getting overhauled news about advancements.

Under today's expanding utilization request, different items are accessible available and it turns out to be hard for shoppers to get a full scope of data about their appearance.

Not just does the publicizing give fundamental data about the new items and administrations, however it offers the right cost to clients, helping them settling down choice for their day by day and week after week acquiring spending plan. Value data of soups, toothbrush, sauces and numerous other day by day devoured items which are promoted on television, daily papers and magazines are extremely fundamental for customers to adjust their financial plan before choosing to get a few things.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Commercial advertisement has a subliminal effect on the audience particularly in tv commercials. In buying products, we do not rely on advertisements but it is better to patronize an advertised product than one with no advertisement. A selling product can afford to advertise.

12. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    To some extent. It doesn't help in my final decision but it points me in the direction I want go. I need first hands experience of what I am contemplating on. Advertisements don't give me that. They only give you what they think you want,

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I like the advertisements and I think they are kinda important (some can be memorable, by the way). But overall, I never let myself be influenced by them. I consider them, I compare them whenever it's necessary, but the final word on what I should or shouldn't buy is from my conscience. :cool:

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    There are products out there that I haven't used before, the only way I got knowledge about them is through advertisement. I do buy items based on advertisement especially new and strange products. I have used detergents that were new in the market through seeing them advertised on air. I have also tried out some packed food items, example the noodles, by simply getting to know about them on TV.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady I agree with you that older ones and children get easily allured to TV advertising or any advertising for that matter because children trust everything and the older lot doesn't know the marketing tricks developed in recent times. However, some products with proven quality keep advertising just to stay alive in the memory of their consumers. Like I would recommend Johnson and Johnson baby soap to would be parents forever.

#15Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  16. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I agree about the subliminal effect, especially with things like a commercial that has a catchy jingle that gets stuck in your head. You might find yourself humming their song, which could lead you to at least go look at their product if not buy it.

I think I will respectfully disagree on the latter point. An item might be selling very well at first, giving the seller lots of money to spend on advertising, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's as advertised. Maybe a bunch of people tried it because they liked the ad, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will stick with it. If it's not that great the hype will die down after a while.

#16Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  17. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Yes, this may sound unfair to companies who have no online/offline advertising schemes, but I certainly would place my trust on a company that advertise over those who don't. That's because when they're advertising, they're making quality claims that the public can make them accountable for later.

However, I will have to agree with @thisnthat@thisnthat that having ads doesn't necessarily mean that a product is selling well. On the contrary, companies come up with ads when their product or concept is new or when demand is expected to be low.

That being said, I am open to new products and ideas that are promising and can help me save money on the long run.

#17Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
  18. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    What's the most important thing a company can put in their ad or TV commercial to get your attention? There is always a lot of hype over new products, but sometimes, that's all it is.

Would you rather hear about how it is made, what it's made of, if it's sustainable, what makes it function better than others, and stuff like that, or are you more concerned with color, style, name brand, favorite store that carries it, etc.?

For me, price comes first. It doesn't necessarily have to be the lowest price, but the best value for the money. Which company offers me that? That's what I"m most interested in. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a better product (which saves money over the long term). The best deal for me, is the best value.

19. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is really difficult to differentiate a product quality based on advertisement. Both good and bad products depend on advertising these days. Even if you want to produce and sell genuine products in the market you just can't survive without advertisements. Advertisements are required at least to introduce your product among customers and thereby enhance its visibility. Inferior quality products can't survive for long as there are a lot of options open before a customers and there is cut throat competition in almost all fields.

But nowadays customers are more informed due to the advent of Internet. We know what is good for us and don't rely blindly on any celebrities who is being paid for selling a product. I think that is a good trend and it must continue.

20. Bartvbe

BartvbeNew Member

Threads:
    Television influences us more then we can imagine, especially when it comes to products etc. Every 10 minutes there is a commercial running which is repeated at least 10 to 50 times in that day. So yes, what we see on television or what famous people are showing/wearing, subconsciously makes us want to buy it as well. This is also the reason why less television time is good for the eyes and mind but also for the wallet.