Tobey Maguire vs Andrew Garfield

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Oct 26, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I loved Spidey 1 to 3. Spiderman 2 was probably one of the best superhero movies ever made. I think Tobey Maguire really nailed it as he played the role of Peter Parker. He was geeky and fragile without the mask and he was cocky with the spidey suit. But after Spiderman 3, Tobey Maguire no longer played spiderman. The franchise was remade and Andrew Garfiled played the new Peter Parker. Who do you think is the better Spiderman - Tobey or Andrew?
    Andrew_Garfield_Tobey_Maguire_Who_The_Better_Spider_Man_1341345824.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I won't even see the new one.. does that answer your question? lol. I don't even understand how they went about it.. it goes back to high school? Didn't the first movies start in high school? I haven't paid attention to any of it. I had a hard time accepting Tobey as Spiderman, but agree.. he nailed it. I'm not moving on lol.

3. lindbergh

Threads:
    Haha. Well, I watched the Spiderman movie that starred Andrew Garfield and it was okay. But it doesn't surpass any of the Spidey movies of Tobey Maguire IMO. I also think that a remake of Spiderman is a bit too soon. Geez. We all saw Tobey transform from a geeky nerd into a web swinging hero and it was shown again in Andrew's Spiderman flick. It's a bit too redundant.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So it's a remake???? Are you kidding me? lol.. Yes, just a bit too fresh to be heading down the remake road lol.

#4Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  5. lindbergh

Threads:
    Oh, it's not an exact remake. They just went back to the start wherein Peter Parker was just an ordinary kid and then he got bitten by a radioactive spider, then he learned how to use his web and his superhuman skills... But the movie is different too because it features a different villain.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL so exactly the same story, but they change the original "reality" a bit? haha.. makes no sense to me. They need to stop trying to fix what isn't broken ;)

7. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer the Andrew Garfield remake to be honest. I like his Peter Parker better. While there have been several different Peter Parkers, i found that Tobey Maguire's version was overly simplistic. As Maguire he was portrayed as a one sided overly nerdy character, which isn't accurate to his character.

8. lindbergh

Threads:
    Haha. Well yeah, you could put it that way. :D

Finally someone who likes Andrew Garfield. I've heard some people tell this about Maguire's version too. They said that it was too geeky. But that made his Spidey character a lot more awesome IMO.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. I grew up watching and reading Spiderman and when Tobey first took it on, I was so disappointed. He was nothing like I knew. He just sort of grows on you and there's something about him that makes you really feel for his character. I still don't prefer him, but the other guy is stepping on my toes, so just, nope lol...

10. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Andrew over Toby. Toby was just too dorky as spiderman and I didn't really like any of his spiderman movies. He did not do a good Peter Parker and I think the 3 spiderman movies he did were awful. The stories were weak and the plots were thin because they just didn't capture the true character of spiderman in these movies.
    Now Andrew Garfield did a better job as Peter Parker because he looked more the part than Toby. I liked The Amazing Spiderman and I think that they captured the true character of Peter Parker in this movie. They made him more human and they stuck truer to the.comic books than the other Spiderman movies. I can't wait to see the next movie.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only watched all the Spiderman movies starring Tobey Maguire, so I couldn't compare it yet to Andrew Garfield's version since I haven't watched it yet. But I think Tobey's 3 Spiderman films were quite good, it would be quite a feat to surpass that.

12. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    That's the whole point of the character! Jeez.

That said, Tobey Maguire doesn't make the cut as Spiderman. He was great as Peter Parker in the first movie (but only the first movie), but couldn't make the transition as Spiderman. Peter Parker is supposed to be a meek dork and Spiderman is supposed to be super confident, Tobey Maguire couldn't do both.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like Andrew Garfield's build a lot more, I prefer a skinnier Spiderman. However, I think Andrew Garfield's performance is a little more flat, but I think that just might have to do more with the entire direction of the movie, I don't hold it entirely against him. Overall, I still prefer Garfield's Spiderman look, but as for the whole movie, I'd pick the original.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fine!! I'll watch and report back lmao

15. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:

I know that was how his character was, but Toby was just too dorky in my opinion. He just sucked as that character and I think that they should have gone with someone else.

16. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Tobey Maguire is a poor actor and he was a bad Spiderman but he was exactly how I thought Spidey would be before he got his powers. A down on his luck dork who gets bullied all the time. I didn't like the movies but Sam Raimi got Peter Parker all right.

17. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that Toby is a poor actor. I will also agree that peter parker was dorky in the comic, but Toby just didn't do it for me in that role. He was just not the right person for that role. That's just my opinion.

18. IndianapolisJones

IndianapolisJonesNew Member

Threads:
    Seriously?? I hated Tobey Maguire's Spiderman. He's too timid and didn't really embody the awesomeness that is Spiderman. Andrew Garfield did a better job of being true to Spidey, though he still has room for improvement. If he's coming back for a sequel, it'll probably be better because he has had time to explore Spiderman's character. Overall I liked the reboot more, though James Franco adds points to Sam Raimi's Spiderman, but Marc Webb's has Emma Stone so....