Toddler Birthday Party Ideas?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by thisnthat • Jan 5, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    So, I'm trying to come up with some fun ideas for a toddler's birthday party (in a few weeks). I don't have a lot of time or money, but I want it to be cute. I'd love to hear some of your creative ideas or thoughts on where to shop for good deals on party supplies and stuff like that.

I think I am buying the toys that I'll be giving as gifts from Amazon, but I still need all the other stuff. It doesn't need to be a themed party, just cute and fun decorations. I'm thinking that I'll try to Incorporate the decorations and the wrapping paper I use, so the gifts can also be part of the decorations.

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I've seen parents throw a huge party for their 4-year-old child. Everyone else has fun but the child. All a 4-year-old/toddler needs is a day with their family, buy them candy, good food, let them do mostly whatever they want, and grant privileges they wouldn't usually be granted on normal days. That's what a good day for a toddler is. Even a day at the park afterward is nice for them. All you have to spend on is the food and presents. Heck, ask the toddler if he wants you to cook something or eat out. You'll save lots of time and money. It's his/her day.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Toddlers would surely love toys and the host should be ready with the giveaway toys otherwise the kids will be disappointed. A plus to the excitement are simple parlor games. Just be careful, no running. How about homemade party hats using colored papers? That's a hit here. And for the appetizer, cocktail hotdogs with marshmallows will never fail you.

4. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Invite some of his friends to the party and as @Alexandoy@Alexandoy mentioned, try using household stuff to make the party look grand. Colored papers is a really good idea. Kids would love some homemade food too. Plan out some cool games such as musical chairs, drawing the donkey's tail with blinded eyes and stuff like that and give away small prizes(color pencil box, a toy car etc) to the winners. It will keep the kids engaged for a while. A small cake with the toddler's name on it will do the job nicely. Play some cute kid's songs on youtube to keep the floor and the mood ongoing. There's very little expenditure involved and it also gives a grand look.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    When we do birthday parties for the children at home, we only invite their friends. We make it a point to create everything child friendly, starting from the food to every minuscule detail. Each child is given a return gift and that way the tiny guests become immensely happy. Here, you need to catch the pulse of children as well to select the return gifts. There're certain gifts which particularly make the children glad. After all, it's their day and they deserve undivided attention.

#5Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Birthdy parties for such a young age should be aimed at the child's world of happiness. Yes, a bit of glittery cheap paper decoration would make him hsppy with few coloured bouncing balloons that he can go after.

His favourite homemade food and a cute birthday cap will certainly make a difference. He more the merrier, so few invited age mates would make his day.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the fun ideas. I will be making some paper decorations, and I like the idea of making our own party hats to go with them. I got some plates and napkins and a little expandable birthday centerpiece thing at a discount store. These are all in primary colors, so I have my color scheme now.

I have found that little ones find great joy in even the little things. They seem to get more excited over a balloon than they do over fancy stuff, so I will definitely have balloons. I can get a big bag of them for a buck at the dollar store. The rest of the family can help me blow them up.

I am making a banner of pennants from paper and I will include a few of them made from the gift wrap I use, so it's all coordinated.

I want to do cute stuff with the food too. Any thoughts?

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy most decorations in the dollar store. I know they are all well stocked up with very cute party supplies and you will save a lot. You may also buy supplies to DIY your own party favors or games for the kids. Make sure there is a lot of activities for the kids. Remember it's a kids party not a party for the parents which I think most adults forget. Buy some fun snacks and you can even buy a large pizza just for them.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you here. I see way too many parties "for kids" that are clearly meant for the parents (or to show off to other parents). Where I used to live it was like a competition to see who could spend the most money and have the most lavish party. I found it all quite ridiculous. It really doesn't do the kids any favors either. They just expect more and more over the top stuff.

This is actually a party for my grandbaby. I've done more than a few of these in my day (I have four kids, mostly grown now), but I'm always very interested in hearing about other people's fun and money saving ideas. :)

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    That is rediciulos when pso

11. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight I totally agree, it's not that they won't appreciate a party. But giving a toddler what he really likes would be one of the best days of his life. Back in the days, if I would be given a choice, I would trade lots of my birthday parties for things that I like.

#11Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Working Buck@Working Buck Exactly and once, the parents hired a DJ for their kid's birthday party. All they played was grinding music with vulgar lyrics. The only good time the kid had was when he opened the presents or blew out the candles. Other than that, I don't think the parents paid much attention to him because they were too busy partying.

I think it would be better to take the kid out to a fair, buy him a corn dog and a nice dessert while spending time with him. It isn't so hard. It's cheaper and consumes less time than a party for adults.

#12Jan 7, 2017
  13. Working Buck

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight A DJ for a party? For a kid? that's hilarious man LOL! I bet only the adults enjoyed that one. And yes, most kids do not want these things. I remember when I was a kid, I just wanted quality time to be spent with my family on my birthday. Some food cooked by my mom and a few guests. I hate loud music and a lot of people. the fair and corn dog idea you have is great.

#13Jan 15, 2017
  14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    If you are not cost conscious it would be more funnier to have it done by the fast food provider. Everything is well provided including the clown to entertain the kids who are invited by the parents. Well, in our case, in the recent birthday party for my 4-year old granddaughter, we prepared the foods, the give-aways and sent invitations to her kinder classmates and had the party done in the school. That's what we did.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Working Buck@Working Buck I remember we took our little cousin to the park with 3 of his friends and bought a pizza, some Doritos, and a few drinks for them. He had the time of his life. Some people think children waste so much money because they need big surprises when they don't know that kids will enjoy the simplest and cheapest things in life most.

#15Jan 15, 2017
  16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    HI- I was thinking in the same terms when one of my friends suggested me to book a party planner in a nearby area. It worked well for me and my family. We had choice to pick a theme for party, menu and games for children and friends. That was lot of fun because everything was handled by the planners at a very reasonable rate. Children also enjoyed a lot as planners kept them engaged for entire duration of 2 hours.

17. Working Buck

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight I agree with that. I bet a toddler might love to have a bicycle or a console than an expensive birthday party full of grown ups.

#17Jan 16, 2017
  18. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Working Buck@Working Buck Heck, yeah. Ask any kid in the world ''would you like a 5,000 dollar party or 1,000 dollars worth of video games?'' You can bet your pepperonis he'll want the video games. I know I would want the video games and maybe purchase something else with the rest. Maybe a pool. Or put that into a bank and let him save some money so that he can buy something later.

#18Jan 16, 2017
  19. Working Buck

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight I can bet whatever I have that the kid would choose video games over a big party. and yes, saving money in the bank is a good thing to teach kids too.

#19Jan 17, 2017
  20. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Working Buck@Working Buck If you're going to spend 5,000 dollars on a party, you might as well take your child to Disneyland. The trip may cost around 1000 dollars and the stay there will definitely cost less than 4,000 dollars. You all had fun, especially the child, you didn't spend as much, you got to visit Disneyland, a new area, and you still have cash left over. These ridiculous amounts of wasted money are more common with quinceanera or sweet sixteens. Ask your child what he/she wants.

#20Jan 17, 2017