Toilet roll

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Nov 15, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy budget or luxury? There is in between of course, but buying toilet roll can be a headache, do you buy recycled because it's green, but a little rough?

I know in a student house when it was a boys turn to buy he bought the cheapest there was and all the girls yelled at him because it didn't last long and was too flimsy! Women like quality and thickness!

Usually I buy premium brands on offer, or the generic brand but not the budget. The budget I have bought for trekking as they are smaller and that's what they sell in countries like Nepal and Thailand for trekking. I did once find a recycled one that was soft and reasonably priced, but I did spend hours in the aisle comparing sheet quantity, price and thickness. The staff must have thought i was mad!

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I buy cheap toilet paper is when I know exactly how long I'll have to use it. Like, if I'm not getting paid until Thursday, but on a Tuesday, I'll buy one roll of cheap toilet paper as even that can last for two days. But, other than that, I'll get my normal brand as I am familiar with it and even if I have to budget, I know how to meter out the paper.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We buy the 2-ply tissue paper in here. My dad tried to buy the single-ply type, but of course he found it too thin, and after that he never bought the single-ply type anymore.

4. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I think you will get as many answers as there are people in this world. You said that women like quality and thickness. In our house, it is the opposite. I want cheap and long lasting, and my hubby wants quality and thickness. I feel like we go through a roll every other day when we buy the "good" ones, but my hubby says the cheep ones are too flimsy and aren't worth it because he ends up using double the amount just to get the same effect. We haven't actually sat down and done the math to compare which one is more cost effective. It is one of those things that just isn't worth dissecting, because personal preference wins out on something like this. I just wish we could find a good middle ground.

5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I typically buy good name brand toilet paper -- I often find it is a better value than budget toilet paper. I am a couponer so I always follow the sales and use my deals and coupons to get my paper products super cheap.

6. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if there is what is considered cheap or luxury here. All toilet rolls are around the same price and most are 3 ply. I think 3 ply is all I have ever seen. There is a difference in the feel of them though. Some are sturdy and strong. Others are soft and break easily. I prefer the ones that are sturdy and strong, although the rolls are smaller than the soft ones. There are also rolls that are perforated and others that are not. I prefer the perforated ones because they are easier to tear.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I buy budget. It is an essential household expense, but one that can be kept to a minimum. I have four children so a lot of toilet roll gets used in my house. I never buy kitchen roll as I think it is just as easy to wipe something up with a cloth and I see it as an unecessary household expense.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a delicate subject as well as women tend to use more for obvious reasons. My brother when I shared with him would tell me off for using so much toilet roll and I had a flatmate that would use one roll a day. That's when I started buying budget and told her to buy some as a four pack should last two girls a week not half a week!

It is a necessary expense, but once I was trekking in the wilderness and you had to bag your paper which was then burnt, everyone on the trek had to use less as the paper bag was collected everyone's paper each day!

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to buy good quality paper as they are quite easy to use. I think it is always best to buy brands that can be really useful and last very long. I never compromise on toiletries. I prefer to buy the best of the best.

10. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    At home, we buy two kinds of toilet rolls: the thick and soft ones that are high in quality and the ones that you can classify to be in-between the cheap and expensive types.

We use the expensive toilet rolls when we have guests during parties and overnight stays at our house. This is because we believe that no matter how clean and fantastic a toilet smells, the quality and comfort of toilet paper a guest uses in the bathroom will always outweigh the overall visual presentation of a bathroom. As for the other type of toilet rolls we purchase, they are the ones we use everyday and when we don't have guests to worry about.

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy two brands of bathroom tissue that measure up to the highly commercialized brands as far as ply and softness. Between the two, one of them is always on sale or there is a coupon that I get in the mail every other month.

When I see commercials with a "play on words" as far as its use I would laugh but I don't buy it. It's too expensive to buy knowing that it's going to go down the drain.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a couple of brands around here that I can choose that are comparable in quality to the name brand toilet paper yet cost a lot less. I buy these regularly. One, is at a store further away, so I only get it if I happen to be going over that way anyway (it's the cheapest, so I stock up). The other I can get close by, so I buy it if it's on my list of things that are getting low around the house.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Budget all the way! I only get Scott toilet paper. The rolls seem to last the longest of any brand I have ever tried. It's the best too because it breaks apart so easily. It's even septic safe, so it is probably one of the most environmentally friendly toilet papers out there.

14. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really see the difference between branded and store-brand toilet paper, logically they should all have been produced in the same factory. What is important is that you buy 2-ply (or 3-ply, depending on your preference) toilet paper, I find a single layer to be too thin and fragile to be of any use.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We buy budget but not SUPER budget, if you get my drift there. lol. I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices for "luxury" TP but I don't want the same kind they stock in fast food places, either. A lot of the times the grocery store will have deals on TP, so it's not too bad to just stock up on.

16. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    There is a cheap 2-ply brand here that is not rough as the other brands. The brand name is "Tisyu". I don't really have a preference because I only use tissue paper to remove the oil from my face or wipe my hands.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are certain things you can not purchase cheap and tp is one of them. The other is mayonnise and cheese. The paper needs to be absorbent for women. Chiofthenorns do you not #2 and use tp? You say you only use tp to remove the oil from your face or wipe your hands.

18. franpj

franpjNew Member

Threads:
    I also do the comparison thing, especially if I have a coupon. I learned my lesson when I bought bargain brand, so therefore, the comparison thing. Don't know why I do that each time, considering nothing has changed from one week to the next, but there you have it.
    I watched the commercial of "you don't have to use as much each time" and I tried it. Now it's second nature to be conservative instead of extravagant. But I also use wet wipes each bathroom visit.