Tomato Planting Time

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Mar 31, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's that time of the year again for me. Time to turn my garden, choose my tomato plants and get them into the ground. I live in the deep south, though. It might not be quite time where you live.

In the past few years every time I find a new variety that I love I find that it's nowhere to be found the next year. Last year I had some calypsos in my mix and loved them. I hope I can find them again this year, but I guess I'll take what I can get and be glad of it.:)

2. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I tried planting them once but kept getting these white things growing with them no matter how much I fed and cleaned and whatnot. Good luck with your tomatoes though!

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The ground is still hard as a rock here, but I'm looking forward to planting time :) What else do you grow?

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, thank you for the luck wishes. I'm really curious about your white things. I'm picturing everything from mushrooms to aphids. Maybe you should try it again. Nothing beats a homegrown tomato on a BLT in summer.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am looking forward to getting out in the yard to start planting. It is still a little cold out but I can start planter boxes now, do some cleaning up in the area I want to plant in and I have a bush to cut down.

6. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    I want to try again but need more soil and pots. I went to a nature fair and was gifted a couple of trees so everything I had went into planting those. Lol

7. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    There is nothing better than a fresh, home grown tomato. Every year I say I'm going to plant some, but I let time get away from me. I did try one of those Topsy Turvy tomato planters one year; it was effective but the tomatoes were very tiny. Good luck with your crops!

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I need to be gifted a couple of trees. We cut four down this past winter in our yard. You know what I think I'd like though? I think a couple of nice blueberry bushes would be a perfect addition around here. I always have to go off and pick some every summer to freeze. I would love to have my own.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I am really looking forward to the BLT's. There is nothing I like better than that in the summer. I'm so looking forward to it that I went out and bought some of those tasteless grocery store tomatoes one day last week with some bacon and lettuce for a preview. My tongue is set now for sure.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have an absolutely huge garden when we had more land. It was wonderful. Now, I pretty much have to stick with container gardening. That's okay, since some of my kids have grown up and moved out now, and we don't need as much. I currently have one tomato plant and one batch of chives going. I will probably do a little more, but I won't go crazy. I'd like to have some peppers, maybe green onions, and some dill. I don't really have room for much else right now.

11. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Oh boy, Hayrake, you have my mouth watering! BLT with a homegrown tomato...absolutely delicious! Also, I love the idea of a blueberry bush, not only would you have fresh blueberries at your disposable, but they would look really pretty in your landscaping too!

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    It's always been my personal opinion that if you grow absolutely nothing else you should still plant tomatoes. I don't know why other than that they are just so good and you can't buy them like that in the stores.
    Of course, some people might be lucky enough to know someone or have someone in the family who grows and shares them. I usually share quite a few of mine with people I know who either don't have time to grow them or maybe just can't get out and garden like they used to.

13. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    Has anyone tried those hanging tomato planters or hydroponic grown ones? My space is limited so that one time I had tomatoes growing (before they got ruined) it was only two plants. :( I'm thinking of trying again with one of these two methods. There's also aquaponic but I don't know if tomatoes can be grown that way.

14. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never tried either method of growing tomatoes. I do know people who have done the upside down method and they've said it worked quite well. I would think, though, that it would make a difference what kind of dirt you use in your planter. I'm just not up on the idea that anything other than dirt from your own ground filled with all of what's in it plus the benefits of as much rainwater as they can get will produce a tasty tomato; but I don't know.
    I do know one man who grows massive beautiful tomatoes in an old claw-foot bathtub.

15. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    Tomatoes in a clawfoot tub? Ok. THAT must look AWESOME.

Sadly, I have no yard. (We REALLY want to move someday). So, I have no dirt. I'd have to go to one of the mountains or find a small forest or something to dig some up (but I'm afraid what other animals might come up behind me LOL....no really, I laugh but I'm serious LOL). I think it's one of the reasons I want to try acuaponics. I mean, I had my big planters I tried the tomatoes in, but I've used them for my trees so...oh well. I still have a some time left. ;o)

16. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah. The bathtub works really well I suppose because it's so deep. And it does look awesome.:)

I'll bet you get your yard and garden one day. And in the meantime I believe I would try the topsy-turvys. People do have luck with them.