Tomorrow Is June...still No Ac

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by cluckeyo • May 31, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    We've done a lot of work around here on trying to curb our electricity usage. We worked on it throughout last year, so this year we are having fun seeing what kind of progress we made. We put in double pane windows, ceiling insulation, weather stripping, a gable fan in the crawl space above the apartment. Interestingly enough it is now June, and we have still not come close to needing to turn on the AC. It is totally comfortable in here! We used to kind of make it through mid-May, albeit suffering. It looks like these improvements may pay for themselves pretty quickly.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's nice to see this thread because we also have some plans about being frugal with the air conditioner, that's the most when it comes to electric consumption.

Last year we toured the northernmost province of the country called Batanes. It is very rural and kind of primitive such that we saw some houses with nipa hut roof. The nipa is a kind of reed that is bunched (not woven) to serve as roofing. Based on our conversation with the natives, that nipa roofing cools the house so they feel comfortable even if they have no electricity. With that idea, my husband was thinking of getting nipa in the nearby province and placing it on top of our galvanized roof. Surely it would be cooler when the sun's rays are deflected by the nipa. However, one engineer said that the nipa naturally disintegrates because it is organic. The first issue is the dirt of the disintegrating nipa that might convert into dust and invade our surroundings. Second issue is the probability of rust to affect the galvanized sheets.

Until now that idea is still pending.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can use stand fans or cooling appliances that provide the same effect but a lesser electricity consumption in lieu of AC should the heat become unbearable. Early mornings and evenings are the coolest times of the day so there's really no need to use AC during this period. Proper ventilation actually gives more breathing room, making your home more comfy and breezy.

4. AgentD22

AgentD22New Member

Threads:
    Good for you, friend, this is better way to live. Both cheaper (on the long run) and healthier.

On a side note i've heard from a friend of mine, that some AC units might act as a breeding ground for bacteria, they tend to get in the fan blades if left unchecked and that is no good for the lungs. It's not something common but why take the chance if you can avoid it, right? Maybe it can be argued that AC units have some use but I find it that naturally ventilated buildings are more friendly to my body and soul, hehe.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we did finally bite the bullet and turn on the AC's. We are leaving them set on 78 and for the most part we are plenty comfortable. We close off rooms that we are not using. And we run the fans all the time. We had a very modest electric bill that arrived just today. Very pleased!