Too Good To Be True Offers

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by gracer • Sep 1, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone! :)

I just want to share about a shopping site which I think has a "too good to be true" offers that made me back out from trying to register as a member. It is a local shopping site in my country so I won't be naming it anymore but I'm curious to know if you have also encountered anything similar.

I was window shopping online when I came upon the site. It immediately offered a 300 Peso (equivalent to more than $6) discount coupon if I register as a member. Aside from that, I get to earn points every time I click on any of their items and 1 point is equivalent to 1 Peso (our local currency). These points can be exchanged to avail of their items. The more you click on their site, the more you get to earn points, as easy as that. If you earn a considerable amount of points, you get to avail of several of their products for free. While the site has been recommended by most blogging sites, I still find their offer kinda fishy.

So what do you guys think? Have you ever encountered anything similar before?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Would you believe that I have been getting offers through my Facebook account? What's suspicious is that the sender is unknown to me. Maybe I was tagged as a dog lover because of my posts so the spammer has been posting on my timeline some special offers mostly of dog food and accessories which are too good to be true. It is not my habit to block people in Facebook so I just let that spammer do his thing although I delete his posts on my timeline.

3. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never encountered with this kind of site. There are many local online stores in my country but none of them are offering points for clicking, cash for registration and such more. Therefore, I cannot tell whether the online store in question is fake or real. I think cash for registration is fair enough. Because the registrants will be bringing money to the site. But giving points just for clicking products sounds fishy to me.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    @Vinaya@Vinaya It really sounds fishy to me too, especially when I think of how the site would earn back the money it gives out over the points earned from just clicking their items. That is, if they ever do really change the points into cash as what they mentioned.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've stumbled into sites which promise you discounts of up to 80% on some products. While that could be true, I wouldn't trust the quality of the merchandise I could buy from such places. With digital products, odds you'll be getting a pirated copy of software or game. If you buy such software, you'll get no support should it not work and it might be next to impossible to play your pirated game online.

p.s When something sounds too good to be true you ought to leave the website you are on real fast.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The online shopping site described in the OP resembles other such sites where one is given generous offers. You will wait for the earnings to accumulate but when you want to cashout, problems begin. They give one reason after another until you either give up or you find you can no longer log in to the site. You can even be banned outright. I have never been scammed likewise but I have come across such websites.

7. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. I once bought loads of gold because some genius offered a flat 20% discount on all products on the site. It did seem to good to be true, but a quick search told me that the company had received millions in funding recently, so they must be legit because VCs don't fund fake or dubious companies. So, like I said, it depends. I am always on the lookout for an unbelievable offer. If I can vet the company out, I generally tend to place an order - why not. Also, I use a virtual mastercard, that keeps my money safe.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    There should be a catch for that kind of offer. Do you already received any payment? Or perhaps the quantity of pesos to withdraw is too high to deter you in attempting to earn by jus clicking at offers.