Too many clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by maddie • Apr 12, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever found yourself with too many clothes that you don't know what to do with them? I got a call from my friend asking me for help.. when I went there she had clothes all over her house, on the floors, the couches, everywhere. She was desperate as she had to move out of her house.Apparently it was while cleaning her closet she found that she had more clothes than she could handle. LOL it sounded and looked so funny.. I had to quickly find some charities to give some of them away.. some of those clothes I guess she had grown out of at least a few years ago.. the sizes were really small. I wondered what she was doing hoarding those clothes like that.
    Have you ever found yourself in such a predicament? Or maybe you were not so bad but have you had more clothes than you could handle?

2. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    Your friend sounds a lot like my cousin except she did not like doing laundry so she would go out and buy new clothes every time. She ends up with piles of clothes all over the house.

I have no idea what it must feel like to have too many clothes. :confused: By the time I buy new clothes for my kids and my husband, there normally isn't enough money for me. Maybe next time I will spoil myself. :eek:

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever thought I have too many clothes, but I do find myself thinking "when the heck did I wear this?" when I find something old at the back of my closet that I can't believe fit me :p I usually give them away to charities as well.

4. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I have WAAAYYY to many clothes! I keep on thinking, one day, I'll wear it. Or even it doesn't fit me today, but it will next time - it never does, but I just can't bring myself to throw anything out! I have way too many shoes, because I buy shoes that are pretty, and not practical, so they are beautiful, but then when I wear them...I suffer..

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I also have a lot of clothes but I am very good at cleaning out my closet very year or so.
    I usually just give it away to the Salvation Army or I give it away to relatives who are smaller than me. I buy good quality clothes so I don't have as much as I would if I only payed attention to quantity.

6. Rocky

RockyMember

Threads:
    haha I wish I had too many clothes!
    I often keep old clothes even if I am not wearing them until I replace them. It is a crazy system I know but I can't discard old yoga pants till I get new ones etc. I do regularly purge through my closet and donate it to charity. Normally the things I get rid of are things I should have thrown out years ago! :p

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been in that situation because I keep a small and simple wardrobe. I just buy enough clothes for my needs and get rid of anything I don't use. I used to have more clothes when I was in my teens and concerned with fashion. Now that I'm a working parent, I just buy everything in black and buy practical clothes that fit.

8. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I'd throw the sellable ones up on eBay in a lot if I didn't have time, or separately if I had some time. I'd donate the ones that wouldn't sell for more than $2.00 and try to go through to find some items of clothing I could recycle and restyle.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have too many clothes. Then I stopped buying new clothes for many years. Eventually the number of usable clothes which I own was reduced to a manageable quantity. Now all the clothes I own can fit into just one bag.

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    My friends and I conduct an annual garage sale where we sell our old clothes and other stuff that we no longer use. Instead of them gathering dust in the wardrobe or some cabinets, might as well sell them and earn money from them to buy new ones. It's just practical to it I guess that's why we came up with it. :)

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have too many clothes. There is a big pile at the bottom of my wardrobe. I really need to sell the clothes on eBay because I will not wear them as my taste has changed. Selling 20 items on eBay seems like an ordeal at the moment.

12. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I have far too many clothes. And I still buy even more. Every now and again, I give them to the charity shop, or sell them at a car boot sale. I have said that I won't buy anything else this year, and I've already broken that resolution. My niece is getting married in a couple of weeks, and I had to buy a new outfit for that. I only have two nieces, so I have to have a new outfit, don't I? That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never been in such a predicament. I don't have too much clothes.

One of my sisters had a similar problem. When I helped her move out of her condo, I found boxes of shoes that have never been worn and blouses still in the packaging. She had an eBay addiction. She would buy stuff even though she has even worn what she already had.

14. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Wow, it appears your friend should have been on the show hoarders--awesome! Personally, I haven't encountered a situation like that but I definitely wouldn't mind it. I have an obsession with clothes and shoes but I am not to the point where it has gotten out of hand--it is only a matter of time until it will get out of hand. I contrive to go shopping more because I really didn't go shopping last year as much, and I feel as though I should make up for lost times. :) I think that it was great that you helped your friend, and donated the clothes that weren't being used to charity--that's good! would have done the same thing.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Any time I have to many clothes I give them away. I can't stand to be a hoarder like some people can. I have to do that again in a little while since I feel I have to many at this point. I will give until I can't give any more and it feels good to me. I like to just reach in my closet and find things in a hurry and keep going.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sort of have the same problem now, because I just examined my closet, and I noticed that I have accumulated quite a lot of clothes through the years. Most of what I don't wear was just given to me as gifts. I guess I will just dispose of them by giving them as gifts too when some friend of mine celebrates his or her birthday or during the holidays, because those clothes still have their tags on anyway, so they really look new.

17. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Thank God that there aren't too many people like my friend. We had another lot of clothes which were lying in my house delivered to an orphanage over the weekend. I guess that she could have easily bought herself a small place.. not too fancy .. to live in instead of buying all those clothes. Most of those things we gave away were expensive stuff. We had no time to arrange a sale or anything. None of her friends were willing to spare the space to keep it until we could sort them out have them cleaned professionally and sold. I could only help her out this far. She cried bitter tears at having to give them away. I hope she has learned her lesson.

18. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    That problem appears especially when you have to move. So i have to donate or throw away the clothes that i don't need when i move.

19. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    If you looked in my two wardrobes you would find over 200 t-shirts, most of them are far too small for me but I can't throw them away because I have aspirations of one day fitting into them again! Now that I think about it I have about 50 pairs of jeans and trousers in my drawers that don't fit me anymore either. :)

20. Lee

LeeNew Member

Threads:
    I'm quite the opposite. I own three pairs of trousers, about 4 or 5 t-shirts and one jumper. I should really buy more, but I just find shopping so tedious and I would rather someone else did it for me! :p

I wish I could be bothered, as I am actually sick of wearing the same thing over and over. I guess, I really need to buy some new tops. I might go have a look today, but the idea brings me out in a cold sweat.