Toothpaste is toothpaste???

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by footballtim • Sep 8, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Toothpaste is toothpaste? That is a myth. Some toothpaste is junk as far as I am concerned. I do not care what they say about their toothpaste. Every time I use something other than Crest, I get more cavities, and my breath gets bad sooner.

Now, I only use Crest Pro Health. Nothing else works as well as far as I am concerned.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You're more perceptive than I am. I've never noticed any difference between any toothpaste brands. Seriously. Never. I did notice, however, for a brief period when I was using actual baking soda and peroxide rather than regular toothpaste, that actual baking soda and peroxide are much more potent.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I started using a gel toothpaste with a built in mouth wash. I can't remember what the brand name was back in England, but here in Spain it's called Marco Polo. My dentist was really impressed, because there was no plaque build up, and she only has to do a scale and polish about once every two years, so she recommends it. I also find it goes much further than regular toothpaste, so I'll be sticking with it.

4. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, I never really thought about quality differences in toothpaste. As far as toothpaste is concerned, I have read some articles outlining the negative effects of fluoride, but I had not considered one brand of toothpaste being superior to another. I personally like my homemade version using baking soda and coconut oil. It does not contain any harsh chemicals and it leaves my teeth feeling cleaner than some commercial brands.

5. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you about not all toothpastes being equal. After discovering Colgate's Optic White, I will never use another toothpaste again. In fact, I've given my other ones I had to my family members. I swear that this Optic White really does whiten my teeth better than any other toothpaste I've ever used.

6. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    There are some toothpastes that I like better than others. I use both Crest and Colgate, but only certain kinds. I like the Colgate baking soda and peroxide toothpaste in gel. Then I also have a Crest toothpaste as well, but I have tried out different kinds. I like to brush my teeth twice, once with Colgate and once with Crest. Funny, I know but I've done it since I got my braces off in high school so it's a habit now. I only use Listerine's Original Whitening rinse though. It's the best one I've tried. It's even supposed to kill bad breath. I believe it. The stuff doesn't taste the best, but it's awesome.

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Toothpaste is toothpaste! That is all that it is. It doesn't make any difference I think. The difference will only be on how the company promote their product or let say how they persuade people. Toothpaste is use to make you more confident talking really and not about reducing tartar or caries.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up with Crest, but I have been using Tom's of Maine or Trader Joe's generic toothpaste. They have a lot less sugar in them. I have never had any problems with foul breath or more cavities.

9. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I've stuck to Aquafresh Iso-Active (comes in two flavours, and I prefer the citrus one) ever since I first tried it. Although I've read mixed reviews as many don't like its extra foaming action, I find it has really improved my dental health. Not a great fan of their Whitening range though.

10. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    I prefer to use more healthy Toothpaste. Stuff that doesn't contain Fluoride, etc.

However, due to living in a working class family, we tend to buy whatever Toothpaste is on special. Which last time happened to be Dora the Explorer, even though I'm in my Young Adult Years...lol.
    I think it was a Colgate brand.
    Personally it doesn't really matter to me, as long as I'm not consuming to many Chemicals & it's bearable. I have a pretty healthy mouth anyhow.

11. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on this. There is a difference for sure!

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have never really noticed a difference either. I do notice that if I hate a toothpaste, though, then I don't brush nearly as well, which could end up leading to more cavities for me. I don't stick with a toothpaste like that for very long, so I wouldn't be able to test the theory.

13. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I think I'm going to try this recipe sometime. I used to use just plain baking soda, so I know that it works. I imagine the coconut oil would improve the consistency and possibly also the taste...?

14. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I personally like Tom's of Maine toothpaste. I definitely notice an overall difference and their toothpaste products usually have a unique taste to them. Out of all of the brands I've tried, I'd say each one has some solid products. I've never been able to notice a MAJOR difference between brands.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    The best thing you can brush your tooth with is baking soda. I used this as a child and I use it today. Although I had gotten away from it when I got grown but I am back at it now. The baking soda keep your teeth nice and white and it keeps your breath really fresh and once you start to use it you will see what I mean and you will never stop using it. It's cheap without chemicals.

16. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I like to save money and don't care for name brands EXCEPT in instances of hygiene. I must have a name brand deodorant, soap and toothpaste. I too only either use Crest or Colgate. They've worked the best for me for years and I haven't had any new cavities since high school days.

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I can tell the difference. I like Crest whitening toothpastes. They really get the job done. I used the Cinnamon Whitening Expressions toothpaste and that kept my teeth bright during college when I was downing tea and coffee on a daily basis. Now I use Crest 3D white and it is amazing!

18. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, adding the coconut oil results in a more gel-like substance. It is then easier to apply the paste to your toothbrush. The coconut oil also has some anti-microbial agents that help combat germs. The paste still tastes pretty salty, but it resembles more of a commercial toothpaste with its smoother texture.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just use AIM toothpaste which costs $1 and Listerine mouthwash. Even though AIM is basic, it gets the job done. I also floss, so I don't really have issues with my teeth.