Toothpaste To Bring Shine To Headlights

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by littlewitch66 • Jul 17, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I was looking through various articles online and I found a tip that has saved me money. so I thought I would share it.

My garage told me when I took my car for MOT that my headlights were dull and could be a problem next year. I found a video that showed how toothpaste (not the gel but the proper paste) works as an abrasive cream that brings them up like new. They really are sparkling now and it cost me virtually nothing.

If your headlights are dull why not try it.

2. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Yes I've seen a lot of clips on YouTube and other websites that use toothpaste for this but I've never tried it out for myself. Now that you are confirming that it works I might go and use it on some stuff to see how it works. Thanks.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know so I can tell my friends as they sometimes leave off cleaning their headlights because the washing gels they use are too pricey. Now I will let them know and have them be safe and also save money they sometimes don't even have. Thanks for the tip.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The headlights on the vehicle here are dull and could really do with some cleaning, I must thank you this revelation. I will surely be giving this method a try to see how effective It might be.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried this either; but I have also seen people doing that on some of those Facebook tips that always get spread around. Another one that they showed this week was to use Coke Zero and it totally cleaned the headlight and it was just sparkling when they were finished cleaning it. Either one sounds like something that would be good to try.
    I seldom drive at night and my headlights really need cleaning; so I will probably try one of these methods and see if it works. It is good to not have dull headlights in case I do have to drive somewhere in the dark.

6. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried this method but it didn't work for me. I have seen a video about this on YouTube and I have tried it a few months ago, it didn't work. Now someone told me to use a coca cola as the same process. I haven't tried it yet, but I will buy to see if there is an effect!

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @wallet@wallet ooh I might try that one too as I know coke can bring up a toilet sparkling clean so it might work for headlamps. Thanks for the tip. I am always looking for cheap ways to maintain my car. :)

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard a lot about toothpaste as alternatives to a lot of thing, but never anything relating to a car before. It is intriguing, but I would have to test it out first.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this tip @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 . Our public utility vehicle's headlights are getting dull as well, and need some cleaning. I'll try this instead of buying new ones which can be costly. I've used toothpaste to clean gold jewelry items and they're quire effective, in spite the warnings of some jewelry experts that toothpaste is not good for jewelries. My gold jewelry pieces are sparkling clean after gently cleaning them with toothpaste and they're still good even after years of use.

#9Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017