Toothpaste!

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Nero-Bianco • Jun 9, 2016.

1. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    Do you believe toothpaste branding claims like, whitens teeth, brightens etc? Do you think more expensive toothpaste brands are any different than the super cheap or value brands? I'm not sure... Wonder if I'm wasting my money on empty promises :confused:

2. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I recently bought an own brand toothpaste because it was cheaper and I was thinking the same thing as you. When I got it though it kept drying out and clogging up the tube, it tasted bad and didn't leave my mouth feeling clean. I'm all for buying own brand cheaper items because I think that usually you are just paying more for the brand but in this case I went back to using the more expensive ones.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy brands, but the cheaper brands. I find that own label toothpaste doesn't taste good and isn't good for cleaning your teeth really. It is, however, good for cleaning tile grout! So if you happen to have some you don't feel does a good job you can always use it as a cleaner for grout! I tend to go for brands that make my teeth feel and look cleaner, and that taste okay, rather than looking at the claims on the tube. Expensive ones, when I have tried them (eg special offer or a freebie) I haven't found that much difference personally.

4. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    Haha, great tip! At least my cheap toothpastes won't go to waste. I guess there's a difference between cheaper brands and standard brands, but little difference between standard and high end brands.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know.... Ever since they started coming out with these whitening tooth pastes I don't think I ever bought a regular one anymore. If they actually work I am not entirely sure. But they are similarly priced as the other ones, so I just use them in case they work.
    I find they prevent yellowing. Not sure how effective they are with actuall whitening

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the ingredients in toothpaste often do whiten teeth, however I don't think that there is any particular need to pay for a premium brand above other brands. I think that the bigger brands put a huge markup on their products, which means that buying them is only likely to waste money in the long term, which is clearly something that we should be avoiding if at all possible.

7. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to go for toothpaste which leaves a pleasant taste in my mouth. If a certain brand of toothpaste claims to whiten the teeth and it does not have a pleasant taste, that would not be my choice. I would prefer it to have both whitening properties as well as a pleasant taste. There is a brand of toothpaste that I buy more than any other because the price is more affordable as well as the fact that it tastes great. I am not too sure if it has great whitening properties, but it happens to be my favourite brand of toothpaste.

8. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    Toothpaste brands and their advertising are all a whole load of nonsense, ask the real dentists and not the ones bought by the toothpaste manufacturing companies. All you need to do is to remove food particles after every meal and in the morning with a simple toothbrush and water. If you want, you can use a little Sodium Bicarbonate, That is information from a true dentist who has been practicing for the pat 30 years. Don't be fooled by all this nonsensical advertising, it is all lies and more sales for them.

9. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever been to a dentist that wasn't bought by some toothpaste manufacturer. Maybe if you got a dentist out of the surgery and asked them personally they would give an honest answer, but I've never found it possible to get an honest recommendation; only what they have been sponsored to recommend.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm... Honestly, I love Colgate and buy it whenever we go grocery shopping. Recently, we tried this local brand and I feel like it doesn't clean my teeth well. I don't know... Even after brushing for 10 minutes, I still feel my breath is stinky after. It's weird because with Colgate, I feel squeaky clean even after just two minutes of brushing my teeth. So it really begs to answer the question, does toothpaste brand matter?

Well, for me, it does. Judging from my experience, I didn't feel as satisfied with the local brand of toothpaste. Is it just me though or maybe I was just used to that strong, menthol flavour? Lol. I even love trying out new flavours. I don't care much for teeth whitening variants though. But when there's new flavours, I'd be the first in line to try them.

And for me, the claims sometimes are true. I've used one variant where it claims that your breath will smell fresh for 10 hours and it was true. Although if you eat, say goodbye to that fresh breath. Lol.

11. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    I'm big coffee lover, o I just try to buy those whitening ones, also My dentist suggested me to buy toothpastes wich are ment for smokers, even If I don't smoke, because there are much more whitening effect than regular ones. Also they help to prevent tartar/calculus .