Top cities for cheapskates

Discussion in Misc & Others started by artifactsofmars • Jul 8, 2012.

1. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:

I find this list to be quite a surprise and the reason is that most of these are big cities. Generally speaking I would say that this rather odd because large cities don't tend to be cheap places to live. Many of the places cited apparently have extensive cheap or free activities that you can do. That is the one good thing that I can see.

2. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Those are some real nice places to live and who would have thought these big cities would be so cheap. I always said that Spokane would be very expensive and San Antonio but it's nice to know where they are located and what type of experience you will have if you move there. I always said those are the cold cites and maybe that is why they are cheaper to live in. I don't like to cold of weather but three seasons would be find. I also like Arizonia and that's a nice warm climate so I guess that would be alright.

3. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    That is my big thing is that I don't like the cold. I never should have come back to sunny western NY after I got out of the service but most of my kinfolk were here so I did.
    Like you I and looking at the climate of New Mexico or Arizona because the climate is warm year round and you would not even have to pay for heat.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm kind of surprised to see San Antonio on the list. That's the only one that caught me off guard, though.

I'm near St. Louis and yes, there are a lot of free things to do there. Be careful with some of the things mentioned, though. Yes, the zoo is free....but expect to pay for parking, for example, so you're not getting off completely free of charge.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with the article. It's definitely true that you cannot just factor in a few major costs to determine whether or not a place is more affordable. As the article mentions, the existence of so many things free or cheap to the public makes like much more bearable How about the people on this forum? Do you feel your area is more affordable than other places? Do you feel it's more expensive?

Of course, the article mentions the cheapest places to live in the US. I wonder what the most expensive ones are and why they cost so much.

Oh, by the way, this article is way outdated, but not by a huge margin. I'd say it still rings true to some extent.

6. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the question today is how to live cheap in the city(any city)-and some of the ways to save money is on your transportation costs-so some ways to get around though,would be to walk,ride a bike,and using public transit can be cheaper than owning a car. Other ways would be to plan your meals ahead of time also-and I think the more creative you are,the more you can save money.

#6Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017