Topsy Turvy planters

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dissn_it • May 14, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone grown tomatoes or anything else with a Topsy Turvy? I remember when they first came out they were really popular but I never did get one. They now make them for peppers, herbs, strawberries and they even have one for hummingbird flowers now. They seem to have come down in price quite a bit so I was thinking about trying one out. I know some folks make their own using buckets. Have you used a Topsy Turvy or a homemade version of one to grow anything? Are they any good? Any tips?
    Here's a link to their website that shows their product line:

2. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I know someone that uses the tomato topsy turvy planter and she loves them. The tomatoes are growing really big. I bought a couple because they were on sale at our local HEB for $1 each. We got 1 tomato and 2 peppers. If they turn out good I want the strawberries ones they sell too.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have one from last year. I haven't put the plant into the planter yet, it's in the ground right now. My lawn guy cut it down when it was just getting some flowers on it. Now that it has grown some more I think I will but the plant in the planter to keep the lawn guy from mowing it over again.

4. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I only bought one because it was on sale for 1$ at the dollar store. I was intrigued by the idea but not interested in spending the money to spend the money to figure it out.

I have the pepper planted. And so far, it's a success! Although the drought has probably cut into the productivity of the plants.

5. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    They are a novelty, for certain. Remember not to hang them too high, since you have to water them from the top. And find something very secure to hang them from - they weigh quite a bit with the soil in them, but when you add water they rapidly gain weight. A number of folks make their own planters by using a 5 gallon bucket and a drill to make the growth hole(s) in the bottom - already has a handle to hang it. Same thing...

6. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I bumped my head on a topsy turvy so I am still mad. :mad: They seem to work for a lot of people, I like my tomatoes in the ground personally. But, I have seen a few people who have beautiful tomatoes flowing out of a topsy turvy.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's two complaints that I've read about Topsy Turvy planters. One is that it's not good for the plants because the roots are baking in the sun. Another is that they can get heavy and rip a chunk of wall down when they fall. My neighbor has one and her tomato plant looks kind of sad and dried out.

8. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I had a Topsy Turvy planter, and I really liked it. I left it when we moved, but will probably get another one. They do have to be watered regularly so they don't dry out. But it's the same way with container gardening. My mom had the strawberry one and she liked it. But she has since grown her strawberry production and has a "patch" of them now.

9. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know about the ones for peppers or strawberries. I assume they are the same concept and I thank the poster for the bucket idea. Makes sense it is the same thing.