Tornado Can Opener

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ohiotom76 • May 16, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We just bought one of these recently since some members of our household cannot get our regular can openers to work at all. I was a bit skeptical at first, but this product does actually work quite well. It's a bit pricey at around $15 - $20 depending on where you get it - Dollar General has them for $15 btw - but you can end up wasting that much on a couple of regular can openers that don't do the job right themselves.

My main gripe though is that the device is battery powered, which means I will be wasting money putting fresh batteries in it on a regular basis - and it does noticeable lose power after a few days. The less power it has the slower it runs around the can, which is my other beef with it, it's pretty slow.

But for people like my mom, who cannot grip a regular can opener tightly enough and hold it steady, and turn the crank (she's in her 70's), these shortcomings are easy to overlook since otherwise it just plain works.

The other nice thing about the device is that it doesn't "cut" into a can like a regular can opener, but rather uncouples the lid from the can by breaking the seam. So you don't get any sharp metal shards that may cut you.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    $even 15 seems and awful lot for a tin opener. I know that the cheapest ones are not always effective, but I've managed to get some solid and reliable ones for £6 before. I probably wouldn't spend that much on a tin opener.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't spend a great deal on a tin opener either. In fact, the one I've had for over a decade cost £5. It just doesn't get used that much. The majority of cans I buy have a ring-pull top so an opener isn't needed.

4. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Huh, $15 seems kind of pricey for a can opener. I mean, after I open cans, I don't tend to reuse them. Even some of the manual cheap $5 to $7 ones can do the job just fine. They just require some more grunt work. I rather save the money for something else.

Still, thanks for sharing your experiences.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    $15 seem high but when you have purchased several of the cheaper ones withing a few months of each other because they broke or did not open the can and these cost as high as $9 I do not think $15 for a can opener that works is cheap. We had to replace 3 can openers before we found one that actually worked, I think it cost about $20 which had already been spent on the ones that did not work.

6. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    Is it hard to attach? I have a bad tremor too, so it's hard to twist and sometimes hard to position a manual opener. My electric opener is just a crappy things that hardly ever works. I need a decent opener and until your hands start failing you don't realize how much you'd pay for one.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with @Peachdejour@Peachdejour. I think the price is reasonable, and I am in the market for a decent one, but I want an electric one, since batteries are quite expensive, and I'd probably go through quite a few.

@ohiotom76@ohiotom76 , what would you compare the size of the unit to? I have a pretty small kitchen with very limited counter space, but I struggle with the handheld manual opener, and having something that sat on the counter might be worth even dealing with the battery issues.

Hmm, nevermind, I found in online. It looks pretty small, so it would probably fit in a drawer. Walmart has it for less than $14.50 and has free pick up when you order online. I really like the idea of no more metal shards, I am always cutting myself on cans.