Tourist Food

Discussion in Travel started by lizzief79 • Jun 22, 2015.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have recently visited Fuerteventura and was very disappointed by the eating experience there. The best thing I can say is that the meals are cheap. However, I was looking forward to sampling some local specialities. Instead, I found that the restaurants were very focused on the UK tourist market and simply served the food you would find in a pub in the UK. Do you prefer to eat the food you know when you travel or is sampling traditional cuisine all part of the expereince for you?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In lots of resorts like Cyprus, Spain and Greece, these places do the English breakfasts and classic meals because many do like them and also people tend to prefer to eat what they know. It caters to a different type of tourists, especially ones with children and it's easier to give children what they know to eat.

Lots of expats like these places too, so you have a choice. They know most self-catering holidays are people who are on a budget, so the meal deals work for them as well as happy hours.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just tried to picture myself traveling in France and tasting snails for the first time in my life and I couldn't see myself eating that meal. So unless the local specialty is something I've eaten before but [is] cooked in a different way then, I most definitely, wouldn't touch it. I'm adventurous but I've got limits. I'd order "tourist food" any time.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that a great number of Brits are not very adventurous when it comes to foreign food. You often hear of them seeking out restaurants that serve British food while on holiday. I personally prefer a mix, just in case I don't like the local food. In the first instance, I'd want to taste the local cuisine before seeking out what I'm comfortable with. But I guess we're all different.

5. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    There have been some interesting responses to this thread. I would not necessarily have wanted to eat the local cuisine all the time, I just would have liked the option to do so. There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of the food I ate while on holiday. It was all lovely. I just felt that it did not add to my holiday experience. I can see that many people prefer to eat what they know and it makes sense for the restaurants to cater to tourists.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It was similar situation when I went to Majorca a couple of years ago. There was hardly any "Spanish" food at all. In fact, the majority of the cuisine offered appeared to be German. We took a short ride to the outskirts of the town though and found plenty of traditional local establishments. It's always worth looking just that little bit further afield.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's all about business. I have a holiday home in Cyprus and most of the Brit places do well and there are local places on the same street. In Ayia Napa local cuisine would not do so well if that's all they do and as it's seasonal they offer what will bring in the money. Usually a good place would have a combination of both, but a traditional restaurant in a tourist area usually loses money, hence why they open near the locals.

8. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely want to try local food and find the most authentic places as possible when I travel. What is the point in traveling otherwise? It is to experience everything new, not to eat what you can find at home. However, I can understand if some people are not accustomed to certain types of food, it can be distressing on the body while you are traveling, so it is nice to find the cuisine of your country available to you if you need it.

9. jackob

jackobNew Member

Threads:
    I must tell you all that i'm too a very foodie person, I always love to eat food from different places, whenever i explore any of the new place. I love Italian, Chinese, Pakistan and Indian food the most. What about you guys?

Fuerteventuraid is an popular Island in Atlantic Ocean, I have not been to there, but have seen the images of that place. It does not makes me feel also good that your experience to the place was not nice, I hope that next time you'll have great time there.

#9Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  10. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I am such a good freak of traveling and I am so sure that this will be really having such a good and most appealing time as it. I would like to say that food is really a great way to make me happy. I love eating food from different places and good taste.

must be really charming to have such a good time.

11. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Tourists food experiences are part of your travel memories. It helps to give a shape and to define and memories a summary to your journey. For authentic travel experience I would love to choose sampling traditional cuisine to have my own opinion about some certain places no matter if it is bad or good.

12. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you that food experiences are an important part of travel memories. I think sampling traditional cuisine is a great way to learn about the culture and history of a place, as well as to enjoy the flavors and aromas of different dishes. I also like to try new and exotic foods that I have never tasted before, even if they are not to my liking. I believe that every food has a story behind it, and by tasting it, I can connect with the people and the place in a deeper way.