Tourists And Bargaining

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jul 1, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tourists it's assumed have a lot of money to spend [they've been saving for that holiday after all] and it's common for most people who sell stuff tourists buy to sell the stuff at relatively higher prices. Many tourists don't mind getting ripped off as long as they buy the souvenirs. But it needn't be so. When traveling somewhere and you need to buy a souvenir or anything then the fine art of bargaining can save you a little bit of money.

Don't know how it's done? Take a look:

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During our first travels abroad, we would be scrimping on expenses. For our first dinner in Hongkong, we bought dimsum on the street and had it inside the hotel. But now, my husband would always tell me that we are tourists with money to spend. And we go on vacation with a good budget all the time. In Malaysia last April, we stayed in Majestic Hotel, a 5-star hotel in Kuala Lumpur. It's really a nice feeling to spend... when you have the budget.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's definitely nice to be able to spend money isn't it. Like you, Corzhens, my OH always says that we are on holiday and that we should just enjoy ourselves any time I suggest doing something to save a little cash. I will admit though, I'm not really a fan of souvenirs. I'm happy to bring back just photographs and good memories.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I never pay full price when I go anywhere, because I know that the things that I am buying cost a lot less than what they are trying to get for them. So I will always do my best to get the price down, and if they won't put the price down I walk away. There is nothing that I want to own so much that I would go back on my own word once I started to haggle with them, and I will never buy anything unless I genuinely believe that I am getting a bargain.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, I'd say that a lot of travelers don't have that much money to spare, especially the ones that don't visit tourist traps. You can bargain for just about anything while abroad if you know where to go and who to bargain with. This is true, even in locations where prices are high for locals and tourists alike. Whenever I travel, I won't go out of my way to bargain, but it has come in handy at various times in the past.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we first traveled to Hongkong in 1994, the tour guide named Polly cautioned us when buying something particularly from the street vendors. She said that an item which is sold for 100 dollars actually costs only $25. So if you haggle with $60 and the vendor agrees, you feel good but actually you still paid high for that item. That's the way they do business in Hongkong during that time.

7. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    There's absolutely no reason for tourists to avoid bargaining. Yes, it may feel a little uncomfortable, but if it's going to save you some money, why not? And it's true - often street vendors pick out tourists and raise their prices a lot on purpose, because the tourists generally won't seem as outraged as any other person living in the country. I always bargain, and if they refuse to put the price down, I refuse to buy the product.

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Some places even have a "tourist tax" the put on food/hotel/attractions ect.
    Last place I was called it a "tourism infrastructural fee" or something and it was 3%.
    You could ask for it to be taken off, but you always got a hard time about it.

9. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    That is really a great source of fun and this will be really having such a good and most appealing time as it. I am so keen on this and would be really adorable time.