Toys R us online Christmas shopping screwed me over!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by momma2_4bratz • Dec 22, 2013.

1. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratzNew Member

Threads:
    So the last 3 Christmas's I have done 95% of my Christmas shopping online and for the most part have made out really well. I was able to search many sites to find the best prices and was even able to get free shipping on every single order I placed. Last year Toys R Us had a deal where you buy one get one free on some items among many other sales. I bought a Kachoo critter thing for about 15 bucks and was able to get one free. Any way some times they break up your order and will ship it to you in several different shipments so when the second one was not in the package I didn't worry to much. Any way it never ended up showing up after Christmas came I complained and they refunded me the money I payed so basically got the one I did receive for free . So that was one issue I had last year but it was not as bad as the issue I had this year.

This year I have again had to do all of my shopping online and had to wait until payday to get the rest of the things I needed for my kids it was cutting close to the deadline to be able to order it and still get free shipping and still have it get here on time for Christmas. So I had to spend the 300 bucks I had left for gifts that night or I would risk not getting it in time or have to pay 30 bucks for a faster shipping option. I found all the stuff I wanted to get and the best part was most of it was on sale. I had wanted to get my daughter my little pony figures and they are usually 6 bucks a piece they had them for 3.49, I found a refurbished tablet for 39.99 any way longer story short is I had spent 300 bucks and was able to get free shipping, so I payed for the order and got a confirmation email that it went through then I went to bed. Well the next day I was feeling relieved that I was able to get that order on time and that I did not have to worry about getting the rest of the presents. I did not go online all day and did not end up going online until the day after that and I went to check my email and come to find out Toys R Us sent an email saying that they were not able to complete my order as something I order was not in stock and they refunded me for the entire purchase! The whole damn thing. I was pretty pissed because they could have just deducted the thing they didn't have in stock and sent me the rest but they canceled the whole thing. So not only did I no longer have enough time to order the stuff and get it on time for Christmas but even if I wanted to pay the extra 30 bucks for the shipping there was also the fact that all of the things I got for a much cheaper deal had gone back to regular price. Some were even double what I had payed in the original order. So any way that is my review of Toys R Us. They screwed me over because their website allowed me to not only put something that was not in stock in my shopping cart but then even let me pay for it. Then who ever or how ever they handle that just assumed I would not want the other 20 items I purchased, which is pretty stupid. I did email them to complain but have not heard anything back. I wanted them to honor the prices I payed for what they did have in stock as well as cover the extra shipping charges because I was no longer able to do standard shipping. They did not reply fast enough and I just didn't have the time to wait. I was so angry and still am

2. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    You should call them up repeatedly until they resolve your matter. You can also threaten legal matters which always gets companies to pay closer attention.

Next time I would say you should just take the trip up to a few local stores. Most online deals aren't actually deals and you can find better ones in stores most of the time.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am sorry to hear about your experience with Toys R Us. Your story is a common one though in regards to online shopping. When items are out of stock or you need them sooner than two weeks, you often get a raw deal.

Your best bet is to have a plan B during holiday seasons in which you have to shop later than usual.

Also, you should contact Toys R Us again and ask for a supervisor.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had an issue with Toys R Us one year where I ordered an item online to pick it up in the store. A day after ordering, I got an email from them that the item wasn't available in the store and that my money would be refunded to my credit card in 1 to 3 business days. I went to the Toys R Us store to try an buy an alternative item and the toy that they told me wasn't available in the store for pickup was right there on the shelves.
    In fact there were several of them. That means that someone was too lazy to look on the sales floor for the toy and bring it to the pickup desk, so they decided to lie and blow me off instead.

Toys R US store pickup is different from Walmart store pickup. With Walmart store pickup, the item is shipped to the store. With Toys R US store pickup, you pay online for an item that is in stock and then they pull the item off the store shelf and hold it for you at the pickup desk. It doesn't look like they even looked for the toy before telling me to get lost.

#4Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  5. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. That would make me so frustrated. Their customer service sounds horrible. I don't understand why they didn't just not send you the one item and send you everything else you had ordered. That would have made more sense. If something is out of stock, you should not be able to put it in your cart. That is pointless and they need to fix that.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    That sucks.

Those 'pick it up at the store' deals really concern me. It feels like you are including a lot more people than necessary and through that increasing the chances of human error. I understand the use when you need something ASAP but a little planning ahead can circumvent that. I'd rather order something and have it delivered directly. Saves me more involvement than I need.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With Walmart Site to Store, the advantage of store pickup is that you get free shipping, even on big items like beds, because the item is shipped to your nearest store.
    It's great.

But Toys R Us pickup is just about reserving and prepaying for the item so that you don't have to wait in a long checkout line, which is useless if they lie and tell you that the item is not in the store and then you have to find it in the store yourself and wait 3 days for the payment you made online to be refunded.

8. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratzNew Member

Threads:
    The thing is I had absolutely no way to go shopping in a store itself this year and had I been able to get my order it would have been a really good deal and much cheaper than anywhere else I could have gone locally. We don't have a Toys R Us near where I live so spending the gas to drive there would have cost me around 40 bucks. Everything else I bought from them on other orders went well but I had gotten payed my last check before Christmas and wanted to get those dang toys!. The best part was the things I got were on sale for cheaper than walmart prices and thats usually the baseline I go by. I always cross check other stores on the things I do end up buying so that I do get the cheapest deals on what I buy. I ended up going on Amazon.com and got a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime and was able to get free 2 day shipping and got the stuff on time. It was just ridiculous for them to cancel my entire order because they didn't have ONE item I ordered. Any way I still have not really been able to speak to a person about the issue through customer service as no one seems to be available to speak to me. I did send and email to which has also not been addressed by their customer service. I did the whole pick up in store thing last year with something I bought through Walmart.com and when I went to go pick it up they had sent an email that they had refunded my money and that they were unable to fill that order. I showed up at the store and was ran around for an hour and I was telling them no I payed for it and got an email saying it was all set to be picked up by this time and I want my damn order. Any way I guess it was out of stock even though they let me pay for it and I drove down there to get it. I just need to start shopping earlier I guess. We had a good Christmas so that is all that matters.

9. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I am glad that you did have a good Christmas despite the troubles that Toys R Us has given you. I think they were totally wrong to just assume that you wouldn't want the rest of your order because one thing out of twenty was out of stock.

They should have either called you (as I'm sure you provided a phone number) to ask you about what you wanted to do about the order or they should have emailed.

Toys R Us assumed and that is something that should never be done because it never leads to good results.

10. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratzNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I did provide a current phone number and the worst part of the whole thing is they did email me but only to inform me that they were canceling the order. The least they could have done was responded to my complaint email then offered me what they did have in stock for the prices they were when I ordered them in the first place as well as covered the entire shipping cost to get it to me express mail. The shipping was free and was promised to arrive in time for Christmas on the order they canceled then when I went back to buy what they did have it said they would cover half of the 29.99 express 1 day shipping and I was like okay so I will have to cover 15 and I still lose the item you didn't have in stock. Their system never should have allowed me to put an out of stock item in my cart in the first place let alone pay for it then for them to take as long as they did to cancel the order left me no time to amend my order in time for xmax with what they did have. I got my kids a sea monkey kit from them and we opened it to put it together a few days ago the water purifier it came with which is actually salt was wet, I was sure it was not supposed to be wet but I set it up any way. Then 24 hours later we had to put the sea monkey eggs in and when I opened that foil packet it was damp inside. I was unsure if it was meant to be dry but almost sure it was. Any way we put them in there too and they have not hatched. I don't know how the sealed foil packets inside the packages got wet but they were when I got them from toys r us and I am going to call them tomorrow if I do not see any baby sea monkeys by then so they can send me a new kit. Something happened to it and it did not happen here so not too happy about that. My son got the sea monkey kit and I got my oldest a triop kit and hers hatched already and those ones are supposed to take twice as long as the sea monkeys so my son is only 5 and he is upset why his baby sea monkeys are not alive and his sisters baby triops are. Any way I hope I will actually get a hold of customer service as it is impossible to sit on hold for hours in my house with 4 kids needing my attention and no help.