Tracking Your Phone

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by djdontpay • Jan 31, 2016.

1. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    You know how sometimes people steal other people's phones? Well, you know that iPhones are easily traceable. But, do you know how to trace android and windows mobiles?

Here's how:

Android: Track your phone without installing anything - use the app

Windows Mobile:

You can track the location, ring your phone, lock it so it can't be used, and erase all of your data.

Just thought you should know.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But if plan B is an application, then that is still installing something. I don't think that people have an issue with that aspect of it though. They just want to be able to erase all of their data, and secure pictures and sensitive information in the event that their phone is lost or stolen. Thank you for this information :)

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a sim card on my iPhone so I don't think this will work for me. Does anyone have any apps that don't require the tracking of the phone to have a sim? I use a low-tech spare phone for texting. I'm still thinking about transferring my sim over to my phone since it can make my battery consumption higher.:/

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    You need a sim card in order for this to work? I did not know that. With how advanced technology is these days, surely there is a way to track and erase, and lock all data on a lost phone without needing a sim card. There should be another way to identify smartphones. I thought these phones were supposed to be smart lol.

5. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Guys, plan B does not need to be installed, it pushes software remotely onto the phone. If your phone gets stolen, and you don't have any trackers on it, plan B will PUSH its software on to the phone the moment it comes online.
    You don't need a sim for phone tracking. You need IMEI number or you need the thief to come online hopefully with the same microsoft or google account or it needs to be connected to the internet somehow.
    With iPhones too, you can track them even if they don't have a sim in them:

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks a lot for sharing, @

this is definitely worth exploring and I will certainly be sure to look into it :)

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hey. Thank you for the extra information, and for the clarification ;) I don't know if I like the idea that it puts software on my phone remotely though - or the idea that it can do that. It could push anything, and with most of these applications these days, they cannot always be trusted. I will have to look into the IMEI number.

8. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, plan B can only be installed if someone has your google credentials, which I am hoping the thief won't. But, I get your point about the perils of something remotely pushing stuff onto the phone. Still, considering that your phone would have been stolen when you use this app, at least you can protect your data, which is worth more than anything else on a person's phone.

#8Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  9. NikkiR

NikkiRMember

Threads:
    If you have a gmail account hooked up to your android phone, you can find it using google. Type 'where is my phone' into the google search bar, and it will pull up the location of your phone on a map. It will also allow you to lock your phone or delete the data on the the phone. To use this feature the GPS must be turned on on your phone. No additional software downloads are needed

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh my God. Really? I am actually going to try that now, and see if it works. That is a brilliant idea, especially if you don't have to install anything extra. Almost everybody, these days, has a gmail account, so the likelihood of being able to find your phone is a lot higher, People who steal phones these days are screwed if you can just find out where your phone is through this method.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty useful information I've got here. Many people who lose their phones don't know that tracing their phones can be very easy and even if you don't get it back locking it so the thief can't use it can be good enough. I didn't know that one can could use the Gmail account to track their phones though I did hear that Google would know where any picture was taken. Well now I know how they can do it.

Good thing is all these are free ways to track you phone. Thanks guys.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I would imagine that a lot of relationships would be destroyed with this now. When things go missing, it is often friends and family who have taken your belongings. That includes phones and stuff like tablets, so if you can track them, and you find out they are at your friend or family member's house address, then it is going to cause a lot of problems.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But at least you'll get to know who you can or can't trust. And there's also the remote possibility that if a friend or family member stole your phone you might get it back. Maybe when people know that phones they steal can tracked and locked fewer people will be interested in stealing something they won't use.

14. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely advocate some form of tracking if you have a very expensive phone, but it is definitely a security trade-off to know that you are constantly having your phone tracked by a simple program. With that said, I seriously doubt anyone cares about tracking me because I'm fairly boring, so I'm all for it.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. it is definitely a step in the right direction. But I dread to think of some of the confrontations that will take place as more people discover that they can do this, as this does not just extend to cell phones. Tablets, and other devices that can house and operate gmail accounts, would be capable of doing this. It is risky. But I would rather the option to do this exist rather than not.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this, I own an Android phone, and it's not really compatible with the tutorial, because it's an Xperia phone. I guess I ought to look for another tutorial that's compatible with my phone.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Really? I thought that if you have an android then it would be a universal method? I have a Huawei phone and it is an Android. But don't all phones and operating systems use Google? I guess the question to ask would be doesn't google track all phones?

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Oops, my bad. I didn't click on the other link, I clicked on the link where it was about Nokia Lumia, lol. I did notice that it only supports Android 2.0+, so Android phones that are higher aren't supported.

19. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing the link! This will definitely come in handy!

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    I like that they are doing it through Google, because that means that it is free, and that you don't have to go to google play store and spend money on an application that will do the same job for you. I don't even think it is an android thing at this point. I think that if you have a google account, you can track your phone for free.