Trader Joe's Coffee

Discussion in Product Reviews started by biron • Feb 28, 2015.

1. biron

bironNew Member

Threads:
    Any coffee snobs out there? While I don't consider myself a 'card-carrying' member of the coffee elite, I do prefer a "better" coffee experience. Within the last few years, I discovered that Trader Joe's offers a decent variety of quality, whole bean coffees. My wife and I have really enjoyed their dark and ultra dark roasts.

Anyone else tried Trader Joe's brand? What is your favorite? Any discerning coffee drinkers out there with recommendations?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    My neighbor swears by Trader Joe's New Mexico Pinion coffee. She says it's bold yet smooth and the best coffee she's ever had. I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a try!

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:

mentioned an expensive coffee brewed with beans that have been 'passed' (swallowed & excreted) by civit cats, and Jack (among other celebrities) took that idea and modified it---opening a coffee-shop that sold coffee brewed with beans he himself had 'passed' :oops:

Is 'passed' coffee better than standard?

4. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Near Christmas they have a blend I like, I can't remember it's name though. It has clove and orange flavors or something. One year I couldn't get enough of it, then the next year I felt they had changed the mix and it wasn't as good. I haven't tried any of their others as they really are quite expensive. We love flavored coffees and rarely drink plain coffee anymore. But the flavored ones are always more expensive, so I'm always one the look out for a deal, which I can rarely find at Trader Joe's!

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried a Trader Joe's coffee once when someone in the company I worked at bought it, but I can't remember the name. Maybe it was an Italian or French roast, as those were our favorites. But it was good. Nothing special, but not worse than a Keurig coffee.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I am a coffee fiend, and therefore love all kinds of flavors and varieties, but I can't recommend any particular brand right now. Since I'm into coffee, I tend to drink so much of it that all flavors seem like my favorite right now. I haven't been very picky lately. If it's hot and it's strong, I'm there.

7. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I love to drink coffee every morning and during my overtime but I never buy them at Trader Joe's. In fact, I rarely ever buy from them because they are not worth it from my opinion. I have tasted their coffees when I went to my friend's house who is a Trader Joe's customers. Judging from that experience alone, I don't think I want to spend a little extra money for coffee that I don't even think taste better than my regular instant coffee. I prefer instant coffee, very convenient and cheap.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a coffee snob, I don't think. Mostly because I practically turn it white every time I drink it, haha. I did once get coffee from Trader Joes, that ending smelling like garbage. I swear to good, it was so bad, I had to give away to someone else. I got a different type of coffee from Trader Joes the next time, and it tasted MUCH better. If you can ever afford it, get Hawaiian coffee! Hawaiian is generally the best tasting coffee ever, but it will ruin you for anything else.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never bought a bag of their coffee or coffee beans. I think the only times I've ever had their coffee was in those little paper sample cups they would be passing out along with some desert they were sampling. It wasn't really enough for me to say whether I liked it or not, but I may have to give it a try next time I am in there.

The Trader Joes near me is always jam packed, so it's a bit of an ordeal getting in and out of there - I usually go in with some specific items in mind, and grab them and get out, lol.

Are their beans priced reasonably compared to something like, Seattle's Best? (which is what I would usually buy).

10. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to not buy my coffee at Trader Joe's (though I do love Trader Joe's in general). I buy my coffee at Safeway and sometimes, if I really want to splurge, I buy it at a local coffee shop where they grind it fresh on site.

I may have to do some price comparison though, and if it's cheaper to get coffee at Trader Joe's I may try doing that sometime. Good thing I live so close to one!

11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Not really impressed with Trader Joe's in general or their products. To me its kind of like a cheap knock off of The Fresh Market and Whole Foods. The coffee just doesnt have enough zip for me. Usually I buy Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts coffee.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of Trader Joe's ; but I have never tried any of their coffee. Recently, I learned about a coffee company called "Coffee Fool", and they sell on Amazon, as well as on their website.
    I have been ordering mine from Amazon as they have clearance sales on there, and you can get the coffee at 1/3 to 1/2 of the regular price it sells for.
    The coffee is truly exceptional, and they carry all kinds of regular roasted coffee, plus the flavored coffees, which I dearly love !
    The latest one that I have been trying is called Blueberry Cinnamon, which sounded a little like a strange combination to me at first; but it turned out to be absolutely delicious.

Amazon carries the close-out coffees as an add-on item because they are so cheap; so what I do is look through and see which flavors are on clearance whenever i am making a regular order on Amazon, and then I add on one or two coffees as an addition to my order.

13. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it's all the same product; some people just feel they fit better in a company of their own (and quality-over-economy shoppers feel they're worth it), but the franchises are the best example of Capitalism (which makes use of worldwide operations at local, low prices);)

14. Determined2014

Determined2014New Member

Threads:
    Never heard of that trend yet, but I do hope it can catch up, because how many people do you think are thinking the same way that you are, if there are many people thinking that way, then they are going to loose out, meaning they need to step up their game.