Trader Joe's Is Owned By Aldi

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Nov 18, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As Aldi are currently expanding in the US and their products (own brand to skip the middle man) are winning awards in Europe and coming out top in taste tests, I wonder how many of these are also Trader Joe products?

It makes sense as they are owned by the same company that they use the same manufacturers, but while Trader Joe's looks trendy, Aldi is seen as for budget and low income families. The products may well be the same, just with another label, and Aldi maybe cheaper.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I never knew about Aldi and I can't wait to see what they bring to the US. Fresh and Easy just closed down around here and I am ready for another market to come into the game. I just want one that has great produce. Is that too much to ask for? Some bulk bins would be cool too!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Initially Aldi's image has been pretty low and dire, but due to the recession and middle class shoppers going there, the image has gotten better. They never spent money on PR, but now they do in the UK and most people do choose to go to Aldi for quality as well as prices.

I like Trader Joe's and the concept is not similar, except Trader Joe's has organic and gluten free ranges too, as well as wine stores. They had a better brand image, but it goes to show sometimes marketing does make a difference to how to shop and perceive products.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you sure Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi? I never heard that before, but it could be a recent acquistion. I think they do appeal to a different group of shoppers, but some people shop at both. I know I do. I haven't been to Trader Joe's for awhile though, as there is never any place to park there. Never go there on a Saturday, you will for sure...have a long ways to walk to the store if you do unless you get their first thing in the morning maybe.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apparently it's been owned by Aldi since 1979; "Trader Joe's was founded by

and has been owned since 1979 by a German family

established by

's owner

Since profits have been rising more stores have been opened. I like to shop at both, but they do target different shoppers. The Trader Joe's in New York are always busy, I wonder if they would be as buy if they were re-branded with an Aldi sign?

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know why, but I always thought Trader Joe's was owned by Whole Foods. I guess that explains why Trader Joe's isn't nearby, although there is one small Aldi's across from my Walmart. That's still farther away than several other grocery shops, and the one time I went, the line was way too long, so I left. Hopefully Aldi's will catch on here, and they'll put one closer to where I live, because I (and many of my neighbors) could sure stand to save some money on groceries.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha probably not Theo. Now that would be an interesting experiment, branding TJ's with an Aldi's sign. Trader Joe's certainly does carry different products, and I have seen little crossover between the two. I think learning this, is my "you learn something new everyday item." I will tell people.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've only been in an Aldi's one time, when I was curious to see what they had. I hadn't realized they weren't a full service grocery store, and as I said, the line was way too long for me to hang around and wait to get checked out. I receive their flyer in the mail weekly though, and have noticed that they seem to have really great prices on produce. They also had some other items I'd be happy to buy if my income ever picks up. They seem to have good deals on small appliances and other kitchen and home gadgets, as well.

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I had no idea that they were owned by the same company. Now that you mention it though it makes sense. I know there are a good amount of Trader Joe's in the cities by me, but once you move to the suburbs and rural areas there are more Aldi's.

10. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    I didn't know that. I lubs Aldi's, go there multiple times a week. I try not to go when I'm hungry because I will buy up the entire baked goods section. LOL. I love that their selection changes so frequently and the deals can't be beat. I got a few jugs of Tide once for like $3 each. TIDE! I was super excited about that one. :p All of their produce is just as good as the name brand stuff, so I guess it kind of makes sense that both stores are owned by the same company. I've never been to Trader Joe's, but I know people love it.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When Aldi's first came to our area it was to one of the lower income areas and was marketed as a cheap place to get food. Now it is in more areas and higher income areas which gives the store a better image. I like shopping there although the store does not have a complete line of some of the things I normally purchase. It is necessary to go to a larger chain to purchase a items not stocked at Aldi's.
    The snack section is great and affordable. The price of milk is lower at Aldi's than any other store in our area.

12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Who doesn't like a store that saves you money? It's nice to see mr/ms money bags finally coming around to shop at Aldi along with the rest of us. There are some good snacks as Aldi except for a few of them. But you can always go for the fruits and vegetables. Aldi could use better advertising anyway.