Trader Joe's - Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Sunshine • Jan 20, 2015.

1. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I have a love hate relationship with Trader Joe's. I really love all the variety of interesting products they have. I could spend hours looking over their different products, they are all new and interesting to me. But then I can't - because the store is always so packed and it always seems someone is behind me waiting for me to get out of the way... it drives me nuts!

Then I pay. I am always shocked at the bill. It is outrageously expensive. Perhaps some may not think so, but I am an Aldi shopper where I can get a week's groceries for under $50.

Then I get home, try all the food. It's good, ok. But nothing amazing. I'm not thrilled. Then I say I'll never go back and waste so much money there. But a month later I'll forget about all that and the place will draw me back in.

How about you? What do you like and dislike about Trader Joe's?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I hate that some items are removed without warning, no matter how long it has been on the shelves. Last week I wanted some cookies I'd been buying for almost 20 years. I didn't see them in Dallas, where I visited over the holidays. When I got back home to L.A., I checked two stores and they were history. I also hate that not all stores carry the same products.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Trader Joe's, it's cheaper than Wholefoods but more expensive than the supermarket, so a good in-between. There is more choice and their own brand is always good quality. You can't do a full shop there, but you can definitely do the bulk of it or use it to top up with special items.

As I am on a budget, I only buy things that I can't get anywhere else, or I know they are good value for money. One day perhaps I can shop without having to check the price first.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Trader Joe's too. I really don't find their products I more expensive than conventional stores. I have been shopping at Trader Joe's for decades so I am used to their prices. Trader Joe's is definitely cheaper than Whole Foods and Sprouts Farmers Market.

I don't like the fact that they discontinue products too. Three of my favorite products have disappeared this year. It's very annoying.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I like Trader Joe's but I am not one of those giant, Oh-my-goodness-you-have-to-go-there fangirls of the store. My experience is much like the OPs, the store is always so crowded no matter what time of day I go. I feel like I can't take my time and really look at the items and make decisions. But, on the other hand, there are a couple products of theirs that I love. I don't go out of my way to go to Trader Joe's, but when I'm in the neighborhood and have some spare time I'll run in and grab a few things.

6. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I do like Trader Joe's but don't get a chance to go there very often. We don't have this grocery store in Canada so I have to cross the border to shop there, which I do on occasion.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really love Trader Joe's! True, it's not the place to go to buy everything you need, however they have amazing healthy food. I find that they're a little expensive, however I don't find that they are outrageously expensive like Whole foods for example! Also, their frozen food is the best you can find at a supermarket, I have never found anywhere else with such good quality frozen food as trader Joe's.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    See, as someone who has been buying organic food her whole life, Trader Joe's is CHEAP. Compared to (some) stuff at Whole Foods and a lot of privately owned Health Food stores, Trader Joe's is generally the cheapest Organic/Natural food store around! I once found a box of crackers at TJ's for 3 something, that was SEVEN FREAKING DOLLARS at my local health food store! Buying organic isn't for everyone, due to the prices. But hopefull as buying organic food because more and more common, the prices will slowly go down. At best, buy all your veggies/fruits and dairy organic, and everything else conventional. Veggies, fruits, and dairy are the three foods most affected by chemicals and the foods that soak chemicals the most.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. What are some of you buying at Trader Joe's? o_O

I've always found them to be cheaper and in many ways, much cheaper than regular grocery stores. For years, they were the cheapest place to buy a gallon of milk and it wasn't until recently that they raised the prices on their meat and bacon. Even the packaged foods are really well priced in comparison to regular stores.

10. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I love Trader Joes, when I buy the same items at wholefoods it is double the price, so it is well worth shopping there for me. They also have a few unique items that I can only find there or it just tastes better from there brands. I agree that it is annoying when they stop carrying certain items. I grow to like it and suddenly no more. That is because they try out different things and if it doesn't do well they stop carrying it. It makes good business sense.

11. biron

bironNew Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with everyone that has suggested shopping for the "special" items. Trader Joe's seems to have some absolutely amazing deals and some absurdly overpriced items as well. I think the difference is in what you find value. For those that are looking for a high quality, organic, fair trade product and don't mind spending extra for that item, a $10 banana may not be that big of a deal (exaggeration + arrested development reference). If you are looking to stock up on all of your groceries AND get a great bargain, you probably will not be successful. But if you look for it, there is a lot of value to be found.

Separately, every Trader Joe's I have been in has been such a pleasant experience. My boys love hunting for the stuffed animal. The one closest to us has a frog, but the one in Spokane has a Sasquatch! Apparently each store has its own unique stuffed animals for the kids to hunt for. They get a lollipop (sucker) from a treasure chest if they find it. I still don't understand the bells, and I think the whole ship theme may be a little overplayed, but it makes the experience unique and I love going in - even if it is just to pick up a few cans of coffee and a few bottles of 2 Buck Chuck!

12. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Trader Joe's is my favorite grocery store and I make a weekly visit there. I find that some of their products are actually cheaper than at my normal grocery store. I save on wine, gourmet cheeses, and chips there. Some items, such as meat are very expensive and I avoid purchasing them at this store. They always have a unique variety of snacks and veggies to choose from, so I would cry if they were to ever go out of business.

13. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    What I like about trader joe is the fact that they have a little bit for everybody. Weather your vegetarian, vegan or looking for healthier options. I would say there are the bridge between your regular grocery store and Whole-foods. I do agree that trader Joe's in my area is always packed.

14. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I love Trader Joes. I think they have such a unique selection of food products and the prices are very reasonable. I also think the quality and freshness of food is unlike many other stores. One of the biggest issues with Trader Joes is that is is always crowded. The lines are sometimes out of the door.

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a fan it trader joes, but I definitely see what you are saying that's it's too crowded. The city locations are the most crowded that the line often weaves through out the store. I like it for its frozen and premade food. I think they have a great variety and is pretty reasonable. I also like their selection of fresh vegetables and fruits. They also offer a large selection of chips and salsa which is my favorite.

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of Trader Joes; but we do not have one here, even though it is a fairly large city. The closest one to us would be about 100 miles away, in either Nashville, or Birmingham.
    We do have a Whole Foods and one called Earthfare. I looked at Whole foods, and the prices are sky-high crazy ! Just a plain onld chicken was $10 per lb, for heaven's sake.
    I do like Earthfare. They are expensive also; but they have a different selection of items than most regular stores have, and are somewhere in between a grocery store and a health food store.
    We are not very close to Earthfare, so I don't go there very often; but I enjoy shopping there when we do get out that direction.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do enjoy Trader Joe's and I like to go there, but like everyone has said, it is always crowded, and sometimes difficult to find a parking place nearby. I do like alot of their unique products, and they for sure are cheaper than Whole Fpods..but for a weeks groceries you are still going to end up paying more for them than a conventional grocery store. They have their appeal though, real estate near a Trader Joe's is higher in price, than those far from them. It is a known fact.

18. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Trader Joe's is a yay for me. I absolutely love that store and all of the employees who work there. They are always so helpful and kind. Most items are really inexpensive, although the meat items are overpriced. The quality of food you get there is much better than most of the mainstream grocery stores and they have a lot of unique products.