Transcendence

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Peninha • Jul 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Has anyone watched the movie Transcendence with Johny Depp? It's not a mind blower, far from it, but it's an entertaining movie that I can recommend. The story is about uploading the brain of a scientist into a computer so he really get super smart there, a futuristic scene that is unlikely to happen in reality of course. Anyone seen it?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't recommend Transcendence at all. That movie was terrible, and I wish I hadn't seen it in theaters. I like Johnny Depp, but his movies have lately been pretty lackluster, and this one was no exception, even as mindless fun. The movie dragged on and didn't actually make enough sense to be even mildly entertaining. I could think of about 100 other movies that you should see instead of this one.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoyed it, but not too much. I don't agree that the movie drags on, I mean, it's not a fast paced movie, but at the same time it develops at it's own rhythm and the story is well told. I am not even a huge fan of Johny Depp, but I think he's well in this movie, I'd give it 6.0 maybe. ;)

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't seen it yet. Thank you for mentioning it. I think Johnny Depp went into a lot of bad movies in recent times, but that's just my opinion. Either he can't get any good roles any more, or his interests have shifted and his focus is not on his career as an actor anymore.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Transcendence was almost "Too Transcendent"

Honestly, I am a lover of movies, and of creatively ingenious movies, but when moviemakers decide to reach "so far into the sky" so as to "transcend" the movies of old, I think we, the viewers, eventually become lost in this "far and distant world" that has been created as a result.
    I genuinely applaud the effort that screenmakers are proffering when it comes to putting a mysterious plot out there, with intriguing suspense, Flashback technique, and the employment of serious, method actors.
    But, when the line between what can conceivably be seen as happening even by the furthest stretch of the imagination, and the absolute imperceptible is crossed, that, I believe, is where my ability to appreciate that movie's development, starts to dwindle.
    I commend the makers of "Transcendence": they came up with an unconventional and not-so-predictable plot, and made use of the great Johnny Depp! But, I found it hard, after a while, to truly grasp how certain parts of the plot fit in with the rest of the movie.
    The start was great for me: it featured a man in a world that no longer saw the use for technology, he being the one narrating the story from 3rd person perspective, as he plants three sunflowers, apparently in memory of someone; then it flashes back to Johnny D and his wife, both being scientific researchers, and then, the plot rapidly goes to what seems to be a plan to undermine his mission to experiment on people, then he dies, then he's in a computer, then his wife is basically "Skyping him from the dead", and then we're here!
    Okay, this was quite a haphazard way to describe the details of the plot, but that's basically where "Transcendence" left me: in a random "haphazard-ness", where I no longer understood my right ear from my left.
    I just believe that a balance needs to be struck with moviemakers, between a good, intriguing and out-of-this-world plot, and a plot that is so out-of-this-world that you've left your audience more baffled than awestruck.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, good comment there Advice, some passages made me laugh, but let's face it, that is why they call it fiction. They may or not related it to reality and I agree that there are strange parts of the movie, too slow maybe, but at the same time it's an interesting story, not for everyone though.