Transfering data

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Jan 9, 2015.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lately I've been saving some data from my pen drive to my external disk, bypassing the computer, but to be honest since I've started doing that some files don't pass correctly or get corrupted. Does this make any sense, no reason why the files should go to the computer first right?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There shouldn't be any problem unless an interruption of the copying for some reason causes the file to be incompletely written on the external disk. If that's the reason then the problem isn't the process of transferring from one removable storage device to another but the complications that arise in-between.

Why not just save the files on your PC first then move them to your external drive? It will take longer, yeah, but at least you'll get to find out if it's the Hard Drive that has some issues.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I tried doing the same thing only to make more room I compressed all the files. I wish now I had not done that because the files ended up being corrupted afterwards when I tried to re-open them. I'm not saying that was the reason, but maybe it was too much work for the hard drive to compress that much data. Now one of them has been fixed and our files were able to be saved but when I need to search for something, none of the icons show the picture's because its compressed. This means that I have to open each item at a time and cannot just hit 'next' to see the next photo. Its alot of work and I end up not looking for my item at all. Which in that case, why do I even have the drive? So I guess this post is just to say I feel your pain - yes I have come across a similar problem and I have not yet found a way to fix it. But I will not be compressing all my files to save room ever again.

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I guess your external hard drive is corrupted since there's absolutely nothing wrong with saving your files on your external hard drive first rather than moving the files from your computer. You could have your hard drive checked if it has a virus that's corrupting your files or maybe its internal parts are already busted. In any case, saving data on your hard drive is normal and I do it often so as not to fill my laptop with unnecessary files.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Are they files that are to be read by a computer?

I don't know the technical specifics, so the best I can do is 'a simile' (comparison with another set of conditions): could it be 'like' ('similar to,' how I remember it's a 'simile') 'distributing Holy Bibles from the churches to the people'? You remember how

(and/or

, I forget who) fought against the church-practice of only reprinting the Bible in Latin rather than -in the language of the people? (P.S. it was Martin Luther ... the first 'Gutenberg Bible' was still in Latin)

Do you consider the files 'corrupted' if your computer cannot 'read the programming in them'?

Another 'simile' (I was reminded-of while searching on that last one) is from the story about

---when all the people spoke the same language, they thought they could build a 'tower to Heaven'; but when their languages were confused, the tower was 'corrupted!'

6. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    There is no reason why you should copy your files to the computer first, you have to understand how a computer works when it copies files to the internal hard drive where your operating system dwells, it's just a hard drive similar to the architect of the external hard drive you have, there is no different between your external hard drive and you're in eternal our drive where your operating system dwells. Therefore copying to your external hard drive shouldn't cause a problem, maybe try not to run programs while you're copying your data. It could also be that the file you are copying is corrupt to begin with, otherwise your external drive might be corrupt.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like one of your devices is damaged, or the files that you're transferring are corrupt themselves. Those are the only two explanations for the issues you're experiencing. I'd recommend trying another external drive with the pen drive or vice versa to determine what's going on. You could even check the files on the computer to make sure that they actually open and execute properly. Otherwise, you're going to have an endless cycle of something damaging the files through one mean or another.