Transition to Vegetarianism

Discussion in Food & Drink started by May102014 • Oct 27, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    What was your transition into vegetarianism like? Currently, I call myself a Pescetarian. I only eat fish and I still consume dairy products like eggs and cheese. I hope by the end of 2015 I will be a full vegetarian without consuming fish at all. My transition was very easy. I wasn't much of a big meat eater and often times went days without consuming any meat. For anyone who is a vegan or vegetarian, how easy or difficult was it for you to make changes in your eating habits?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have eaten a basically vegetarian diet for a short amount of time due to not having enough money to buy meat or not having access to meat that was cooked in a way that is safe for me to eat (ie, it was in gravy that probably had msg, which I can't have ect) It did not work out for me at all. I was taking a mult vitamin to hopefully not end up with deficiencies, but there is something about the type of protein that you can only get through meat that my body ends up craving. I would keep getting this vague feeling of hunger and nothing would satisfy me, not matter how much I ate until I finally got some meat and then I was satisfied immediately.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat meat. But I still eat fish and other edible water creatures like shrimps and squids. So I couldn't yet call myself a strict vegetarian. I am also a pescetarian, if I only I want to be recognized and be labelled for not abstaining meat and other animals like chicken and the rest of the mammals. As of now, I don't have plans yet to turn myself into a strict vegetarian. It's not that I can't, but it would be harder and would surely consume a lot of time and thinking. I couldn't think of it yet and also, I couldn't reserve a time for planning my meals and deciding for alternatives. For now I am enjoying my being pescetarian which I started the first day of the year, January 1, 2014.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been vegetarian for nearly 30 years and it can be easy, as long as you are aware of your diet. These days it's easier to find vegetarian dishes and with labels you can check if the ingredients are in line with your principles. Some people are stricter than others, but it is your preference that matters. Fish was the last thing I gave up. Being vegan wasn't practical for social events or for work, and as I like eggs, I have vegan days instead.

Checking labels and balancing protein sources are the main things which are second nature to me now.

5. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I maintain an omnivore eating style and eat both meat and vegetables in heaps. However, I've often thought about switching to just consuming vegetables, weighing what the possible benefits and/or drawbacks I would have doing that. I could probably attempt it for awhile but there are many meats I get my good protein from that I'd quickly miss and relapse back into my normal eating habit.

6. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I have been vegetarian for over 20 years. It is so much easier to eat a vegetarian diet now than it was when I quit eating meat. My advice would be to load up on vegetarian foods you love at first, so you don't feel deprived. The hardest part is not giving up meat. You will find that being vegetarian actually opens you up to more types of food. I never had Indian food or Thai before I quit eating meat.

The hardest part is explaining your choices to others. You will do fine in restaurants. Before attending weddings, banquets, picnics, or potlucks you will need to pre-eat and plan your argument for being a vegetarian. I now handle it as nonchalantly as possible, and say something along the lines of "it's just not my thing." If other people want to convert, they will find their way just as you did. There's no need to google slaughterhouse photos, even though you will probably be a little militant in the early stages.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was going to suggest that. Or something worse. Find a vid of halal slaughter and you'd think twice about eating meat when you see the animal twitch about in agony as it's throat is sliced.

Anyway, the easy way to transition is by replacing meat with beans. Find recipes and try cooking your beans in different ways. When you find what works best for you, since beans are more delicious, it would be easier to cut out meat entirely from your diet.

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a vegetarian, but I eat more and more vegetables these days because I know that they are healthier for me. As for an absolute change, I don't think I am going to make it because I like meat and I think it doesn't do me any harm, on the contrary.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don’t find people ask why anymore, it's very much accepted ss people with cholesterol issues and diabetes have switched to a more vegetarian diet. I never explain why or try to convert. Vegans are harder as some find vegetarians as cop outs, but they tend to be vegans beyond health reasons and are not as tolerant as vegetarians.

10. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I am vegan and have been for 20 years. The transition was not difficult for me at all. I went from being a vegetarian to being a vegan within one month and have not looked back since. I don't miss meat or any other animal products. I originally went vegan for spiritual purposes, but quickly learned about the health benefits as well. You can get all the protein that your body needs from beans and legumes, such as lentils. Veganism is starting to gain popularity here in Ghana.

11. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    Look at my post in Vegan Ethics about eggs. Dairy, we are not cows. The calf gains how many tons the first year? The milk is designed for the calf to stay close to the mother. This is why people get so crazy about dairy. Just remember we are not cows and we don't need to be as big as one.
    Add lots of potatoes and wild rice or something for dinner. This will fill you up. Make sure you actually eat enough. When you are full on the right things you will not want anything else. A ton of fruit, it is actually unlimited amounts a day.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My transition to veganism was extremely easy once I looked into the health benefits. I read every study I could and even though many conflict (as all food studies do), I found the ones in favour of dropping meat to be more thorough and convincing. I was thrilled, because eating meat always made me sad.. once I figured out the health aspect, I found out the true extent of what the animals are put through, *especially fish*.. the transition was complete. It was literally overnight.

Cheese was my weakness, now I don't have even the slightest craving when I see it. It just looks like sadness and pain to me now.. I no longer disconnect my food from it's big eyed, fuzzy source. Sounds dramatic lol, but it's the truth. If we all had to do these things with our own hands, would we still eat meat or dairy? If we can live healthfully without hurting others, why wouldn't we? No matter how far you're going though, you're saving lives. That's awesome! Good luck with your transition.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried going vegetarian or at least pescetarian numerous times over the past 10 years or so, but with little luck. At most, I will make it about a week or so, then end up giving in due to a variety of reasons. It may be I was having a stressful day and was hungry, and said "screw it" and got a hamburger, or perhaps I had meat items still in my fridge/freezer that I did not want to go to waste with my new-found attempt at vegetarianism, or I just got fed up spending so much on extra ingredients to make the veggies more satisfying that I was sometimes spending even more, not less, as a result of giving up meat.

One of the first drawbacks I suffer from is I find myself quickly gravitating towards lots of cheese, mayo, butter, and other unhealthy stuff to make up for the lack of satisfaction and fullness I get from eating meats. I also find myself consuming a lot more breads and pasta too - which in large amounts isn't necessarily healthy either.

The other issue is that even though it may seem that going all veggie would be cheaper - in most cases to make a meal, I would be buying several different veggies in lieu of one pack of meat - which can easily cost more than that pack of meat did. By the time I purchase a head of bok choy, some red bell peppers, a carton of mushrooms, and some onions to make a stir fry, of which I will be using up most of these ingredients just for one meal, that's already over $8-$10 if not more - where as a pack of chicken thighs would have cost me about $5 and would be enough for three meals. I could even get a large pork roast for $6, which similarly would be enough for 3 meals.

Greens can also be somewhat expensive when you consider they cook down to nearly nothing and are often just enough for one meal. When I buy a large head of escarole and cook it down and saute it, there's only enough for about 2 portions when I'm done.

14. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    This is interesting what you are saying. I've learned that you have to eat large amounts of certain things in order to side step cravings for the wrong things.
    The dairy trap. Yes that is a tough one. I know. Again if you fill up on the right things. You can eat a whole package of a gluten free pasta. Lol, you will feel like you will bust but it is better for you than the dairy. The milk is designed for the baby calf. Just remember we are not cows and it is not healthy.
    The cost thing I get too. You just have to weigh out the health issues first. You can eat two pounds of potatoes every night if you want. Sweet potatoes or whatever. They are cheap.
    Now see the real trick is eating as much food as you can during the day. This really kills cravings at night. If I am feeling really more hungry than normal. I stuff myself with bananas or watermelon. This is fairly inexpensive too.
    Just keep it simple. Chicken thighs that cost $5?? Three meals full of hormones, steroids, and meat glue. It also has animal bi-products. Which is; ground up bones, intestines, livers, eyeballs, testicles, and who knows what else!!!!!! shall I go on? The chicken is also fed corn and who knows what else. Corn is one of the biggest GMO's which is fake food. This is what you get for your $5.

15. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Eh, I've been mostly vegetarian since a bit more than two months. I say mostly because, like @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 I had meat still in my fridge, or brought in my fridge by my stepmother who owns a restaurant and sometimes brings her leftovers instead of throwing them away; and when my bf did not eat something and it was going to be wasted, I sometimes took it for myself.

I guess the difference is that, even if sometimes I "broke" my vegetarian streak or something, I just went back to it. I had cravings in the beginning and ignored them all (the few times I had meat was after a month and a half or so, after I was pretty confident in my self-control and all). And then it became much easier. I used to love meat a LOT. And I was(am?) darn good at cooking it! But vegetarian also tastes amazing -- though after a month of veggies and beans and eggs and all, I started to need something new, so I bought some "meat alternatives". Lately, I've had seitan medaillons. The first one, I was kind of more shocked than anything at how much it tasted and felt like meat! Seriously, I was almost uncomfortable eating it. But then I had it again and it was delicious. But it's expensive, unless it's made at home...

Basically, I'm happy with it. My digestion goes better -- I used to have belly pains every now and then when I still ate meat. I think I had them just once since I made my switch, and it might have been because of too much dairy. It is much cheaper, and the meat alternatives I go for always feel like a bit of a "reward" (because they're not exactly cheap for the quantity!) and, at this stage, they're still quite an adventure in discovering the different things.

I also discovered that my tastes can change a lot. I am now a big fan of lentils and beans, when before I was not so warm about them. I love hummus; I used to hate it. And tofu! I used to think it was the weirdest thing. Now, I know how to cook it and it's amazing. I keep discovering new recipes. And changing my old ones, the recipes of my mom and other people too, to make it vegetarian and figure out how to reproduce the tastes. My vegetarian chili is a-ma-zing, and I don't even have to fork over the money for nice beef! So if nothing else, I'd recommend it for the culinary adventure/challenge. It really opens up your horizons and your mind. Even if I stopped caring about the reasons why I cut out meat (or being apathetic enough to just reason away eating it), I'd still go for vegetarian most of the times. It just... feels good.

And now I've made myself hungry. I'm craving seitan!

16. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am no longer a vegetarian though I have been in the past. I actually eat very little meat in my diet anyway. I suggest taking it slowly and eliminating parts of your diet gradually. Also, make sure that you are still getting enough of the right food groups on a daily basis. If you have a health condition that is affected by the food you eat, such as diabetes, you should really see a doctor before making significant and drastic changes to your diet. Becoming a vegetarian isn't actually as hard as many people think and it makes you more creative with your cooking. Becoming vegan is much more difficult and would have a greater impact on your life.