Travel by train

Discussion in Travel started by MrsJones • Dec 11, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    What is it like to travel by train? Is it on an average, expensive? Comfortable? Are they ever overcrowded with passengers? What are the lavatories like? Does the train make layovers so that you can browse around a bit? Is the food good? Have you ever been disappointed and why? What's the shortest or longest trip that you've taken?

I ask these questions because I would like to take a trip on a train just for the experience. Everyone I know travels by plane or does road trips. I like to hear of someone's experiences, especially if it was your first trip on a train.

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I only have experience with small suburban trains, so I guess that's not the experience you're talking about, the longest trip my train does is about 2 hours from end to end, and there's really no layover or even lavatories I think.
    But other than that it's extremely comfortable and affordable.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I have experienced travelling by train but it was only a short trip, like 2 hours. I was on a high velocity train which runs up to 360kph. The trip was okay, not crowded and very comfortable. There was no layover and the lavatories is a bit tight, just like the one you saw in a plane. The price is okay, it is worth the trip and the experience.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy travelling on train on any given day. The best part about travelling on train is it moves really constant. You can sleep on the train and still not feel uncomfortable. It is also the cheapest mode of travelling.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose it varies immensely from country to country. For instance I tried riding Japan's bullet train, it was a really comfortable experience. In contrast riding the subway in China and Australia was much less comfortable, the crowds were quite bad there.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    In the U.S.A., the train rides here are good overall, being that it is not overcrowded and priced fairly. I've road on the local metro rail system in my city and Amtrak before, and both times I enjoyed it - although, the local rail system in my city is plagued with homeless at times and robbers, but I rarely use it. Although I wished they had more train systems that go all about my city, it would decrease vehicle traffic and pollution levels by many times here or anywhere.

7. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'm assuming you're talking about trains that go interstate or cross-country rather than the urban subways. I've taken a 10 hour long journey interstate within Australia this year. These trains typically are divided into classes and even in coach, they usually offer much more leg-room, carry-on luggage allowance and a huge seat! I find train travel less stressful than air travel although travel time is a huge factor - 2 hours versus 10 hours! Fares are reasonable, but again depends on where you're taking the train, how far the journey is and in what class you travel in. The train I was on also had a cafe carriage and offered hot meals and snacks. The route was also a scenic one, allowing many opportunities for photos! One thing is for sure, you need loads of patience since the journey is really long, at least the train I took (average speed was only 80kmph). If you do enjoy nature, these scenic routes are definitely worth a shot!

8. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I was financially challenged throughout my lifetime. Once when I worked for a tiny airline company, I could afford to fly to my home state. However, there were times that I took the GreyHound bus, or the train from New York City. I only enjoy flying because it is the quickest method I can thing of.
    The bus was the absolute worse. The train was much better because of the rest rooms, and the dinning car. The dinning car rocked from side to side. However, it was like ann experience out of a movie. It took less time than a bus ride. Yet, it was an experience worth remembering.

9. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I think the only way I would travel bu train is if I was traveling a short distance. I use to be terrified of plane's, but sine t traveled by plane the first time, I would always use that method of transportation when traveling some distance.

10. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I would love to travel by train, but every time we plan a trip, it always comes out being more expensive than traveling by any other method. I personally think it would be worth the extra money (if I had the money to spend), to have the experience on the train and have my own cabin. They even have family suites, so there is no need to book lodging. You won't get tired and jet lagged from traveling because you are free to get up and move around any time you want. They usually have food cars, and other entertainment cars to keep you occupied if you get tired of the being in the cabin. I think it would be great. I just have to convince my SO that it's worth it.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I likewise have not yet tried travelling via normal train. My experience with trains is limited to metro rail and light rail transits, which of course are faster with multiple short-distance stops. They may look like modern versions of the steampunk trains we often see in cowboy movies, but they have a different feel to them. Should I find the opportunity to travel through Europe, I'll ride the Eurostar trains.

12. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Taking a train is much like being on a bus, the only thing is, there is more walking or standing space. It can be a little less or just at the price that it takes to take the buses and in terms of comfort level, I would say that it is very comfortable, and very safe as well. I've never seen a lavatory in a train however, during long journeys, the train will break and re-begin its journey. A train is pretty much like a bus, but, it doesn't feel like a bus because it is travelling on a "smooth" surface.

13. Bee14

Bee14New Member

Threads:
    I will have my first experience traveling on a train in February.I told myself that I wanted to travel the world by train someday and I believe 2015 will be the best year for me to go for it.I have heard some great things about traveling by train overall.I like the fact that the long distance trains have sleep accommodations,restrooms,dining area and even quiet room carriages on board.I am a patient person so I think I will be able to pass time while traveling by train very accordingly.I hear that they also have wifi access so I will definitely spend most of my time on my laptop doing online work.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends what country you are talking about. I love trains as they are easy to get on to and the scenery is relaxing and you can see where you are and know the anticipated stops. In Thailand the trains are less luxurious and there is a huge difference between 1st and 3rd class, but it's still cheap and efficient, in the UK it's generally good and also in the US. I also depends on if you are traveling alone and can reserve a seat or not as who you sit near can make a difference. Also be prepared with water and food and your hand luggage, just like a plane so you can relax.

15. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I travel by train quite often since i'm afraid of planes and use them only if I have no other option. Prices are really good and never had any problem with the food, actually it was pretty good. My only concern is that trains are a bit slow when compared to other means of transport.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only traveled the local commuter train which I enjoy. It is the Amtrak that comes thru my area to connect two large cities. It is confortable and has internet on the train.

17. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I had enjoyed travel by train and this would be really having such a good and most fabulous way of fun for sure. So keep sharing like it and this will be massive for everyone of us.