Travel insurance

Discussion in Travel started by Theo • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy it and if you do, do you choose a basic package or one with extensive coverage?
    I bought one last year and bought one with more medical cover (as I was going to the USA), but these days, some include terrorism cover, riots and hijacking as you choose what level of coverage you want for each item!

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on how much I am spending on the trip. If I'm blowing like $1,500-$2,000 for airfare and hotel accommodations, then yes, I would get travel insurance just in case there is a problem with the flights, or there is bad weather, or one of us has a death in the family, stuff like that. But if I am doing something on the cheap, like under $750, then I would not bother with it, and chalk it up as a loss if something came up.

One of the most ridiculous things that happened to me was I had a flight from Detroit to Cleveland, as ridiculous as that may sound, but I had no choice since I could not drive at the time. Anyhow, it got cancelled and delayed indefinitely due to not one, but two planes having problems (we boarded both then were brought back into the airport). I *had* to be at work the very next day, so I had no choice but to pay almost $800 for a flight from Detroit to Cleveland on another plane later in the evening (they only had one lone seat on it, not enough to offer everyone, so I took it). I suppose if I had bought insurance on that I wouldn't have gotten so screwed.