Travel Insurance

Discussion in Travel started by vida_llevares • Dec 2, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Do you still buy travel insurance? Is it necessary and practical?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It depends on the trip. If I'm traveling within the US, nope. If I'm traveling outside the US and only going to be gone a short amount of time, I don't bother. When I moved to Canada, though, I did buy traveler's insurance because I was going to be gone longer and the risk was much higher. It's really not that expensive and is worth it if you're going to be doing anything possibly dodgy like skiing.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased travel insurance. Most of my travel has been short trips with my country, the United States. I am planning on traveling to Brazil with a group for 2 weeks next year. I will buy travel insurance for that trip. I want to be covered in case anything happens.

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've never purchased it. I've also never traveled anywhere exotic. If I were going overseas, I'd buy it too. We have a trip planned to the beach in a few weeks. Now that it's drawing closer I wonder if we should have bought insurance. I'm wondering what if there's a hurricane or someone gets sick.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really looked into what coverage you get with travel insurance. I only travel alone within the country so it's never been an issue before. Family have sorted it out when we've been abroad. Apart from reimbursing you for the cost of lost luggage/passport, what else do you get that's essential?

6. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Always always always always. I'm really clumsy. And I would hate to saddle my parents with huge debt, or get into a situation where because I have no insurance, I'm being treated in a country where they can't handle my injury. Besides, travel insurance is cheap for the most part. So in my mind, it's way better to shell out 124$ for my two month trip to Central America and be sure that if something terrible happens to me, I'm not going to end up putting my family into debt as they try to save my life. Also, I tend to enjoy my travel (and my adventure travel experiences) way more knowing that if I screw up and get hurt, I'm okay.

7. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    You are planning on booking a vacation and you are not sure if you need travel insurance. You have heard the warnings and you know that many travel agents suggest travel insurance as a necessity for any vacation. Since you are planning on spending a lot of money between air fares, hotel reservations, and other arrangements, you feel like it might be a good idea to insure your trip - but is it really necessary?

There are a number of unexpected circumstances that could arise prior to your trip that would make travel insurance vital to you getting your money back. Travel insurance was created to act as a saving grace to people whose trips become cancelled due to these circumstances. Whether the airline unexpectedly goes out of business a week before your trip or you become ill and are unable to travel, travel insurance ensures that your money will be refunded if the travel plans are not carried out as planned. There are a number of areas where travel insurance can help you out while on vacation.

If you are traveling abroad you might want to look into your regular insurance plan to make sure it would cover you in a foreign country. Some insurance plans will not cover medical expenses in other countries or are not accepted in other countries. If this is true of your insurance then any medical expenses or emergencies that may arise while you are away will not be covered. By purchasing travel insurance, you are guaranteed to be covered in any medical situation that may arise.

Since September 11th, break outs of terrorism have plagued not only the United States, but the globe. If a terrorist act suddenly breaks out in an area that you have booked a flight to, the airline is not required to provide you with a refund if you choose not to travel to the area because of terrorism - that is, unless you have travel insurance. Given the unpredictability of these events in today's world, you never know where or when a troubling situation may arise.

Flights can be cancelled at any time for a number of reasons, closing of the airline, inclement weather conditions, and a number of other factors that can not be controlled. In some circumstances flights are not rescheduled and refunds are not given, which means you not only lose your flight but also the amount of money you spent to purchase the ticket. Travel insurance insures your ticket so that no matter what the reason is, for the flight not taking off, you receive your money back.

Have you ever lost your luggage? In many cases airlines find and return the missing baggage but in some cases the luggage is never found. In some other cases, it is discovered that items have been taken from luggage. In this case, travel insurance acts to insure whatever items are lost or stolen so you are able to replace your belongings. Perhaps one of the most appealing aspects of travel insurance is that it protects you from any unforeseen circumstances in your life that may prohibit you from flying. If, for any reason from sickness to a death in the family, you are unable to travel as scheduled, your money will be refunded.

If you do decide to purchase a travel insurance plan, it is important that you research a number of travel insurance companies and plans before deciding on one. Travel insurance is not only a good idea for people traveling by plane, but also on cruise lines. Be sure that the company and plan you choose is the one that best suits you and the travel plans you have made. If you travel frequently, you may want to consider a long term travel insurance policy. Year long insurance policies are available from a number of travel insurance. This provides frequent travelers with constant coverage, rather than having to purchase travel insurance every time they travel. Make sure to cover all the bases and ask plenty of questions when purchasing your travel insurance. Make sure you know that your policy will cover all unforeseen circumstances and you do not end up with a plan that only covers some situations.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased travel insurance and was not aware of what it covered, so I looked it up and discovered travel insurance covers a lot more than cancellations. Benefits include identify theft and vehicle coverage for a rented vehicle and more. Travel insurance coverage my overlap with some other insurance you have, it would be a good idea to check the insurance you have before you purchase additional insurance for your trip.

9. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    It's always best getting travel insurance when you'll travel. It's really worth it if in case something would happen. No one actually knows if you'd ever have an accident while having a vacation, but if you do, it's really a pain in the butt especially the price you'll spend if you don't have travel insurance. It's better to be prepared.

10. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    I always do because you dont know what might happen on your travel and trip. Its better to be prepare than not.

11. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    Travel insurance is not expensive when you weigh up how much you might need to claim if something goes wrong. It is a good idea to have if you intend to hire a car as it will cover the excess from the hire company if you do have an accident. Some people say any insurance is a waste of money but I am always glad to have it and grateful if I don't have to use it!

12. vk kapoor

vk kapoorMember

Threads:
    Travel insurance can protect you in the case of lost or stolen luggage and personal effects, trip cancellation, personal liability, funeral expenses (without wanting to sound morbid, dying overseas can be very very expensive), emergency dental treatment and evacuation back to your country of residence.