Travel tips for your local area

Discussion in Travel started by missbee23 • Dec 10, 2014.

1. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    It always helps to get travel tips from the locals, so I thought we could start a dialogue here where we can share those tips for the area that we live in. I'll go first:

Texas. If you are traveling through Texas, plan your stops well. This is a big state, and most of it is hundreds of miles of NOTHING. So be sure and fill the gas tank before a long stretch. There is one particular stretch of road that always makes me nervous. It is almost 300 miles between gas stations. If you are looking at a map, you will see several small towns, and think that you will just gas up at the next town. WRONG. Some of those "towns" are really ghost towns, and you are unlikely to find a place to gas up. Having apps like Gas Buddy helps, but we didn't have smart phones until recently.

What are some things people should know about where you live?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, technically, smartphones have been around since roughly 2007. That's seven years running now.

If you visit San Diego or Los Angeles, don't hit the busier freeways from 3:00 PM to about 7:00 PM, or you're going to wind up waiting for a very, very long time. Don't bother with fast food either because you can get the best (mostly) authentic Mexican food and Sushi in the country in San Diego. Go to Pacific Beach if you like clubbing, and head to PETCO Park if you wanna see a pretty nice baseball stadium. I've gotten this far into the post and realized I only really made one actual travel tip. Anyways.... ;]

3. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    Oh, I meant my family did not have smart phones until recently, not society in general. I have only had a smartphone for about 2 years.

4. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Hay missbee! Your shared info is really worthwhile for me. Thanks for the lovely tips i am sure it would be useful for all as well as for me.

5. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Kylrey, this information is very helpful for all readers. You are right my friend these tips are really beneficial for us. In these days I am planning a trip to France. Any member gives me some detail about this country or its famous attractions?

6. Bee14

Bee14New Member

Threads:
    If anyone is heading to Saint Louis Missouri make sure you are safe on the main highways as unlawful public officers hang around and monitor the speed you are traveling.Saint Louis weather is very unpredictable so I would suggest to bring a hoodie or two for any season you travel here.Make sure you check out the Delmar Loop which will give you tons to do especially for those who enjoys history and a fun time.For all of my wine lovers make sure to check out the Wine & Cheese Place for a great selection of wine/spirits/liquor/beers..etc.They also have a wonderful selection of cheeses for those who enjoy. The Wine and Cheese place is very affordable as well.

7. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    missbee23 ! You have shared nice suggestions for tourists and locals to be checked before going to Texas. But here I have a question after reading your post that it this true that there are some ghost towns? I heard about it before but I don’t believe that. What will you say about it why people say that there are some ghost towns?

8. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    roki123, I also heard that about this region's ghost towns and want to know is this true or not? I never get a chance to visit these towns. My friend you have any idea about some best and most visited places of France?

9. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Maxwell and roki123! I also agreed with you i never believe in things i think these all are just rumors nothing else. But i heard lot of about Missouri State Penitentiary which is located in US and well known as one of most mysterious and historical buildings. It was build in 1836. i also heard that only some brave visitors could make their visit there at night time. So i decided to visit there after completing my

along with my friend. Is there any member visited there yet??? so must share something about your experiences with me.

10. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    Yes Kylrey, I have been there only visit its Table Rock Lake. I heard a lot of things about this lake and its beauty. I went there about a year ago with my few friends. It is an artificial lake that is located in the southwestern Missouri. This destination is also very famous among the fishers.

table-rock-lake.

[​IMG]

TableRockLake.

11. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Maxwell! Here your shared info is really worthwhile for me. Before reading this i was totally blank about Missouri's attractions. That lake is really beautiful and mesmerizing i must add this in my bucket list. As i already has mentioned above i wanna go for Missouri State Penitentiary's visit. Have you any info about that building??

12. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    Yes Kylrey, I have a little bit information about Missouri State Penitentiary because I also went there during my trip. It is also known as "The Walls" that is located in Jefferson City, Missouri. This spot was constructed in the early 1830s.

13. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Bucharest, Romania.
    If you're planning a whole tour of the country you can see (in no particular order of preference):

• Castles and fortresses in Transylvania:

(read about it beforehand, it has nothing to do with Vlad the Impaler),

(built on a mountain top),

and tens of others.

• Worth mentioning Cetatea Neamțului in Moldova (

). It has been restored and brought back to life a while back.

• More recent castles:

and

etc.

• Medieval cities:

(the largest city in Transylvania). Sighișoara is the largest still inhabited medieval fortress in Europe with walls and towers and stuff.

• Monasteries in Moldova (

etc.). They are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

• We also have a lot of salt mines which I've found particularly impressive (50-80m tall ceilings at around 200m underground):

(with an underground lake and mini amusement park),

(with a grand ballroom),

(closest to Bucharest).
    If you just want to see Bucharest:

• Muzeul Satului (the village museum): contains original houses from all historical regions in Romania showcasing various building techniques and architectures and an amazing variety of style.

• Muzeul Țăranului Român (Romanian Peasant Museum): exhibits about the country life in Romania, tools, costumes, furniture, decorations etc.

• National Art Museum: housed by the former Royal Palace, it has a nice collection of classical paintings both by Romanian and foreign painters.

• Casa Poporului (People's House / The Palace of Parliament): the second biggest building in the world in terms of surface, there are guided tours in English every half hour.

• National Contemporary Art Museum: housed in a wing of the Palace of Parliament. Sometimes it has nice temporary exhibitions and it also has a nice cheap cafe on the top of the building with a beautiful panorama of the city.
    This is all I could think of off the top of my head. If you have certain hobbies or interests maybe I could point you to something more to your taste. By the way, I have seen every item on the list, so I wholeheartedly recommend each and every one of them.

Have a nice trip!

14. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I live pretty far away from all of you. I'm actually residing in the Philippines. Some tips I would probably share to all of you guys is to pack lighter clothes. You wouldn't really need to bring a jacket because it's quite hot and humid, so I suggest packing shorts, tank tops, slippers, etc.

Also, bring money! The Philippines is an awesome place to buy great looking clothes and such affordable prices. You wouldn't believe how much everything is over here.