Travel Writer - The ultimate job for a Globetrotter?

Discussion in Travel started by postergirl • Mar 16, 2014.

1. postergirl

postergirlMember

Threads:
    Would you be a Travel Writer? I can't imagine a better job. I imagine you would have to be single, not own a house, not have any pets or close relationships that demand your presence and attention on a regular basis, but don't you agree that being a Travel Writer is the ultimate occupation? If I ever get the chance to do that, I'm selling The House!

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think it would be awesome, but I don't know if it's necessarily my 'dream job' either. I would happily take the opportunity in order to get to see more of the world. At the same time, I wonder how much it starts to drag on you after a while that instead of simply enjoying a location, you have to consciously be taking pictures or note of certain things and then writing about them all later in a way that people want to read about.

3. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Wanting to be a travel writer really depends on the things your prioritize. If you prioritize getting married and starting family early, then I wouldn't suggest becoming a travel writer. However, if it has always been your dream occupation to be a travel writer, to travel the world and earn by doing what you love, then making a family can wait.

It would be hard if you do not organize your priorities because you'll get to a stage where you don't know what to do. You might have become a travel writer already, however you fell in love and decided to stop working just for that person. You must know your priorities in life. Things can come by surprise, such as a surprise lover or a surprise job trip, so you must know which you think is more important to you at the moment.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm am not sure that is appropriate. All you will be doing is travelling but am sure that sometimes you will be missing what normal people have. I am sure travelling is fun but all the same it is good to have a family at least sense of responsibility.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd considered travel writing earlier in life as a career option but unfortunately the editor of the magazine I applied to informed me that they trained their staff travel writers themselves. Since being a freelance travel writer is hard for a newbie, I wouldn't want to waste time trying my hand at travel writing.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd rather write about food. :) I sometimes phantasise about visiting the best restaurants around the world, sampling their food, and then relive the experiences, good or bad, all over again by writing about them. Being a travel writer would bore me after a while as I would have to constantly think about how to entertain my readers, whereas I would much prefer to just absorb a place and spend quality time with myself or friends. That pressure to run around and check out all the highlights, is definitely not for me. But I'll write you an article about the local cafe or bar any day. :)

7. ap4aaron

ap4aaronNew Member

Threads:
    To me, it would be an okay job. I wouldn't really feel as if I was helping people. Also, I really like to have close relationships. Without my friends, I wouldn't be half the person I am today. I really couldn't live as a full time travel writer.

8. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am a freelance writer and do write some travel articles. These are based on research rather than experience unfortunately. If I could afford to go away regularly I would definitely love to be a travel writer. Why not get paid to enjoy yourself?