Traveling by train?

Discussion in Travel started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 31, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Train travel is certainly not the fastest way to get there, but it can be a pleasant experience. We have a few trips that leave from our city, some are shorter - 3 day trips that return you to the city after a long loop. Other trips are longer and will take you across the country. Unlike driving, you can relax, read, look out at the sites. Sleeping cars allow you to rest while still making progress towards your destination.

While it is not the cheapest way to travel it is inexpensive compared to driving and staying each night in a hotel. When you arrive you are more relaxed as you haven't had the stresses of driving.

Have you ever considered taking the train rather than flying or driving to your destination?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm traveling by train sometimes, yes, but I find that the trip takes much longer than with the car. Sure, you get to save some money and even get group discounts if traveling as a group but if you're like me, a weekend traveler, you want to get to your destination as fast as possible so the train is not the best option. I do agree that it's more relaxing since you don't need to focus on the long drive and sometimes, when I'm having a week off, I tend to travel by train for this exact reason.

3. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Train travel is a very pleasant way to go and i mostly use travel through the train and in future i want that my all travel is toward any place through the train..

4. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, driving or flying is more cost effective and comfortable. I may be slightly biased, though. I had a terrible experience the one time I took a train. The trip was from Richmond to Orlando. It started to rain just as we left the station. That's when the dripping started. I noticed lots of people moving around, but didn't realize the two were connected. I thought the dripping was just air conditioner condensation when it started. Then it began to pick up speed. I asked the attendant if I could move, but I was too late. All of the non-drip seats were taken. Then, there was a delay that changed the trip from nineteen to twenty-one hours. It rained the whole time.

Then, on the return trip, the delay was longer. It took more than a full day because some kids were playing with fireworks on the track somewhere in Georgia. By car, the trip would have been 12-14 hours. Never again.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't consider trains for long distance travel. But I may as long as I don't encounter issues like Amanda did. The only trains I've ridden were the elevated trains going to and from the office when I was still working. There are trains going to certain provinces where I'm from but I still prefer to go by bus or by plane. :)

6. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Kasi! You are absolutely right. Train travel is very amusing and enjoyable. I love to travel by train. It always gives you more experience about the sight among your destination. You can easily capture some images of breathtaking views, talking with other passengers and asked about their travel stories. I think this journey never disappoints you.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind traveling by train every once in a while. It is nice to read or get some work done or watch the scenery go by. Generally where I live it costs about the same for me to fly to destinations so I usually pick that option to save some time. Trains make lots of little stops that really add on to your travel plans. I also don't like transferring trains but that is the same for air travel too.

8. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    Since i'm afraid of planes and use them only if I have no other choice, I travel by train when available. Prices are good compared to the airplane tickets. The only downside is that trains are slower compared to the other means of transportation, but that isn't always a bad thing!

9. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I travel by train quite often. My boyfriend lives in CT and I live in VT. So, when I go to see him, I will take the train. Honestly, I like it more than driving. It's great because I just get to relax the whole way there. The only downside to taking a train is how long it takes. It takes about double the time to get there, then it would in car. All in all, I don't mind taking the train. It's just way better than having to drive there and then back.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have trains for long travels here. The only trains we have are the Metro trains that serve the city for short distance travels only. Sometimes I am dreaming of taking the train for a long ride especially when I see them in the movies. There are trains (in the movies) that have restaurants and sleeping quarters.

11. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I often take a train when I visit home. It is cheaper and honestly such a less of a hassle than flying. For better or worse, the security on trains is not nearly as tight, so the lines go quicker. I suppose it depends on hoe far you are going if a train ride is bearable. It takes me about 8 hours to get home by train as compared to 3 if I am flying.

12. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I usually book my travel using hipmunk, and they will include train routes among your options if there is a route that matches up with yours. The biggest problem I have is that I either need to drive 3 hours to another city to get access to the lines that actually get me where I want to go, or take a separate train line through another company to get from my town to the larger city. Amtrak's website doesn't do a good job of making these secondary routes available to you, so I haven't actually figured out how to do it. They always show me going 12 hours in the wrong direction to change lines and come back through the other way. It's also generally not much cheaper than flying, and takes longer than driving somehow.

I did take a few train rides in high school when I was living in the northeast where commuter trains are more common. I went to NYC a few times and to D.C. on a field trip. (The teacher really liked trains.)

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never really been a train person. Firstly, I don't like public transport. I never feel safe on public transport. Taxis are more expensive, but I will pay the extra money for them if it means avoiding trans and buses. Secondly, I have no idea how to use a train station and the idea of getting on the wrong train or getting lost is entirely too terrifying.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love traveling by train. In the past, when I lived in Europe, I went on long, unforgettable train rides all over the continent. I especially enjoyed traveling in winter, taking in all the beautiful snowy landscapes while being comfortable in a well-heated sleeping compartment. I miss those journeys a lot.

15. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    In Europe, travel by train is definitely the way to go. It is probably the safest when you think about it. I grew up in Germany and traveled to Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam etc. We stayed overnight many times (one time I recall had a bunk bed room, where we could sleep very well!).

However, in the US, I don't think it is the most economical or time-wise choice. Plus, when you get to your location you would have to rent a car.

However it could definitely be fun!!!

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I can think of that is faster is flying.

You can actually save a lot of money on train travel if you are prepared to buy your tickets in advance. I try and book my tickets at least a month in advance and I can sometimes save as much as 70%!

17. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I have found traveling by train across America to actually be a very very pleasant experience. It is sooooo much cheaper than air and train stations are so much more relaxed than airports. Most of the main routes now come with power points and WiFi. the seats are a great size and the cars are often half empty. Also you get the benefit of really seeing the landscape that you are traveling over.

18. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    That is something really a beautiful way to enjoy the time and will have such appealing time always.

19. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree with you Lostvalleyguy!! Train travel may not be the fastest or cheapest but of course it has its own unique charm. And one can enjoy the scenery of your destination without the stress of driving is a huge opportunity.